• 41(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Did you read the explanation for image upscaling in that section? Image upscaling upscales the image to the resolution of the GPU and what is entered under display modes (e.g., 1080p23, 2160p23, etc.).

Do you mean you don't understand how to use the image doubling settings?
(2019-10-23, 11:23)Warner306 Wrote: I think you need to lower your rendering times a little more. However, you also have a strange zoom mode selected in the media player you are using. The line in the OSD that says touch window from inside, +5% seems to indicate you are zooming the image by 5%.

Can you also post a screenshot of your settings for general settings and trade quality for performance?

Also, you should try using D3D11 Native hardware decoding in LAV Video and not DXVA2.

Hi Warner306.
Here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auk99q3-iMw3g7dX2RpL...g?e=czQge5 you can download pictures of my settings (Nvidia, Jriver and MadVR that you ask about) and osd playing videos.
I did osd pictures with 4k hdr video, fhd 23.970 video and fhd 29.970 video. As you can see, with the same settings, I don't have never more than 29ms rendering time.
So I can't understand why I have a lot of dropped/repeated frames (and glitchy) only with 29fps videos.
Maybe the problem is my Sony vw870es projector, that doesn't work perfect with 29-59 fps.
Anyway I'm thinking to change my Nvidia 1660 with a Radeon RX 5700 (till I can return GTX 1660 to Amazon), to try if it's goes better.
Thanks a lot for your help.
(2019-10-24, 00:07)Furgiuele Wrote:
(2019-10-23, 11:23)Warner306 Wrote:  
I change general settings flagging "use Direct3D for presentation..." and "present a frame for every VSync". Then I erase 2160p59 in display modes.
Now I'm playing all videos very good except fhd 29fps. With this video now MadVR set 60.00201Hz and I've a very clear image but with a lot of stuttering.
You can see osd and general settings here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auk99q3-iMw3g7dYlUI7...g?e=cNGTwL
Thanks again.
I'm not sure what is happening. Did you try to disable the NGU algorithms when playing 29.97 fps sources? Try and get the rendering times as low as possible to see if you can get the render queue and present queue to fill.

The fact that these queues are empty and failing to fill usually implies your GPU has run out of rendering performance.
(2019-10-24, 21:05)Warner306 Wrote: I'm not sure what is happening. Did you try to disable the NGU algorithms when playing 29.97 fps sources? Try and get the rendering times as low as possible to see if you can get the render queue and present queue to fill.

The fact that these queues are empty and failing to fill usually implies your GPU has run out of rendering performance.

I solve the issue about 29.970 videos, disabling deinterlacing at all.
I've another question. I have a Sony vpl-vw870es laser projector (4k HDR). If I flag "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" I've random noise like judder in motion. So I can't flag it (alltough I read it's better than 3D9).
Do you know why?
Last question. I use MadVR v0.92.17 (plugin of Jriver). How many nits I've to wright in "target peak nits"? Thanks.
Hey guys i followed this lengthy process and applied all high processing because my CPU and GPU can handle it.. but i think i got lost in the process.
My GPU is GTX 1080ti, CPU is i7 8700k, and 32 GB RAM Monitor is 144hz 1080p
Anyone can help me with putting the highest settings possible? 

Thank you
There isn't any GPU that can run every setting at full quality without dropping frames. Were you trying to use any artifact removal and sharpening shaders or just plain upscaling? 

You didn't provide enough information as to what you want to do to the image or what type of content you are watching.
Sad 
I am having some troubles here.  My downstairs 4k HDR TV is working fine, has a GTX 1050 TI and a I3-7100 and both PCs have the same ram, kodi settings, and madvr.  Upstairs my 4k (non HDR) TV is losing soo many frames you can't even watch, it has two 980 TI in SLI(I've also tried disabling the SLI) and an i5-3570.  They are even using the exact same version of the Nvidia driver.  What am I doing wrong here?  Here are some pictures of each TV's stats, you can tell them apart because the one has over 1000 dropped frames https://imgur.com/a/cmWY2vx

I did notice one doesn't seem to be using DXVA11, could that be it? Why would that not work when its picked in the video settings as the decoder?
Could it be because my non working TV doesn't have HDR?
The GTX 980 Ti doesn't have an onboard HEVC decoder. If you look at the rendering stats, the decoder queue is empty. The video is simply not being decoded fast enough to present the frames on time.

If your display doesn't support HDR passthrough, you should choose pixel shaders with HDR output unchecked.

You should also look at the display modes section in this guide because I noticed you aren't set up to match refresh rates. This will add some judder to the motion of the video. Always best to match the display refresh rate to the source frame rate if possible.
(2019-12-05, 11:59)Warner306 Wrote: The GTX 980 Ti doesn't have an onboard HEVC decoder. If you look at the rendering stats, the decoder queue is empty. The video is simply not being decoded fast enough to present the frames on time.

