• 17(current)
v17 Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork
Edit: @MB1968 When Artwork Beef is first installed, everything is new to it and must be processed - some artwork in the file system isn't added to Kodi's database with any/many other tools. It should identify local artwork first, and should not replace any artwork in the database automatically, nor the file. It may fill in a few missing artwork, and the final count also includes local artwork that has been updated as well as downloaded artwork; the artwork report (view it at the bottom of the add-on settings "General") should tell you "downloaded" (items updated from web services) count vs "updated" (downloaded + local artwork not already in the database). If it is actually replacing all files, post a debug log, the artwork report (can be found at userdata/addon_data/script.artwork.beef/artwork-report.txt), and an example of a movie file structure including the names of all artwork and the file modified dates; I'll need to look into that further.

If you just want to scan in local artwork for the first run, enable "Automatically add from file system only" and run it again. It's still going to do the same process, just faster because it won't check the web services. Disable it again once the process has completed if you want it to add artwork from web services for new items going forward.
Hello mrector,

i am trying to switch from Artwork Downloader to Artwork Beef, and I am not sure how to best go about it.  All of my movies are in separate folders, and in each folder I have the artwork.  All of my artwork has the "old" naming convention, meaning poster.jpg instead of <movie name>-poster.jpg.  The same applies to all other artwork (fanart, discart, clearart, etc.)

I selected "Automatically Add from filesystem only", "Download processed artwork to file system", and "Identify Alternate Artwork Downloader and MSAA Artwork File Names" in the add-on settings.  I ran Artwork Beef and told it to find missing artwork for all videos.  The result (which I expected Artwork Beef not to find any missing art) was that a lot of my movies now do not show a poster or fanart, even though the art is there next to the movie.  I have to "Refresh" each movie if I want to see the poster/fanart/additional art again.

This did not happen to all movies (and I have not been able to identify a pattern), and it also happened to most of my music videos.  TV Shows, Seasons and Episodes do not seem to have been affected.

If it helps, I am running the latest Leia nightly, 64-bit, under Windows 10 64-bit.

Could you please let me know what setting did I configure incorrectly, or what steps did I miss, or better yet, what steps should I follow to complete this transition? Also, is there any way through the addon to have my movie art show up again without having to either refresh each movie (quite time consuming in my case, 5000+ movies)? Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Bart
@bsoriano Some artwork in the file system isn't added to Kodi's database with other tools, so there still can be plenty of updated artwork. For a couple of affected movies, can you open "Manage" -> "Select artwork... " -> "poster" to see if one is selected (the top one, if any). If they are selected, what is the title, and is the actual image visible here? The debug log and artwork-report.txt (location in the post above) could have something interesting, please post those.
@rmrector. Thanks for the explanation. I'll monitor this topic daily, since I expect a lot of users will switch from Artwork Downloader to Artwork Beef. I'll follow your instructions and I'll let you know the results later.

Maybe it's good to give brief instructions in the first post, for people who are unfamiliar with Artwork Beef yet and are planning to run it for the first time. It will save you time and frustration to explain the same thing over and over.

Thanks for the hard work!
Windows 11 Pro
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7/MQ9 Omega Mod
Kodi 20.5 - Aeon MQ9 Nexus Mod

Android - Beelink GT King
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7 Omega Mod
Kodi Maven Fork 21 - Aeon MQ9 Omega Mod

CoreELEC - Beelink GT King
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7 Omega Mod

Ok, so I decided to give Artwork Beef a try (as Artwork Downloader is way out of date, and doesn't work the greatest currently), so Let me share my experience.

1. I have several Shield TV's (original 2015 and Pro), as well as a couple Windows installs. These all connect to a FreeNAS server where all my media is stored.
2. I have tons of media on my server (so a big pool to test). 3700+ Movies, 52,000+ TV Shows (like 800 series), 4,000+ Music Videos, 800+ Music Artists.
3. I have used MediaElch for the last 5+ years to scrap data for everything- Movies, TV Series, Music Videos, and Music (create NFO's, download Posters, Fanart, banners, etc.)
4. I have used the Skin AEON MQ7 (and MQ6 and MQ5 before that), and love that everything pops with that skin, and it is so customizable.
5. I have read every page of this thread. 8)

So I installed your repo, and then installed Artwork Beef. Immediately I went in to configure it as I wished to test some things (Mostly the artwork for Music Videos, Music, and Movies Sets).

So I turned off all the Artwork for Movies (but left the Movie Sets - all my movies are in separate folders), turned off all TV Artwork, and set Artwork Beef to Download all art to the Local Files.

Here is where the fun began...

