Going back to WMC.
After trying to get Kodi working reliably as a WMC replacement I am tired of the constant crashes and lock ups. I have tried 15.2, Jarvis Beta 4,Beta 5, RC1 & 2 it does not seem to be getting better. I thought that Maybe NextPVR was the cause so I switched to ServerWMC and all was well for 2 days and the lockups are back. Every time there is a issue with a weak signal coming in my OTA antenna I get the buffering message and Kodi locks up and the only to get it running is reboot the computer. I can run WMC as my PVR and it runs fine with no lock ups even if the signal is weak etc It just pauses and resumes when the signal is strong again. Today was the last straw for the wife. She started watching OTA TV and when she switched channels she got the buffering pop up and then the :Error message exception caught on main loop exiting) then a black screen and had to restart computer. We watched TV for about two hours tonight and paused a recording we were watching as soon as I restarted the recording it locked up and I had to shut it down. I restarted computer and switched to WMC and all is well again. Tomorrow morning I will uninstall Kodi and let WMC do my PVR work. I will follow the forums and when I see that Jarvis is stable I may try it again. This last update of Jarvis 16 RC2 was a clean install with only Live TV enabled and It still was causing problems. From watching the forums here I see I am not the only one having problems. I tried to do debug logs but it seems if I enable the debugging log and restart it will not act up. Wish there was a way to enable debugging without the it showing up on the screen. Good luck all, hope the issues get corrected. I will stop back in from time to time to see how thing are progressing.
If you do enable the silent debug log, post it to http://xbmclogs.com/ and link it back here, when one of those 'strikes' happen and we'll see if we can find what is giving you all the grief. I thought WMC is still available for $, they sell it but don't offer support, that's a bummer. The old saying, happy wife is a happy life holds to this day.
(2016-02-03, 16:22)PatK Wrote: If you do enable the silent debug log, post it to http://xbmclogs.com/ and link it back here, when one of those 'strikes' happen and we'll see if we can find what is giving you all the grief. I thought WMC is still available for $, they sell it but don't offer support, that's a bummer. The old saying, happy wife is a happy life holds to this day.

They quit selling new keys for it, and for Win10 you have to have had it in 7/8 and hack 10 for it to run. I think there might be a need to look at how Kodi responds when a video streaming source is buffering. I don't know that this is just a problem with the wmc client. I do more playback of recorded OTA via wmc client rather than live tv, so not so much an issue I see.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
They quit selling new keys for it, and for Win10 you have to have had it in 7/8 and hack 10 for it to run. I think there might be a need to look at how Kodi responds when a video streaming source is buffering. I don't know that this is just a problem with the wmc client. I do more playback of recorded OTA via wmc client rather than live tv, so not so much an issue I see.

scott s.
I am using Win 7 home premium in my HTPC and have no problems of time shifting OTA live TV with WMC or watching OTA recordings either. The problems start when I use Kodi and a PVR backend either NextPVR or ServerWMC. I think that Kodi cannot handle the buffering and either locks up or shuts down. I tried using NextPVR by its self to watch live OTA TV and was able to timeshift, pause and rewind and it did not lock up or freeze. Back in December when I was looking into a replacement for WMC I downloaded J-River MC and tried it out and when I was using it I did not have the lock up issues either. The reason I did not go with it is it also uses Rovi for guide and I had already bought a yearly subscription to Schedules Direct and it cannot be used with JRiver. As I said I havenot completely given up on Kodi, But I just have to go with WMC for now to keep the wife happy. I really wish the Kodi Team would try to get Kodi working better as a OTA PVR that can replace WMC in the future when all support for it is completely dropped.
So how about attacking this from another perspective. I agree that WMC was more graceful in recovering from weak signal strength. I live 50 miles from Chicago transmitters and have experienced similar issues. One suggestion would be to add a quality signal booster to your OTA antenna. I found that if I connected just one TV to the antenna signal, all was fine. When I connect 5, it has fits. Once I added the amplifier, I have solid signal on all stations 97% of the time. One station gives me issues certain mornings, but I can live with that.

I've used WMC for nearly a decade and know that it is truly MS finest creation. With that said, Kodi is a great alternative and most importantly continues to be supported. I would encourage you to work through this because WMC is really not viable without major hacks that are simply not worth the effort. I'm also using NextPVR and have had great success with it. Again, signal strength is paramount.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going back to WMC.0