• 104(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
@wrxtasy

Is it posible to upgrade your 7.1.3 ?( Odroid C2 build 7.1.3, live tv has freshrate autoswitching issue and no CPU temp info ).

thank you.
Yes just .tar update to the official LibreELEC C2 builds as they are all 64bit.

Or use my tweaked 64bit LE 8.2 / Kodi Krypton 17.5...which I have been running for the last 2 weeks and used for the Mi Box Bluetooth remote testing.

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.2-Beta3-201710191045.tar

Thumbs Up 
64bit setups only = compatible with official C2 LibreELEC Krypton.

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.2.1-Oclock-Res-201712081016.tar

This is for those that really like to push their devices. I've added a Hardkernel bootloader voltage test patch so you can very likely Overclock the C2 and run stable now at 1.752GHz with the standard (pretty decent) C2 Heatsink.

The boot.ini file on SD/eMMC will have to be modified as well to
Code:
setenv max_freq "1752"

My own C2 sits between 55-65 degrees C SoC temperatures.

While you are at it, SSH in and give the GPU a 792MHz tweak as well:
Code:
echo "echo 5 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
That setup should give a wee speed bump after rebooting.
That combo has been running stable for me the last three days. Smile

Also included is this testing .tar update is an autoswitch Resolution Downgrade test patch that @Koying is using in test versions of SPMC 17.6a2:

CHG: Allow to downgrade resolution commit

If a users display supports lower resolutions like 720p25, 720p30 etc LE will now auto resolution switch downwards for playback of SD content.
(or from 4K ---> 1080p)
This is useful if you want your 1080p or 4K TV to do picture upscaling using its superior upscaling hardware vs the media player. You want the media player to output the lowest resolution to match the source video's resolution, then let the TV handle picture upscaling.

In fact all Kodi platforms would likely benefit from such a patch provided they can auto resolution switch up/down properly in the first place.
Quite a few people have wanted such a Kodi downgrade resolution switch feature for quite a while now.

Thx @Koying.

(2017-12-04, 10:25)wrxtasy Wrote: This is for those that really like to push their devices. I've added a Hardkernel bootloader voltage test patch so you can very likely Overclock the C2 and run stable now at 1.752GHz with the standard (pretty decent) C2 Heatsink.

Code:
setenv max_freq "1752"
Is there any way to use the files in the tar and dd to manually update my C2 running kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build? I'd like to try a little overclocking but I don't want to move back to 64bit.
(2017-12-04, 10:25)wrxtasy Wrote: 64bit setups only = compatible with official C2 LibreELEC Krypton.

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.2.1-Oclock-Res-201712041531.tar

This is for those that really like to push their devices. I've added a Hardkernel bootloader voltage test patch so you can very likely Overclock the C2 and run stable now at 1.752GHz with the standard (pretty decent) C2 Heatsink.

Code:
setenv max_freq "1752"

My own C2 sits between 55-65 degrees C SoC temperatures.

While you are at it, SSH in and give the GPU a 792MHz tweak as well:
Code:
echo "echo 5 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh"
That setup should give a wee speed bump after rebooting.
That combo has been running stable for me the last three days. Smile

Also included is this testing .tar update is an autoswitch Resolution Downgrade test patch that @Koying is using in test versions of SPMC 17.6a2:

CHG: Allow to downgrade resolution commit

If a users display supports lower resolutions like 720p25, 720p30 etc LE will now auto resolution switch downwards for playback of SD content.
(or from 4K ---> 1080p)
This is useful if you want your 1080p or 4K TV to do picture upscaling using its superior upscaling hardware vs the media player. You want the media player to output the lowest resolution to match the source video's resolution, then let the TV handle picture upscaling.

In fact all Kodi platforms would likely benefit from such a patch provided they can auto resolution switch up/down properly in the first place.
Quite a few people have wanted such a Kodi downgrade resolution switch feature for quite a while now.

Thx @Koying
Thanks wrxtasy Great work, as always!
Can I use this build without overclocking? I would like to try and see the autoswitch resolution downgrade.
I'm not sure if I need OC. Maybe I just leave out the boot.ini and GPU tweaks?

This build has all the patches of your previous versions, correct?
Yes you can continue to use this .tar update as normal without any of the CPU / GPU Overclocking tweaks.

(2017-12-06, 12:51)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes you can continue to use this .tar update as normal without any of the CPU / GPU Overclocking tweaks.
 Excellent!
BTW, how safe is to do the OC? Will it damage the C2 or just have unexpected behavior, freezes?
The GPU tweak is pretty harmless, it will speed up the Kodi GUI slightly.

The CPU Overclocking - boot.ini - tweak will either allow you to boot or not, it will not fry anything.
Also depends on the quality of power you are supplying to the C2.
I use the USB2 > barrel power cord fed from my USB3 port on my TV.

It's all pretty stable for me with eMMC flash storage. CPU / GPU Temp sit on about 55 - 65 Degrees C which is all pretty normal for AMLogic, IF you have a decent Heatsink like the C2 has.

