• 85(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
i notice on my c2 whether it be Stock, Raybuntu build or Wrsxtasy, media build if you leave it idle for long time the lan light on the c2 turns off
Just bought odroid c2. Any setting tips for best video performance?
HI,
I'm looking for a player with best possible Live TV deinterlacing and upscaling (SD->HD). Currently I'm using an Intel N3150 with Kodi v17, it is really very nice for live TV, deinterlacing is VAAPI-MCDI, pscaling is Lanczos3 Optimised. I'm very satisfied with the quality, especially since EGL is introduced to Kodi.

I do have an Rpi2, I tried LE and while it MMAL-Advanced is very good at deinterlacing, it is still not as good as Intel's MCDI, To be honest, didn't try it for some time now, used the Intel hw for last 6 months or so (maybe Rpi has even better deinterlacing now). SD upscaling is much better on Intel, I guess Rpi is not powerful enough to do Lanczos3 optimized.

I like the C2 based on description and price, but could you tell me what can I expect in terms of deinterlacing quality compared to Intel MCDI and Rpi MMAL-Advanced? Is it as good as Intel?
What about SD->HD upscaling?

I would like to run LE, and would need HD audio and PCM 5.1 audio to work and CEC (the same as it works with Rpi and Intel + Pulse8).

Thanks for your comments!
(2017-03-20, 15:15)gurabli Wrote: HI,
I'm looking for a player with best possible Live TV deinterlacing and upscaling (SD->HD). Currently I'm using an Intel N3150 with Kodi v17, it is really very nice for live TV, deinterlacing is VAAPI-MCDI, pscaling is Lanczos3 Optimised. I'm very satisfied with the quality, especially since EGL is introduced to Kodi.

I do have an Rpi2, I tried LE and while it MMAL-Advanced is very good at deinterlacing, it is still not as good as Intel's MCDI, To be honest, didn't try it for some time now, used the Intel hw for last 6 months or so (maybe Rpi has even better deinterlacing now). SD upscaling is much better on Intel, I guess Rpi is not powerful enough to do Lanczos3 optimized.

Pi uses Mitchell Netravali filtering, not Lanczos I believe. Mitchell Netravali is well regarded, but may be more neutral. From memory Lanczos introduces a bit of sharpening - so adds artefacts (which some people like)?

Quote:I like the C2 based on description and price, but could you tell me what can I expect in terms of deinterlacing quality compared to Intel MCDI and Rpi MMAL-Advanced? Is it as good as Intel?
What about SD->HD upscaling?

I would like to run LE, and would need HD audio and PCM 5.1 audio to work and CEC (the same as it works with Rpi and Intel + Pulse8).

Thanks for your comments!

CEC works on C2 these days under LibreElec. Deinterlacing is good - I've not sat down and compared it massively between Intel MCDI and Pi 3 with MMAL Advanced. I think the ODroid may also introduce some edge sharpening during deinterlacing (something I personally don't like) but if it does it is mild.

Can't really talk about the upscaling - most of what I watch is 1080i/p or 720p (and 720p to 1080p upscaling is quite minor)
C1/C2 does standard AMLogic - Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing Hardware deinterlacing.

the S905 / C2 Edge Enhancing is not as aggressive as the older S805 / C1. It's all fine in either case, I just adjust the sharpening TV settings if needed.
I cannot tell the difference between the C2 deinterlacing and that of my 2 year old 4K TV. I watch a lot of Fast Action Football on the C2 - Advanced Motion adaptive is great for that.

There is no Lancos3 - optimsed upscaling - not enough CPU ponies - just the standard Kodi Nearest Neighbour and Bi-Linear
You really are going to have to stick with Intel if you want both high deinterlacing and Lancos3-optimised in the one package.

I'm like Noggin - most is content is 720 > 1080p with my 4K TV giving further high quality 1080 > 2160p upscaling output. I've no complaints.

We use the same LibCEC as RPi now AML patches have been included into official Pulse8 code for LibreELEC. No extra Pulse8 Hardware needed.

All Android Kodi Krypton PVR clients have major issues with reliable deinterlacing. They are not recommended at all.

Which remind me, next version of Krypton I need to re-introduce 5.1 AC3 passthrough for TV.

@noggin and @wrxtasy
Thank you for the detailed answers!

