• 41(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
Out of curiousity : why can we have Krypton working on Raspberry and only Jarvis on Odroid?
There is a pre-release LibreELEC version of Krypton for the Odroid C2 that you can download and install, just like the Raspberry Pi. Check out their site.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
(2016-09-05, 22:31)propergol Wrote: Out of curiousity : why can we have Krypton working on Raspberry and only Jarvis on Odroid?

I'm using the latest LE Krypton for C2, LE 7.90.005 ,and I can say it works pretty well and it is snappy and I'm running it from the microsd card.
Till now I have no complaints, with my setup, and after a few more days of testing I might write the image on the eMMC that currently has LE 7.1.0
Until you test deinterlacing reliability with Live TV, DVD ISO playback, and then 23.976/29.97/59.94fps video sync, and look for 41 second video frame upsets when Kodi Dynamic refresh switching is used.

There is currently no AML Frame Rate Automation for those Fractional Refresh Rates for smooth video playback on any AML Krypton Platform, unless something has drastically changed lately. This is the reason why a bunch of us AML developers have held off releasing AML Krypton community versions, because they simply are not up to spec.

I may have time to have another look at AML Krypton, been a bit busy with LE 7.1 on the WeTek Play2. Wink

(2016-09-06, 12:37)wrxtasy Wrote: I may have time to have another look at AML Krypton, been a bit busy with LE 7.1 on the WeTek Play2. Wink
<Off Topic> Are the internal DVB tuners supported nicely as /dev/dvb devices in LE? (Do they play nicely with TV Headend?)
Yes.

I'm using TvHeadend 4.0.9 for testing DVB-T/T2/C on the Play2, with WeTek modded and supplied Firmware for LibreELEC.
Its a Sony CXD2837 T/T2/C single tuner.

Two demodulators show up in TvHeadend:
DVB-C #0
DVB-T #0

From there it just the standard TvHeadend configuration you would use with any DVB Tuner.
I see no difference with TvHeadend on the Play2, to using any other tuner with TvHeadend and LibreELEC.

Hi there,

My Odroid C2 arrived last week and I just wanted to share my opinions about the little box. I apologise for such a big post in advance! Only read if you have some time to kill Blush Any serious issues I might have I will post seperatly once I have used the C2 for more time.

First of all, I come from a full x86 Intel PC and I have never had a RPi or anything similar. So the first thing that struck me was how small the Odroid actually is. I was expecting small, but not that small. It's hardly bigger than a credit card! Very cool.

I've ordered it with a 16Gb eMMC card and it took me a while to get access to it to wipe it and get LE with Kodi Jarvis on it. In the end it was an issue of the Card Reader of my Dell laptop not recognising the card and I just had to use another laptop. But it took me a while to figure that out Smile Once the image was on the eMMC it was plain sailing. Installed like a charm. Thank you wrxtasy...you're the man! Big Grin

In general, the navigation through Kodi is very good. Maybe not as good as my x86 pc (even though it is 8 years old) but nothing to complain about. It's quick and snappy. I scanned my entire database from scratch (I don't have many movies or music) and scanning, cleaning and rescanning is very quick.

The Infrared sensor worked out of the box with my Windows MC Remote, great! My Trust wireless keyboard with trackball worked instantly also. Only a few buttons which were recognised on the x86 platform are not recognised here, like the Content Menu button or the Favourites button, but Keymapper helped out there. No problem. I expected more problems with USB peripherals to be honest.

So far so good and in general it is all I was hoping for. I leave it on 24/7 and it gets quite hot but not to levels that worry me. The CPU stays below 80ºC and you can touch the box without getting burned, so I think that's all ok.

Now some things that I'm not really convinced about. I haven't used it too much yet to give a detailed test report or anything like that, they're just some first impressions:

I've had it for about a week now and I've already seen the memory fill up to 1,6Gb twice and not reducing. I'm not sure what caused it, I think it has something to do with database scanning. In normal operation it uses about 700Mb. So that's good, the same my x86 Kodi used. But I'm glad the C2 has 2Gb, I wouldn't be comfortable with 1Gb.

This one is really weird. I have detected that some videos start running between 5 and 10 seconds into the video. I think I only detected it on x265 videos but I'm not sure. It's very strange, because it's just a few seconds and has nothing to do with continuing the video where I left off. I'll need to test this better to find a pattern.

I have noticed that popup windows that show up over fullscreen video do not refresh very well. The clearest example I can give is pressing L to toggle through the subtitle languages. If you hit it multiple times, the subtitle language is actually changed 3 or 4 times, depending on the times you hit L, but the screen does not show the change. It just shows the first change. The only way to actually see what you are doing is hitting it once, wait for the popup to disapear, and then hit it again.

Almost all my videos have multiple audio streams and here is where I have noticed the biggest struggle for the C2. I have assigned changing the language to a keyboard button and man, changing the audiotrack seems to be a very big deal to the C2. It takes a long time to restart the video with the new sound and more importantly, many, many times it desynchronizes the audio with the video. I have the feeling that in general, even without changing the audiotrack, sound is often desynchronized with the video (just miliseconds, something that gets worse if you swap audiotracks). It might be that I'm just obsessed by it now and I'm to picky in checking the voice aligns with the face and mouth movements. But I kind of lost confidence the C2 aligns the sound with the picture correctly. I've turned off the option to sync the video with the display, which I never used anyway since I find that an illogical option. But I normally used the option to sync my display to the video, and just in case I also turned this option off. But still I think I have delays. The C2 goes through HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver and Passthrough for everything in Kodi and this has always worked perfectly for me on the PC.

Like I said, I might be obsessive saying that this happens without changing the audio track but once you start toggling through the audio tracks, Kodi on the C2 struggles, jumps through the video and many times desyncs the audio. Maybe someone else has the same experience?

Anyway, in general I'm very happy with the little Odroid C2, it does what it needs to do and does it well with minimum power usage. I just hope with a lot more use it will restore my faith in the Audio/Video syncing.
In depth testing till it breaks... Ha ha, looks like you have found the soft AMLogic LibreELEC Audio underbelly !! Wink

I have no AVR to test, but from user reporting back I seem to recall if any HDMI AVR is involved, a slight ms Audio setup tweak from the Kodi OSD is needed, then "Save as default for all Videos"

No idea what is going on with switching Audio tracks to be honest. AML Audio needs a LOT of work put into it, both in LE / Linux and Android. It really needs some long overdue attention from knowledgable Kodi Audio - AML Kernel guys. I will be releasing an modded HDMI Audio test version soonish.

Sync playback to display does nothing on AML devices as video Bypass rendering is used. Kodi has no control.

The Kodi Temperature readout actually over reads as well on the C2. I leave mine on 24/7, and never experience any slowdowns or crashes.

Make sure you are using the latest .tar LE 7.1 update that fixes a bad memory leak in Kodi too:

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.fixmemleak.tar

I have found on the 1GB Hub, if you use the Video Cache Settings from Example #4 found here (ie 450MB of free RAM reqd), you can actually crash a 1GB AML device regularly. I now use Example #3 on the Hub and all if good !
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

LE 7.1 on the C2 is using Example #4 by default to help with 4K video playback buffering.

I will receive my C2 in the next hours Smile

I have downloaded the SD creation tool that itself downloaded LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.90.005.img.gz

I am confused : is you version LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.fixmemleak.tar newer than the one downloaded by the sd creation tool?
(2016-09-06, 14:19)wrxtasy Wrote: In depth testing till it breaks... Ha ha, looks like you have found the soft AMLogic LibreELEC Audio underbelly !! Wink

I have no AVR to test, but from user reporting back I seem to recall if any HDMI AVR is involved, a slight ms Audio setup tweak from the Kodi OSD is needed, then "Save as default for all Videos"

No idea what is going on with switching Audio tracks to be honest. AML Audio needs a LOT of work put into it, both in LE / Linux and Android. It really needs some long overdue attention from knowledgable Kodi Audio - AML Kernel guys. I will be releasing an modded HDMI Audio test version soonish.

Sync playback to display does nothing on AML devices as video Bypass rendering is used. Kodi has no control.

The Kodi Temperature readout actually over reads as well on the C2. I leave mine on 24/7, and never experience any slowdowns or crashes.