EDIT: Also added to test are High Quality software scalers like Lancos3-optimised for SD mpeg2/mpeg4 TV content when it is being software decoded and deinterlaced.

(2017-12-06, 14:27)wrxtasy Wrote: The GPU tweak is pretty harmless, it will speed up the Kodi GUI slightly.

The CPU Overclocking - boot.ini - tweak will either allow you to boot or not, it will not fry anything.
Also depends on the quality of power you are supplying to the C2.
I use the USB2 > barrel power cord fed from my USB3 port on my TV.

It's all pretty stable for me with eMMC flash storage. CPU / GPU Temp sit on about 55 - 65 Degrees C which is all pretty normal for AMLogic.

EDIT: Also added to test are High Quality software scalers like Lancos3-optimised for SD mpeg2/mpeg4 TV content when it is being software decoded and deinterlaced.
 I updated to the OC build, without applying the OC.
Please help me clarify something. I have a FHD plasma screen. I watch TV, half SD and half HD content. Now I have Kodi GUI set to 720p@50. When I watch SD content, then resolution remains 720p, so I believe the TV is doing the upscaling from SD to 720p, correct? This should result in better picture quality compared to previous releases, where SD content was upscaled from SD to FHD by LE?
Or should I set the GUI to FHD and then SD content (TV and mkv) will be upscaled to 1080p?

When does the HQ software scalers kick in? Lancos3-Optimized should do a really great job, but I don't see it in the Video settings?
You will only get software - Video scaling options if you are Software decoding video content.

So all I have tested is mpeg2 576i TV and set Kodi settings > Player Settings > Videos > Accelerate MPEG2 > HD and Up.

Anything above Bilinear Scaling does not appear to work properly or produce poor jagged output results. My 4K TV does a better upscaling job.

(2017-12-05, 03:04)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2017-12-04, 10:25)wrxtasy Wrote: This is for those that really like to push their devices. I've added a Hardkernel bootloader voltage test patch so you can very likely Overclock the C2 and run stable now at 1.752GHz with the standard (pretty decent) C2 Heatsink.

Code:
setenv max_freq "1752"
Is there any way to use the files in the tar and dd to manually update my C2 running kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build? I'd like to try a little overclocking but I don't want to move back to 64bit.  
I was able to replace the u-boot in kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build tar with the one from wrxtasy and re-update my C2. So far I've been able to overclock the GPU, the CPUs to 1752 and the ram to 1104. My C2 has been running stable that way for ~24 hours now. I'm using the official barrel power supply and I removed the jumper to disable OTG mode on the micro-usb. Idle temp is ~45c and playback temp ~60c.
(2017-12-07, 02:48)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2017-12-05, 03:04)zaphod24 Wrote:

Code:
setenv max_freq "1752"
I was able to replace the u-boot in kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build tar with the one from wrxtasy and re-update my C2. So far I've been able to overclock the GPU, the CPUs to 1752 and the ram to 1104. My C2 has been running stable that way for ~24 hours now. I'm using the official barrel power supply and I removed the jumper to disable OTG mode on the micro-usb. Idle temp is ~45c and playback temp ~60c.

What does the disbale OTG mode means? I mean what is the benefit of this?
(2017-12-08, 17:40)gurabli Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 02:48)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2017-12-05, 03:04)zaphod24 Wrote: Is there any way to use the files in the tar and dd to manually update my C2 running kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build? I'd like to try a little overclocking but I don't want to move back to 64bit.  

If you don't use the micro-usb port on the C2 to power it, you can remove a jumper and the average temps drop a bit (there was a post maybe earlier in this thread about that ?). OTG is for usb on-the-go, I think that storage mode is mostly used for android?
(2017-12-08, 17:58)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2017-12-08, 17:40)gurabli Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 02:48)zaphod24 Wrote: I was able to replace the u-boot in kszaq's 8.2.1.1 32-bit build tar with the one from wrxtasy and re-update my C2. So far I've been able to overclock the GPU, the CPUs to 1752 and the ram to 1104. My C2 has been running stable that way for ~24 hours now. I'm using the official barrel power supply and I removed the jumper to disable OTG mode on the micro-usb. Idle temp is ~45c and playback temp ~60c. 

If you don't use the micro-usb port on the C2 to power it, you can remove a jumper and the average temps drop a bit (there was a post maybe earlier in this thread about that ?). OTG is for usb on-the-go, I think that storage mode is mostly used for android?

Thanks. I know what OTG is, but I don't use it at all. I do use a micro-usb psu. What other way is there to power the C2?
(2017-12-08, 18:03)gurabli Wrote:
(2017-12-08, 17:58)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2017-12-08, 17:40)gurabli Wrote: What does the disbale OTG mode means? I mean what is the benefit of this? 

Thanks. I know what OTG is, but I don't use it at all. I do use a micro-usb psu. What other way is there to power the C2? 
There is the barrel (round) input. I bought my C2 and power supply from hardkernel together, but I think there are some converters for microusb->barrel as well.
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610