• 3(current)
Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)
legitreviews Wrote:On one side of the board you can see the mini-DisplayPort 1.2 connector, two SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit LAN, HDMI 1.4a header and the systems power port.

Ouch, hope this is not the final design.
so hdmi in normal format not mini ?
(2015-08-20, 12:48)Roby77 Wrote: so hdmi in normal format not mini ?
Looks full size to me.
HDMI is full size but not 2.0, according to legitreviews.
It has too much lacking still for me. The majority of my HEVC content (nothing 4K) plays fine on my current boxes, so I'm going to wait for HEVC Main10 and HDMI 2.0 now. Luckily I'm over my "have to buy the latest tech" craze and am again focussed on boxes that do what I want them to do, rather than new toys. Let's see what the next generation brings.
Don't think I'm going to make the leap away from Haswell Celerons until HDMI 2.0 arrives properly.

AnandTech: Intel's Skylake GPU - Analyzing the Media Capabilities
Ganesh T S Wrote:Skylake brings a lot of benefits to content creators - particularly in terms of improvements to Quick Sync and additional image processing options (including real-time 4Kp60 RAW import). However, it is a mixed bag for HTPC users. While the additional video post processing options (such as LACE for adaptive contrast enhancement) can improve quality of video playback, and the increase in graphics prowess can possibly translate to better madVR capabilities, two glaring aspects prove to be dampeners. The first one is the absence of full hardware acceleration for HEVC Main10 decode. Netflix has opted to go with HEVC Main10 for its 4K streams. When Netflix finally enables 4K streaming on PCs, Skylake, unfortunately is not going to be the power efficient platform that it could have been. The second is the absence of a native HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 video output. Even though a LSPCon solution is suggested by Intel, it undoubtedly increases the system cost. Sinks supporting this standard have become quite affordable. For less than $600, one can get a 4K Hisense TV with HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 capability. Unfortunately, Skylake is not going to deliver the most cost-effective platform to utilize the full capabilities of such a display.
Sorry to bump this thread. I've never owned a NUC. I'm interested in buying but want to wait for the newer skylake NUCS. WHEN are these skylake NUC's being released?

My setup will be:

Kodi, using external players:

1) 2D playback with MPC-BE and MadVR.
2) 3D Iso and 3D mkv (Top-Bottom) playback with Cyberlink Power DVD
3) Also need all audio formats bitstreamed to my receiver - dts true-hd, dts-hd etc...

I don't care about 4K yet and since only watch movies...4K @24hz should be fine for me if I do decide to go 4K.

Will the skylake NUC be able to satisfy all the above demands? Also have people had success playing 3D iso's flawlessly in the previous generations of Intel NUC's?

thanks!
I'm super interested in this as well, but we haven't heard a peep in months. I'm also really hoping for a Thunderbolt 3 connection as that could potentially solve discrete graphics issues with the NUC.
Wonder what's the delay, I thought it was supposed to be released 3rd quarter.
No idea why there is such a delay. No recent news anywhere about it coming soon.

On a slightly unrelated note: Under Windows, do the i3/i5 NUC's support audio bitstreaming?
(2015-10-31, 16:54)scoochie Wrote: No idea why there is such a delay. No recent news anywhere about it coming soon.

On a slightly unrelated note: Under Windows, do the i3/i5 NUC's support audio bitstreaming?

The Haswell i5 NUC does under both Windows and OpenElec.
(2015-10-31, 16:54)scoochie Wrote: No idea why there is such a delay. No recent news anywhere about it coming soon.

I don't expect the Skylake NUC to be on the shelves this year.

(2015-10-31, 16:54)scoochie Wrote: On a slightly unrelated note: Under Windows, do the i3/i5 NUC's support audio bitstreaming?

Yes.
(2015-11-01, 10:36)trsqr Wrote: I don't expect the Skylake NUC to be on the shelves this year.

That is a bummer! I'll just have to be more patient then.

(2015-10-31, 19:13)noggin Wrote: The Haswell i5 NUC does under both Windows and OpenElec.

(2015-11-01, 10:36)trsqr Wrote: Yes.

Great to know. Thanks!
Not sure when they hit in the US but this seems to be the first place to have some in stock already.
http://pc24.de/prozessor/intel/pentium/b...i3syk.html
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)1