Make sure you are using the latest .tar LE 7.1 update that fixes a bad memory leak in Kodi too:

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.fixmemleak.tar

I have found on the 1GB Hub, if you use the Video Cache Settings from Example #4 found here (ie 450MB of free RAM reqd), you can actually crash a 1GB AML device regularly. I now use Example #3 on the Hub and all if good !
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

LE 7.1 on the C2 is using Example #4 by default to help with 4K video playback buffering.

Thanks for the quick reply wrxtasy and taking the trouble of going through my brick! Smile

First of all, you don't have an AVR?? WTF? We should all chip in and get you one for your work Smile Although I kinda have the feeling that if you don't have one, you don't want one Smile

Thanks for the tips, I'll update to LE 7.1 version you mention ASAP just so you have another tester. But memory has not caused any actual problem on my C2 yet, no crashes or anything.

Good to know about others also detecting the need of a few ms of tweaking when AVR HDMI is involved. This could be "normal", even though I didn't have this problem with Kodi on x86. But I always was under the impression that if Audio Passthrough was selected, the audio delay tweaks did not have any effect since Kodi just passes the audio on without being able to advance/delay anything. Am I wrong on this? I hope so Smile

And finally, the audio switching I'm sure will improve over time. I unfortunately don't have the knowledge to help out on this technically but I will test any version you bring out.

Thanks again!
(2016-09-06, 14:36)propergol Wrote: I will receive my C2 in the next hours Smile

I have downloaded the SD creation tool that itself downloaded LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.90.005.img.gz

I am confused : is you version LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.fixmemleak.tar newer than the one downloaded by the sd creation tool?
You will be downloading an Unstable LE 8.0 Kodi Krypton Beta development version with the SD creation tool. Thats fine if it suits your needs by LE 7.1 has a whole bunch more Kodi features that actually work properly, plus a bunch of included extras you won't know about till needed.

(2016-09-06, 12:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Until you test (Krypton) deinterlacing reliability with Live TV, DVD ISO playback, and then 23.976/29.97/59.94fps video sync, and look for 41 second video frame upsets when Kodi Dynamic refresh switching is used.

There is currently no AML Frame Rate Automation for those Fractional Refresh Rates for smooth video playback on any AML Krypton Platform, unless something has drastically changed lately.

You can manually install LE 7.1 to SD/eMMC following these instructions:
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Installation

The current LE 7.1 .img is found in the link below:
V
V

Thanks.
I guess I should stick with your build but as my wife is now used to Estuary interface (running on PI3) it would be difficult for me to switch back Big Grin

I would try both builds to test what I need to work : correct deinterlacing for live TV, correct passthrough 5.1 and so on...
So I played around a bit with the audio delay and in the end I stick with 0ms. It doesn't seem 100% perfect but better then advancing the sound. I don't seem to get the right setting when I start touching. What seems right for one movie seems wrong for another, so I'll leave it at 0 for a while.

What really seems to be a problem is the staring of the videos 8 to 10 seconds into the movie. It happens in almost all my files, but not all of them. The strange thing is I don't see a pattern of which ones do and which ones don't have this behaviour. I'm looking at which video and audio codec they have and I think I see the issue in any combination. But some files don't do it! Very weird.
The Fix from memory:

In Audio Settings > Keep Audio Device Alive > OFF

(2016-09-07, 20:34)wrxtasy Wrote: The Fix from memory:

In Audio Settings > Keep Audio Device Alive > OFF

That wasn't it but it did point me into the right direction. The problem is caused by the Audio Output Configuration option. Anything other then "Fixed", so the "Best Match" and "Optimized" options cause this behaviour. If I use one of these two options most videos start about 8 seconds in and most of them stutter for a few seconds more before starting correctly with sound.

Using "Fixed" prevents this from happening but this outputs any file as 2.0 PCM. So that really isn't an option. Confused

EDIT: This problem is almost 99% certain the same thing that causes the audio track changes to work so bad. It creates the same weird stutters and shift in time. I'll do some more testing this afternoon and I'll try if the Log has something to offer and I might open a dedicated thread about it. Maybe better suited in the Odroid Forum??
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610