1. When I clicked RUN, I am then presented with several options (didn't write down exactly what was on the screen), but I had assumed with all the settings I selected, it would just do it's thing (WRONG).

options listed...
...a. scan additional video artwork (thought this might be it, but Nope, instead you get 3 more options - Scan new Media, Scan old Media, or scan all media). Running the new command starts going through all my Movies and seems to be adding ExtraFanart (which I didn't want it to do, so the settings I've selected did nothing). No option to cancel this once started, so I Run Artwork Beef again, and the option came up to Stop the current operation, but this does NOTHING. I actually had to Shutdown Kodi to get Artwork Beef to stop.
...b. list all Music Videos that aren't found with TADB. Ran this, and it listed every Music Video I have. Hmm, weird as all my Music Videos are in folders with the Artists Name, and the videos are Artist Name - Song Name.MP4 (or avi or MPG). So when I looked at the Source for my Music Videos, they were scanned into the system using .NFO files (I didn't choose TADB or the other Music Video selection you can select, as MediaElch created NFO files for all my Music Videos). So I changed the Source to use TADB and will test this tonight (or once all my Music Videos are scanned into the database again).
...c. list all Music that aren't found (this option is only for Kodi 18 Leia). Kinda a shame, as I would like to download additional artwork ahead of the Kodi 18 launch, to have my Music library ready for the new features in the newest Kodi.

The last 3 options looked like fixes I've seen listed in previous posts in this thread, none of which I needed as being a first time user.

So in the few tests I actually could do with Music Videos (Selecting b above), I was presented with a list of Music Video Names, (some were listed with just the song name, some had the Artist - Song name - So this area has room for Improvement). When selecting a Song, It would prompt me to type in the name of the song (but it was already listed, for example Aqua - Barbie Girl), and I just clicked done, it would come back with the listed for Aqua - Barbie Girl (same as what I had listed, and what the name of the Music Video is), I would click the highlighted song, and It would download the Artwork for it. So I was able to get at least the Logo, but sometimes the Album and CD art for the song as well. But I had to do this for each Music Video, which gets old fast. Hopefully when I test tonight after changing the source to TADB this will work as intended.

So the first question I have is, What settings would I change, to Download (at first, and later to replace, once I've happy with the functionality) all Artwork for an Artist (Poster, Fanart, Album, CD, Logo, etc), within just Music Videos (again, so I can just test the functionality for now).

The Second question is, what settings do I need to download Movie Set Artwork, to a Sets individual Movie folder (under Movie Set Artwork Automator, my Movie Sets would be considered "single artwork folder").

Finally, could you release the ability to download the additional Music Artwork supported, without having to have Kodi 18 installed (to get the artwork before the release of Kodi 18)?
Simple question here I hope I managed to do it once and have not figure out how I did it or how to do it again. I am wanting to download the movie set artwork to a central location... I have the setting set to a folder. I deleted you DB folder and made it search all movies as if it was the first time but now is will not create the collection images in that folder any longer... Can someone explain to me how to get it to download the images to this folder every time and not to the movie folder itself... The reason is I see no reason in have the same images over and over when I can have them in one centralized folder.  Thanks for any advice... Other then that this is a great add-on and it work really well.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
(2018-01-25, 23:26)smitchell6879 Wrote: ... The reason is I see no reason in have the same images over and over when I can have them in one centralized folder.  Thanks for any advice... Other then that this is a great add-on and it work really well.
 I'm pretty sure, it only downloads the images to the 1st folder of the Set, not to each folder in the set, just like Movie Set Artwork Automator does.
At some point it I pointed to a folder to make a centralize set artwork and it made a folder for each collection and add the artwork to that folder.... I swear it did once I just don't know how I done it now. I even delete the DB and started over still no luck.
Version 0.16.1 is now available. New features are "landscape" images from TheAudioDB for music artists, which can also be added to music videos, and options to disable all automatic processing for individual media types. It also includes fixes for archived media files in Krypton and earlier, and automatic processing after single item updates in Leia.

@Powerhouse See the Usage documentation for usage beyond the basic "generally handle extended artwork just as Kodi and scrapers already do for basic artwork".

1. With version 0.16.0+ there are switches in the settings that completely disable processing for specific media types, so flip those as you like. The other switches here only apply to artwork pulled from web services, it still processes local files. Artwork Beef won't replace any images unless you select them manually, it just fills in missing artwork.
2. Enable the setting "process movie set artwork in a central info directory" then set the "central info directory" to the same directory configured in MSAA
3. Local artwork for the music library isn't supported at all yet, but when it is I don't know if AB will support downloading them in Krypton and below.

@smitchell6879 If you are on Leia, a recent scraper update adds basic collection artwork (poster as "set", fanart as "setfanart") to each movie in the database rather than the movie collection, then Artwork Beef downloads that if configured. Upcoming changes to Leia core should apply them to the movie collection as expected.
(2018-01-26, 08:16)rmrector Wrote: @smitchell6879 If you are on Leia, a recent scraper update adds basic collection artwork (poster as "set", fanart as "setfanart") to each movie in the database rather than the movie collection, then Artwork Beef downloads that if configured. Upcoming changes to Leia core should apply them to the movie collection as expected.
Thanks and I am using Leia after reading this I have started re-scraping my entire library which in turn everything is working just as you stated and the artwork is also being copied to a centralized location. Thanks again.. awesome add-on cant wait to get my music organized and give that a shoot. Also just a pointer to anyone using this... I will assume that you enjoy your artwork so remember to add this to your advancedsettings.xml to get the best resolution for your artwork that kodi will allow.
xml:

