• 5(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-03-06, 13:34)noggin Wrote: So far I've managed to get DTS and DD bitstreaming to work (I think I had to go into Android system settings and adjust Media Volume to 100% as prior to that I just had noise instead) I get drop-outs on DTS HD-MA stuff bitstreamed as DTS, but DD seems solid. (Feeding into an Onkyo NR616)

No HD Audio bitstreaming options, and if I select more than 2.0 speakers for PCM multichannel output I get silence.

As an Android solution (albeit without high quality Netflix) the C2 is looking promising, particularly with HEVC stuff (and 2160/59.94p HEVC stuff is very impressive).

It's nowhere near as plug-n-play as the Pi 3 - which is now my favoured player for day to day use - but if the 4.4LTS kernel development happens and/or we get a decent OpenElec port, it could be very promising indeed.
I take it this is with WeTek's Jarvis mediaplayer that has the AML HD Audio patches in it. ?

I've had a bit of a disaster updating to HardKernels new v1.0 Android Lollipop release and have let them know about it as well - with both barrels !

Android GUI Video Scaling is all wrong, the new Android Lollipop GUI settings are missing, permission errors, any version of Kodi is now unusable. There is a whole bunch of stuff kaput.
No bloody quality control. I've asked them to withdraw the update. Sad

I'm running selfinstall-odroidc2-eng-s905_5.1.1_master-198-v1.0.img downloaded from the mirror site here http://www.odroid.in/mirror/dn.odroid.co...ODROID-C2/ and flashed to eMMC

The Christian Troy Wetek Media Player downloaded from github as an apk is working fine for me.
(2016-03-06, 13:34)noggin Wrote: if I select more than 2.0 speakers for PCM multichannel output I get silence.
At least it is not causing system freeze. On the Minix U1, if you select more than 2.0 channels, the whole box freezes. So in XBMC for Minix, the channel selection option has been removed and LPCM, mulitchannel AAC etc. are forced transcoded to AC3. I know WeTek S905 device seems to have multichannel PCM support (according to CT's posts). Not sure how it is on other S905 devices.
Looks like the S905 in the C2 may be an earlier revision than the one Wetek are planning to use for the Play 2. A 2160/50p 10bit HEVC test sequence I've just played that apparently works OK on later revisions of the S905 pixellates on my C2 at a couple of points.
(2016-03-06, 21:37)noggin Wrote: Looks like the S905 in the C2 may be an earlier revision than the one Wetek are planning to use for the Play 2. A 2160/50p 10bit HEVC test sequence I've just played that apparently works OK on later revisions of the S905 pixellates on my C2 at a couple of points.
Where can I find this test sequence? Is it the Astra channel recording?
(2016-03-06, 21:53)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 21:37)noggin Wrote: Looks like the S905 in the C2 may be an earlier revision than the one Wetek are planning to use for the Play 2. A 2160/50p 10bit HEVC test sequence I've just played that apparently works OK on later revisions of the S905 pixellates on my C2 at a couple of points.
Where can I find this test sequence? Is it the Astra channel recording?

It was shared with me to test the C2. Not sure I can share it without permission.
(2016-03-06, 22:35)noggin Wrote: It was shared with me to test the C2. Not sure I can share it without permission.
That's alright. @droidelec has PMed me the link.
Noggin how did you manage to set your resolution to 2160p? I tried changing it in the Odroid settings and it wouldn't allow it. Kept reverting to 720p. Thanks
(2016-03-07, 06:08)MaDeMaNN Wrote: Noggin how did you manage to set your resolution to 2160p? I tried changing it in the Odroid settings and it wouldn't allow it. Kept reverting to 720p. Thanks

I just used the ODroid Utility to select 2160/50p 4:2:0. It changed resolution and asked me if I wanted to keep it, and I selected yes.

I'm using a 32GB eMMC that came with Android. I've since flashed this with their update (I didn't do an OTA update, I re-flashed from their disk image)
Do not do an OTA update to Android OS v1.0
It's not working properly at all, and will render the C2 pretty useless for Kodi use.

As Noggin said download a full Android v1.0 OS .img and reflash your SD Card or eMMC from scratch.
I'm now back in business and WeTek Jarvis mediaplayer and Kodi v17 are working semi-properly again. Smile

Thanks Noggin. I did install the img as recommended to via my SD card. I have tried 2160/60p and 2160/24p and 2160/30p and none worked, I figured that the 2160/50p was compatible with the Euro refresh rate. I will give it a try tonight. What is your over thoughts on eMMC is it a pretty big step up from SD cards? Can you point me to which version Kodi you are using? I am using this one 16.0-Jarvis-WeTekMediaPlayer-v1. Thanks again guys
(2016-03-07, 00:50)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 22:35)noggin Wrote: It was shared with me to test the C2. Not sure I can share it without permission.
That's alright. @droidelec has PMed me the link.

You was able to test it on some S905 device?
(2016-03-07, 22:46)droidelec Wrote: You was able to test it on some S905 device?
Yes, I tested in on Minix U1. There are no video glitches. The problem is with audio. It will not play the Dolby Digital Plus track. When you disable passthrough in XBMC for Minix or WeTek Media Player, it will play in stereo.

Edit: Checked again (paying more attention). In addition to the audio issue, video glitches are also present on the Minix U1.
HD to Multichannel PCM audio decoding only works on the WeTek Core when using the WeTek Jarvis mediaplayer.

From memory custom work was done on the HAL in the OS itself for Android Audio on the Core. This is covered by an Apache Licence, so does not need to comply with the usual GPL redistribution rules.

@MaDeMaNN, not sure about SD vs eMMC performance differences on this new C2 with Android. I do know with OpenELEC on the C1 it's pretty snappy even with an old Class 6 Sandisk SD card. Fast DDR3 SDRAM makes a difference as well.

If you were doing a lot of random 4K Write operations to the eMMC you would notice a difference compared to just read operations from a fast Class 10 SD card. There are charts showing relative speeds here:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...5457216438

Try disabling amcodec in the Kodi Settings > Video > Acceleration menu and only use mediacodec for video and for refresh rate switching.

amcodec is broken for the S905 in the C2 as the old Video Switching mode hooks like 1080p have now changed their names in the S905 Kernel to 1080p60Hz. Try playing 1080p 23.976fps video and you will get a black screen with amcodec because of this.
Use mediacodec, but beware that does not hardware decode mpeg2 Interlaced content.

(2016-03-08, 04:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 22:46)droidelec Wrote: You was able to test it on some S905 device?
Yes, I tested in on Minix U1. There are no video glitches. The problem is with audio. It will not play the Dolby Digital Plus track. When you disable passthrough in XBMC for Minix or WeTek Media Player, it will play in stereo.

Pay attention to end of clip when black pattern and white letters are shown, pixelation and distortion is there, no matter if Kodi or MoviePlayer.

noggin found it as well.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610