Debug log
good morning, I have been having some issues with Kodi locking up when restarting it from sleep. I enabled debug logging then shut it down and restarted it. Of course it restarted just fine and I could not make it lock up. I then uploaded the log to the xmbc log site, got a id # and url. I never received the e-mail notification so I logged into the XMBX Debug log site and the debug logs are there. I tried twice to upload it and the Id # are pj8ixiwsj, and p6twefpee. Can somebody look at them and see if they make any sense. I think the reason I did not receive a e-mail is because I do not have e-mail on my HTPC. If this is not enough info please let me know what you need. Here is complete url for log
Thanks
Best way of handling a debug log is to simply paste then cut & paste the URL link into the forum message.

e.g. yours would be http://xbmclogs.com/pj8ixiwsj

A cursory scan through the log didn't turn up any abnormalities, which is good news. The issue of Kodi locking up when restarting it from sleep, is a thorny one. Here's a thread indicating some of the issues. In general windows stores away temp ram memory in some sort of disk cache, on wake this memory is restored, but with modern processors there is always some operation that is handled on chip, and this doesn't seem to be handled well. So it';s a crap shoot if the machine wakes undamaged, and using a debug operational jump might be just enough to bring it back alive. With SSD's these days, I just don't see ever using 'sleep mode'. Microsoft is not exactly unaware of these issues.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/266283

I find the Google search engine, the best for tracking the Kodi forums, preface your query with 'Kodi'.
PatK, thanks for the response. I figured that when I restarted it to do the debug log all would be well. I have been thinking of installing a SSD. If I do would you recommend that I set it up to shut down the computer? Only issue with that is if I have recordings scheduled. What is strange is before I switched to Kodi and was using WMC as my PVR and media center, start up was never an issue, It just always seemed to work. I am impressed with all that Kodi has to offer but the wife not so much due to some of the issues with lock ups and screen freezes. I switched to Jarvis RC 1 and it seemed to be some better but still not trouble free. Guess I will have to keep on researching the fixes etc. I am using NextPRv for watching and recording OTA TV, been wondering if ServerWMC might be more stable in conjunction with Kodi? My biggest reason for dropping WMC was all of the guide issues since they switched to ROVI.
Quote:would you recommend that I set it up to shut down the computer?
Really depends on your usage, I sometimes shutdown for the night, too many spinning drives. I find over the years, that shutdown and start up are critical times when equipment fails, usually electrical circuits work best powered, it's the start & stop voltages that breaks things.

Kodi RC1 is a work in progress and if you're experiencing lock-ups & screen freezes, then the team wants to hear about them with a proper debug log Log file/Advanced (wiki) once you get down to the complexity of your set-up there's many variables.

I'm not running a PVR so someone else will have to answer those ServerWMC questions.
PatK, wondering what is the best procedure to use when exiting Kodi for the night or when you want to stop watching TV. Every time I try to shut down Jarvis RC1 using the exit function in the shut down pop up it locks up the computer and that seems to be a common issue. Many times after resuming from sleep it either locks up or starts with a zoomed screen. Just wondering what others are doing to shut it down after using it. Right now my computer is set to sleep when pressing the power button and when It restart it I use the live tv button on the windows remote. This is how I set it up when I was using WMC and the computer always started up WMC with no issues. When I switched to Kodi 15.2 and NextPVR most of the time it started back up from sleep with no issues but once in a while it would act up. After the switch to Jarvis started acting up more than before. What are others doing to shut down and restart?
Not sure what 'others' are using to shut down. Kodi on it's own takes a bit of time shutdown even after the interface has disappeared, takes time to tidy up, cup network connections and write out the user log etc. Putting it to sleep mode might impinge on this task closing down, perhaps in the past things were simpler. Use the log with the debug turned on; notepad will allow you to see if there's any issues or calls holding up the show. Kodi should exit ~30 seconds any longer and you're dealing with something holding it all up. 3rd party add-ons are famous for holding up the works, waiting on a URL that no longer exists and waiting for some timeout that never comes.

I personally use the shut-off computer with Kodi, and it behaves well, I do use a TV card, but Kodi doesn't like it.
I decided to switch back to WMC for a couple of days to see if I had any start up or freezing issues. It worked just fine, no screen freezing or start up lock ups and just worked fine. I tried to get it to act up by fast forwarding, pausing, rewinding multiple pushes of the select button etc and it never once acted up. Today I uninstalled Kodi RC1 and renamed the user data files and then installed Jarvis RC2 fresh along with ServerWMC. I will try this set up for a few days to see if it acts up. I am suspecting thet NextPVR that I was using as my PVR before might be the cause of some of my problems will see what happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Debug log0