<advancedsettings>
     <imageres>1080</imageres>
     <fanartres>1080</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>
Hi
Artwork Beef looks realy nice and downloads tons of additional artworks compared to artwork downloader...
Unfortunately it seems to be incompatible with my template as now no fanart when he shows me random movies in the background when I do nothing Sad
For the rest it’s totally worth it...
By the way i use eminence 2.0 as template...
Wink 
(2018-01-26, 14:51)smitchell6879 Wrote:
(2018-01-26, 08:16)rmrector Wrote: @smitchell6879 If you are on Leia, a recent scraper update adds basic collection artwork (poster as "set", fanart as "setfanart") to each movie in the database rather than the movie collection, then Artwork Beef downloads that if configured. Upcoming changes to Leia core should apply them to the movie collection as expected.
Thanks and I am using Leia after reading this I have started re-scraping my entire library which in turn everything is working just as you stated and the artwork is also being copied to a centralized location. Thanks again.. awesome add-on cant wait to get my music organized and give that a shoot. Also just a pointer to anyone using this... I will assume that you enjoy your artwork so remember to add this to your advancedsettings.xml to get the best resolution for your artwork that kodi will allow.
xml:

<advancedsettings>
     <imageres>1080</imageres>
     <fanartres>1080</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for that tip
@rmrector I may have found what is breaking my scans.... James Bond Collection what I am on when it errors out. I am using the newest release as well.

python:

- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'replace'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\context.py", line 53, in <module>
                                                main('auto')
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\context.py", line 16, in main
                                                processor.process_item(mediatype, dbid, mode)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 132, in process_item
                                                self.process_medialist(medialist, True)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 199, in process_medialist
                                                services_hit = self._process_item(mediaitem)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 245, in _process_item
                                                services_hit, error = self.gatherer.getartwork(mediaitem, auto)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\gatherer.py", line 22, in getartwork
                                                mediaitem.forcedart = self.get_forced_artwork(mediaitem, not skipexisting)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\gatherer.py", line 44, in get_forced_artwork
                                                for arttype, image in provider.get_exact_images(mediaitem).iteritems():
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\providers\artfiles.py", line 143, in get_exact_images
                                                path, inputfilename = os.path.split(mediaitem.file)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\system\python\Lib\ntpath.py", line 180, in split
                                                d, p = splitdrive(p)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\system\python\Lib\ntpath.py", line 116, in splitdrive
                                                normp = p.replace(altsep, sep)
                                            AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'replace'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

(2018-01-27, 08:40)smitchell6879 Wrote: @rmrector I may have found what is breaking my scans.... James Bond Collection what I am on when it errors out. I am using the newest release as well.

python:

- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'replace'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\context.py", line 53, in <module>
                                                main('auto')
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\context.py", line 16, in main
                                                processor.process_item(mediatype, dbid, mode)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 132, in process_item
                                                self.process_medialist(medialist, True)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 199, in process_medialist
                                                services_hit = self._process_item(mediaitem)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\artworkprocessor.py", line 245, in _process_item
                                                services_hit, error = self.gatherer.getartwork(mediaitem, auto)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\gatherer.py", line 22, in getartwork
                                                mediaitem.forcedart = self.get_forced_artwork(mediaitem, not skipexisting)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\gatherer.py", line 44, in get_forced_artwork
                                                for arttype, image in provider.get_exact_images(mediaitem).iteritems():
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.artwork.beef\lib\providers\artfiles.py", line 143, in get_exact_images
                                                path, inputfilename = os.path.split(mediaitem.file)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\system\python\Lib\ntpath.py", line 180, in split
                                                d, p = splitdrive(p)
                                              File "E:\Metadata_V18_64\Kodi\system\python\Lib\ntpath.py", line 116, in splitdrive
                                                normp = p.replace(altsep, sep)
                                            AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'replace'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

@rmrector 
So I hope you don't mind but I hack your code some just to get a test point to try to find what the problem was... Long story short make a note that you should not have your collections already in a folder with the collection name at a separate location then where your want to centralized the data base.

So basically I had

O:\Blurays\Jame Bond Collection\[all the movies of james bond]

then I wanted to centralized the images on disc L: so the script would check for L:\James Bond Collection and was still listing O:\Blurays\Jame Bond Collection in to a tuple

so simple solution I just renamed O:\Blurays\James Bond Collection to O:\Blurays\50 Years of Bond

and with that problem solved. I didn't really read the code so much as the just looked at the output string of mediaitem and mediaitem.file  but there maybe a way check if centrailized moviesets are work is enabled and if ignore all others just to prevent this mistake in the future.... or just make a notice somewhere for dumba$$ like my self that names it the same thing.

Either way it seems to be working now that I changed that.
Yeah, I got the logic wrong when both central directory and movie parent directory are enabled. I'll have it fixed for the next version but you can probably disable "grab movie set artwork from movie parent directory" for now.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork5