• 3(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Video Bit Depths Explained

8-bit vs. 10-bit vs. 12-bit

The video bit depth outlines the number of available color shades for each RGB channel used to describe each color. 

Current source bit depths:

BT.709 - 8-bits (256 color shades per RGB channel): common to current 1080p HD standard.
BT.2020 - 10-bits (1,024 color shades per RGB channel) or 12-bits (4,096 color shades per RGB channel): common to current 4K UHD standard.

This means there are 256 steps per color channel, 1,024 steps per color channel or 4,096 steps per color channel.

At 8-bits, this equals 256 x 256 x 256 = 16,777,216 possible color shades.
At 10-bits, this equals 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,073,741,824 possible color shades.

The bit depth defines how well colors blend together to prevent color banding. Increasing the source bit depth is not meant to add more color or improve "colorfulness," but instead adds color detail by creating finer transitions between each color shade to produce more detailed and uniform gradients.

Human beings can see an estimated 10 million color shades across the visible spectrum. Color at 8-bits, with its 16.8 million color steps, already approaches the threshold of human vision. What we can see at bit depths higher than 8-bits are visible differences in transitions between certain colors when the range of luminance is stretched too far. This is particularly true when large luminance increases are combined with wider color gamuts that provide a wider range of color saturations. This is because increases in gamut volume often necessitate the need to use more bits to cover the wider range of possible color shades.

Dynamic range denotes the minimum and maximum allowable values (e.g., reference black and peak white), while the bit depth defines the amount of color steps used to cover this dynamic range. Any visible transitions between color shades that can be perceived as uneven gradients or color banding are prevented with the use of higher source bit depths that provide more intermediate steps to cover the full gamut volume.

Understanding Bit-depth and Color Rendition for Video

Can You See the Difference Between 10-bit and 8-bit Images and Video Footage?
LAV Filters, I always try to update latest Nightly Builds , now I installed LAVFilters 0.67.0-115.exe-version 19-Feb-2016 .

But the problem persists, sin , damn...
kodi DSplayer doesn't care if you install any lavfilter version it uses it internal lavfilter version.

if you don't want to use 3d just set it to none in the properties.

and think about disabling it in the OS.
(2016-02-20, 05:03)huhn Wrote: kodi DSplayer doesn't care if you install any lavfilter version it uses it internal lavfilter version.

Wrong. It only happens when you go noob internal filters route.
(2016-02-17, 17:37)gotham_x Wrote: Warner306, I lean to your eventual answer, watching a 3D movie on my tv happens something strange ...
stop the movie and I close kodi from my TV. Then back on the PC monitor and start again Kodi , Kodi GUI opens in 3D video resolution , giving a look at the control panel Nvidia , I noticed that setting (Set 3D Stereoscopic) is activated automatically when playing a 3D movie.

Obviously, (Set 3D Stereoscopic) is always off because there is no need to activate this feature, and it is frustrating that every time you play a 3D movie you should turn off (Set 3D Stereoscopic) when I open Kodi my PC

Question, is there any setting to be changed in the 3D card Stereo (madVR) to solve? setting Stereo 3D it is default.

The problem not is to turn off the 3D settings in madVR , I do not find is the solution to my problem above.

@oldpoem , I update the new versions LAV Filters Nightly Builds ; MANUALLY

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\players\dsplayer\LAVFilters
I'm not sure why you want to update internal filters manually and still use internal filters config. Because it will get overwrite everytime new build releases. If you really want to use latest LAVFilters use customized xml. You can start by copy internal filters config / media rules and edit it.

Wanilton also updated internal lavfilters a bit with recent releases though.
Oldpoem, do not get angry Wink

I find it a very long process, not so much in 'insert LAV Audio Decoder, Lav Splitter, Lav Splitter Source , Lav Video Decoder for (Filters Configuration) but put all the rules (Media Rules) for the four filters shown above. I find it a process boring.

Just my thoughts.

Following your reasoning in fact is the exact procedure to update to the latest build DSPlayer LAV Filters, so as to have 2 files filtersconfig.xml / mediasconfig.xml , there is no doubt.

However , in compilations Wanilton, for build LAVFilters/DSPLayer, not are inserted manually \ Kodi \ system \ players \ DSPlayer \ LAVFilters ?
in the end, is or not is the same process that I do i manually ?

A greeting.
(2016-02-20, 21:05)gotham_x Wrote: Oldpoem, do not get angry Wink

I find it a very long process, not so much in 'insert LAV Audio Decoder, Lav Splitter, Lav Splitter Source , Lav Video Decoder for (Filters Configuration) but put all the rules (Media Rules) for the four filters shown above. I find it a process boring.