Intel VAAPI-MCDI looks really much better then RPi2 MMAL-Advanced. Regular users probably wont spot so easily the difference, as MMAL-Advanced is already beautiful. But running side by side with the same content (Live TV pass feed 1080@50) MCDI looks better, it is very smooth, and natural. For me the MMAL-Advance is not enough as I use DVB-S2 and DVB-T only with Kodi and VDR/Tvh.

I guess it remains to test the C2's Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing Hardware deinterlacing and see how does it compare to Intel's MCDI.

Upscaling: family still watches some SD content Live TV (no HD available), it is not required for me at all. I also watch only 720p or 1080p/i. Lanczos3 Optimized is really great for poor SD Live TV (51" Samsung plasma screen). It is way nicer then Rpi. Anyway, SD on 51" plasma is a joke, no matter of upscaling.

4K is not needed for me at all. I do need h265 10bit encoding (and hopefully output too), as I would like to be able to play h265 10bit content on 1080p.

Andorid is not an option at all, only LE, since I need stable Tvh client (backend running on home server). Nice to hear full CEC support, I use my TV's remote to control TV, Kodi and AVR (well, AVR over network too, Denon).

I'm not sure if Odroid handles audio passthrough the same way as Intel: if audio passthrough is enabled, then Sync Playback to Display is turned OFF by Kodi. However, for perfect playback, it is best to keep Sync Playback to Display ON, and send PCMI multi channel audio to AVR. This would work with C2, correct?

I read the hw section, but you guys have really a lot experience, how does the Wetek (the strongest, Play 2?) comes in comparison with C2, and Intel, considering live TV deinterlacing?
No need for Sync Playback to display with AMLogic - they use Frame Rate Automation and manipulate the HDMI clock for Fractional Refresh Rates (23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps) for smooth video playback.
I've never touched that option ever on AMLogic devices.

AML LE Krypton on has had a LOT of video Sync work put into it. Kodi now has more control vs bypass rendering that AML Kodi Jarvis was using.

Unable to answer about Multichannel PCM Audio. I've no AVR. Reports are it all works, as well as HD Audio Passthrough.

10bit HEVC decoding but color is dithered to 8bit output. I don't have a 10bit Display / TV anyway

All AML S9xx devices will implement the same deinterlacing.

C2 has better CEC control due to Hardkernel giving us Open Source U-boot code vs any other AML S905.
Also we can Overclock both CPU and RAM with the C2, due to that big heatsink. Not currently possible on any other S9xx's.

Every bit helps Smile

Recommend eMMC Flash Storage if you want decent snappy speed after coming from Intel, that likely had HDD or SSD storage.

Thanks again for the detailed answer!
I don't have 10bit display, and I don't really care about it.
Yes, the Intel box I use has an SSD, everything very fast and snappy.
Lookimg at the Brix and Beebox prices, I might be better with getting a Brix. Will think over again.

Sent from Tapatalk from my Z5 Compact
(2017-02-11, 14:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Others users just simply use HDMI-CEC control to Shutdown everything HDMI connected in one hit with the TV remote's power button.
(and Power everything back On again)

Could you explain better?

When i shutdown my TV, my AVR also turns off but odroid keeps running... Am i missing something?

*sorry for my poor english
Check: settings/system/input/peripherals/click peripherals/click CEC adapter
Add-on : Bluray iso utils Rewrite of BR_iso_enhancements
Add-on : BR_iso_Enhancements Give theatrical & directors cut from the same bluray iso each their own library entry, use bluray iso's of tv shows as if they are already ripped.
C2 from Ameridroid back in stock, mine went in the mail yesteday
I still didn't give up on getting an Odroid C2. Deinterlacing is better or at least the same as with Rpi2/3?

If I get an eMMC, then it will be way faster then Rpi2 witb mSD? I hate the very slow GUI of Rpi2.

I guess an 8GB eMMC is enough for LE?

Plenty fast with eMMC and LE on the C2. Quite a bit faster than the 'ol RPi2.

8GB is plenty unless you have a Mega Massive Media Library.

AMLogic uses excellent Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing Hardware deinterlacing - its very good on the C2. Smile

I think I will try the C2. You convinced meSmile Live tv (especially football) is important for me.
I don't have a mega library, but even then I can use MySql library on my server (which is good for having everything in sync between all deviced running Kodi).
It is cheaper then a NUC and has better support, including h265 10bit.

Looking at 3D, not that it matters too much, but can the C2 playback mkv over and under and side by side 3D content properly?
And what about the color space output? Intel can have Limited range and FullRGB with Dithering. How does the C2 handles this?

• 85(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610