Solved Pixellation with hardware accel ON - backend independant
Hello,

I have tried out Jarvis rc1 and have significant pixellation issues when watching live TV - freeview UK 1080i content.

I have been discussing some other issues on the forum elsewhere (thread) with Live TV trying to use ServerWMC, however this issue is new since Jarvis and affects WMC and Argus TV backends so I thought it best to start a new thread as it is not specific to ServerWMC.

The setup is a combined front/backend on Windows 7. G620T processor with intel graphics. As I say there were some existing issues but I have added a video clip below of the newly introduced problem with 16rc1 which is much worse than the odd frame skipping I had before. This is the same on live TV or playback of recordings.

I have updated intel graphics driver and turned off all image processing settings etc - otherwise my system has not changed apart from upgrade to Jarvis rc1.

Turning OFF hardware acceleration (DXVA) the video plays back without this effect so something seems to have changed there. Deinterlacing on/off makes no difference.

Clips of the problem: (excuse child noises in the background!)
clip 1
clip 2

log whilst watching recording showing the above pixellation
I've also found that since upgrading to Jarvis my live tv picture is not as good. Interested to hear what anybody has to say about it. I'm using server WMC.
I've also learned it the hard way: Jarvis only supports DirectX 11!
Your Intel HD graphics (if it is Sandy Bridge) only supports DirectX 10.1.
Time to buy something new. Sadly!
(2016-01-26, 12:22)pünktchen Wrote: I've also learned it the hard way: Jarvis only supports DirectX 11!
Your Intel HD graphics (if it is Sandy Bridge) only supports DirectX 10.1.
Time to buy something new. Sadly!

Yes the G620T is Sandybridge, HD2000 integrated graphics... that's a shame if that's the case - I didn't think it was that old tech already (launched 2011)!
Just read the release announcement for 16rc1 which says:

"Implement the more future proof DirectX11 for Windows which still works for DirectX9 video cards"

I must be reading this wrong but does that not imply that my card (which supports up to DX10.1 according to pünktchen) should still work?
Your card is working because you have a picture ;-)
But all those picture enhencements like deinterlacing do not work anymore if your graphics card doesn't fully support DirectX 11.
Just to follow up on this.. I had a spare GT610 card which I put into my HTPC and there is no more pixellation, so clearly GPU related and presumably DX11 related as punktchen indicated.

So problem kind of solved although I had been using the integrated graphics to minimize energy usage and heat to minimize the need for cooling fans (=less noise!).. I'll post in the DX11 bug reporting thread linking to here in case it is relevant..
Looks like FFmpeg bug. Here is fix https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/...cf1a22bad4 but the fix doesn't present in branch which Kodi uses.
(2016-01-27, 12:22)afedchin Wrote: Looks like FFmpeg bug. Here is fix https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/...cf1a22bad4 but the fix doesn't present in branch which Kodi uses.

Ok, does that mean it will at some point make its way into the ffmpeg that Kodi uses?
Not that it's a showstopper for me right now but if the fix does make it in eventually I'd rather not have the extra video card in there for the sake of it!
see the thread HERE i´ve the same problem.
I use the HD2000 because it´s more than enough for kodi and i do not want to switch to an external graphics...

So, i would be very happy if the fix could be implemented in Kodi!
@kitehigh, @junias
can you provide a little sample of problem video or a recording of LiveTV for a couple of minutes?
in the first post there are two example videos...
but i can look, if i can provide one too Wink
I expect afedchin means the actual video files? Those were just videos of my TV playing the files. I'll try and get a file when I get a chance. .
@kitehigh is right. I need video files which played with the issue.
is there anything new about this problem??
Or do you still need video files? If yes, i will record 2 minutes of a programme and will upload it and send you the link...
In the meanwhile it´s not possible to watch hd live tv :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pixellation with hardware accel ON - backend independant0