Just my thoughts.

Following your reasoning in fact is the exact procedure to update to the latest build DSPlayer LAV Filters, so as to have 2 files filtersconfig.xml / mediasconfig.xml , there is no doubt.

However , in compilations Wanilton, for build LAVFilters/DSPLayer, not are inserted manually \ Kodi \ system \ players \ DSPlayer \ LAVFilters ?
in the end, is or not is the same process that I do i manually ?

A greeting.

I would just use internal filters and wait for Wanilton to update to LAV Filters 0.68. Nightly builds will always have problems.
I was not angry, just baffled LOL. Not sure why someone would went in length to do that and get his works overwritten every now and then. Especially when every once in a while your stable filters got overwritten with newer unstable experimental version.

For me having control over what is used is much better. Especially I'm prefer using Lentoid HEVC Decoder & XyVSfilter which is not in internal filters config.
Could you add this mirror url to download latest kodi dsplayer release?
http://www.videohelp.com/software/Kodi-DSPlayer

Could you share your madvr settings.bin file?
(2016-02-21, 16:13)lanzorg Wrote: Could you add this mirror url to download latest kodi dsplayer release?
http://www.videohelp.com/software/Kodi-DSPlayer

Could you share your madvr settings.bin file?

Sure I'd be happy to add this. Can you tell me who created this link, so I know it will be reliable well into the future? It will have to be updated for LAV Filters 0.68.

As for my settings.bin, I don't have one because I update madVR in the Program Files directory. This file is only created when you unzip madVR to a location with write access. I decided to keep it this way because I use the HTPC Updater found in the last post, which updates madVR automatically. I could do this as a one-time-only installation, but my settings include some tweaks not mentioned in this guide, so it would only be useful to someone with an overclocked GTS 450.
Warner306 so super-xbr100 + AR would be the closes thing to NNEDI3? Most of my stuff works with nnedi3 on my gtx 760 & gtx 960 but the fan noise is becoming annoying.

Do you have any screenshots that compare them both?
(2016-02-23, 22:38)Marklar Wrote: Warner306 so super-xbr100 + AR would be the closes thing to NNEDI3? Most of my stuff works with nnedi3 on my gtx 760 & gtx 960 but the fan noise is becoming annoying.

Do you have any screenshots that compare them both?

Which settings: chroma or luma?

Luma (image doubling) has comparison images in this section.

As for chroma, the scale would go like this: Bilateral (which uses the luma as a guide but can fail), NNEDI3, Reconstruction (soft) and super-xbr. So your best bet would be Reconstruction or super-xbr. You could try Bilateral. I have no idea how often it messes up and creates artifacts. It might not even be noticeable, but has the potential to do the best job.

In any case, changes to chroma upscaling are difficult to detect. Personally, I would try Reconstruction then super-xbr.
For activate SuperSampling at 1080p, It is the only difference in enabling / disabling NNEDI3 Image Doubling ?
SuperSampling It is used as an method anti-aliasing ?
instead of applying the color detected at the center of the pixel is made the average of the colors within that pixel...is this the concept !?!?
In the meantime, I did some tests with my GTX970. rip source BD 1:1

Settings current 1080> 1080

Chroma upscaling: NNEDI3 - 128 neurons
Image upscaling: JINC AR
Image downscaling: 2D SSIM 100% AR - LL
Image Doubling: OFF
Upscaling Refinement: Crispen edges: 1.0 / Linear Light and AR
SuperRes: 2 w / linear light
Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium / High
Image enhancements: Off
Dithering Error Diffusion - option 2

(0 Dropped frames - OSD rendering 29 / 30ms)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested Settings; 1080p -> 2160p Supersampling

Chroma upscaling : super-xbr100 + AR
Image upscaling : Jinc3 + AR
Image downscaling: 2D SSIM 100% AR - LL
Image Doubling: Double Luma - Always 2x Supersampling - super-xbr100
Upscaling Refinement: Crispen edges: 1.0 / Linear Light and AR
SuperRes: 2 / linear light
Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium / High
Image enhancements: Off
Dithering Error Diffusion - option 2

(Rain Dropped frames - OSD rendering 60 / 65ms)

somewhat perplexed rest without giving a judgment entirely objective for image quality and resources used , chance , in practical terms , the second settings Supersampling , It should not be more conservative for resources used ?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5