If your display doesn't support HDR passthrough, you should choose pixel shaders with HDR output unchecked.

You should also look at the display modes section in this guide because I noticed you aren't set up to match refresh rates. This will add some judder to the motion of the video. Always best to match the display refresh rate to the source frame rate if possible.
Wow thanks for the fast reply and good advice.  I am actually try to get this upstairs setup ready for the LG B9 Series OLED I got on Cyber Monday that will be arriving soon.  I am guessing if I want the best picture and HDR support I am going to have to upgrade to a 1000 or 2000 series card with HEVC?  I have been planning to upgrade for a while anyway, will that fix my problems?  With regards to the juddering I changed in the Videos section "adjust display refresh rate" to always and it looks like they are syncing now https://imgur.com/a/wQjb4zX .  I am guessing I don't want to enable "Sync playback to display" as well (sorry I am using the OSD settings in Kodi its a little different)?
Sync playback to display doesn't impact DSPlayer. That resyncs the audio to the video to avoid any frame repeats or drops. But it only works with VideoPlayer and PCM audio streams.

The cheapest way to get HEVC support + HDR passthrough on Windows is to buy a GT 1030 and use this build of Kodi with HDR support:

345566 (thread)

If you want to use madVR for other features besides HDR passthrough, then I would recommend a used GTX 1050 Ti or a new GTX 1650 or higher.
(2019-12-05, 16:54)Warner306 Wrote: Sync playback to display doesn't impact DSPlayer. That resyncs the audio to the video to avoid any frame repeats or drops. But it only works with VideoPlayer and PCM audio streams.

The cheapest way to get HEVC support + HDR passthrough on Windows is to buy a GT 1030 and use this build of Kodi with HDR support:

345566 (thread)

If you want to use madVR for other features besides HDR passthrough, then I would recommend a used GTX 1050 Ti or a new GTX 1650 or higher.
I also use this PC for gaming so I ended up getting a RTX 2070 SUPER.  I wonder if I'm even using my other 1050 Ti to the fullest.  I followed your guide when I originally set this up a while ago but clearly missed most of it, just reread it and I got a lot of stuff I want to try.

EDIT: cancelled the RTX 2070s and got a 1080 TI used from a friend Big Grin
EDIT 2: Got it working great and now both TVs are looking a lot better thanks to your guide, I could max almost everything out on the 1080 Ti except Image Upscaling I could only get NGU Sharp to High.  I was confusing your guide with this one I read before https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1966566
Hello there (first post on this forum !) !

First of all thanks for this complete and detailled post. I've just bought an 65OLED, coming from an old 1080p TV. I always used mon HTPC (GTX750 / i5-6600 / 16GB)  as my video source, with Kodi/MPC/LAV/madvr
Now that I can enjoy 4KHDR content, i'm starting to earn again how to get the best from my HTPC. But reading thoses few post it seems that it probably won't be able to decode 4KHDR properly ?
I still havent received my TV yet so I cannot test, but as i'd love to enjoy it the day I received it I can get a 1050Ti (the most powerfull fanless graphic card at this moment).

I do not plan to do crazy things with MadVR for 4K contents, as it's on a 65 display I'm not sure (but I could be wrong !) it will really be noticable.

Thanks a lot for your advice !
(2019-12-06, 11:33)petoulachi Wrote: Hello there (first post on this forum !) !

First of all thanks for this complete and detailled post. I've just bought an 65OLED, coming from an old 1080p TV. I always used mon HTPC (GTX750 / i5-6600 / 16GB)  as my video source, with Kodi/MPC/LAV/madvr
Now that I can enjoy 4KHDR content, i'm starting to earn again how to get the best from my HTPC. But reading thoses few post it seems that it probably won't be able to decode 4KHDR properly ?
I still havent received my TV yet so I cannot test, but as i'd love to enjoy it the day I received it I can get a 1050Ti (the most powerfull fanless graphic card at this moment).

I do not plan to do crazy things with MadVR for 4K contents, as it's on a 65 display I'm not sure (but I could be wrong !) it will really be noticable.

Thanks a lot for your advice !
Yeah you would need something in the 1000 series at least, I do love my 1050 Ti but I didn't go fanless, that seems wild.  I got this little guy and it can go almost as high as the 1080 Ti in the madvr settings https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-...6814126151  I ended up doing  Image Upscaling to NGU Sharp (very high) and lowering the Chroma to NGU Sharp (low).  I can't tell the difference in the chroma Big Grin
Either a GT 1030 with the Kodi Matrix build that supports HDR10 passthrough or a GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 1650 with madVR would work.

If you are only going to watch 4K UHD files, the vanilla Kodi Matrix build could be good enough.
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5