• 23(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Image Noise Explained

Predator 1080p Blu-ray

Wikipedia: Image noise is random variation of brightness or color information in images, and is usually an aspect of electronic noise. It can be produced by the sensor and circuitry of a scanner or digital camera. Image noise can also originate in film grain and in the unavoidable shot noise of an ideal photon detector. Image noise is an undesirable byproduct of image capture that obscures the desired information.

Understanding Image Noise in Your Film and Video Projects
What does it mean ( measured avg nits) In the statistics ctrl+j with madVR : measure the nits of the movie or the nits of the panel from where it is reproduced ? I'm confused.

Clip movie : 3840x2160 - HDR - Matrix BT.2020
(2017-06-20, 12:26)gotham_x Wrote: What does it mean ( measured avg nits) In the statistics ctrl+j with madVR : measure the nits of the movie or the nits of the panel from where it is reproduced ? I'm confused.

Clip movie : 3840x2160 - HDR - Matrix BT.2020

Not sure. I've never played an HDR video.
From a few days I have a problem In doing recognize the display desktop of PC on TV . In display settings of PC I always used it more screens the option of the selection (Extend these screens) and going to choose screen 2 TV not it is all missing icons of PC the whole with windows 10 version 1703 (build 15063.447) instead if utilization more screens (Show only on one) or (Show only on two) I have a view of all desktop PC icons...I do not know explain the reason why he does not come hooked to the desktop PC with (Extend these screens) It is visible only the taskbar. Nothing more.
Could someone please explain how to configure the buffering in combination with Kodi17, DSPlayer and madVR?
When watching video files from smb shares or any YouTube streams it seems not to use any buffering. Any help?
(2017-07-05, 19:28)namtih Wrote: Could someone please explain how to configure the buffering in combination with Kodi17, DSPlayer and madVR?
When watching video files from smb shares or any YouTube streams it seems not to use any buffering. Any help?

I don't believe DSPlayer buffers all at, sorry.
Hi all, I've been searching online about how to configure MadVR and came across this thread. Want to give a huge thanks to Warner for the fantastic guide!!! Nod

I've recently added a GTX 1050ti to my old htpc which is connected to my 4k tv. I'm currently running my windows display resolution at 1920x1080@60Hz, YUV444 and 12bits, as I find that the icons and text become too small if display resolution is set to 3840x2160.

In MadVR, I have display mode switching enabled, and have 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60 as valid modes to switch to.

Question:

When I play 720p/1080p movie files with MPC-HC, is it possible to have MadVR upscale to 4k and switch the display to 3840x2160, and then switch back to 1920x1080 when I exit MPC-HC?

Edit: Not sure if this helps, but I should mention that at 3840x2160@60Hz, I can only select YUV420 and 8 bits.
(2017-07-26, 10:13)atopiques Wrote: Hi all, I've been searching online about how to configure MadVR and came across this thread. Want to give a huge thanks to Warner for the fantastic guide!!! Nod

I've recently added a GTX 1050ti to my old htpc which is connected to my 4k tv. I'm currently running my windows display resolution at 1920x1080@60Hz, YUV444 and 12bits, as I find that the icons and text become too small if display resolution is set to 3840x2160.

In MadVR, I have display mode switching enabled, and have 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60 as valid modes to switch to.

Question:

When I play 720p/1080p movie files with MPC-HC, is it possible to have MadVR upscale to 4k and switch the display to 3840x2160, and then switch back to 1920x1080 when I exit MPC-HC?

Edit: Not sure if this helps, but I should mention that at 3840x2160@60Hz, I can only select YUV420 and 8 bits.

Try setting the appropriate display modes in madVR and see what happens. madVR should return to the desktop resolution after closing a video, but I'm not certain of that.
(2017-07-26, 20:39)Warner306 Wrote: Try setting the appropriate display modes in madVR and see what happens. madVR should return to the desktop resolution after closing a video, but I'm not certain of that.

Hi Warner, I did exactly that and it worked!!! ~~~ But not exactly the first time round.

Changed all the display modes from 1080 to 2160 and played back a UHD demo of Star Wars. MPC-HC launched and the resolution switched to 3840x2160 with MPC-HC in windowed mode (Yay!!!). However, an error message popped up and referenced some memory issue and the video did not play (Noooo!!!).

I suspected that it might be due to the display resolution settings in the 1080 mode that was causing this, and so I closed the video which returned the desktop to 1080 resolution (you were right), and changed settings to RGB full 8bits (from YUV444 limited 12 bits). I then tried playback again and this time it worked!!! The trailer started playing in MPC-HC full screen exclusive mode at 3840x2160 (checked via OSD). However, I noticed that the dark areas of the scene were too bright and seemed slightly grey. Also, my TV is an edge-lit LED and I could see some light leakage from the edges and corners of the TV. This usually only happens when I've got the brightness on way too high. Any ideas what might be causing this?

So, I exited the movie and changed the settings in the 1080 display resolution to YUV444 limited 8 bits and tried again. 3rd time's the charm!!! The blacks remained dark and playback was smooth at 3840x2160 full screen exclusive mode. I also tried playing 1080p and 720p movie files to see if madVR would upscale them to 2160 and play at 3840x2160 resolution. It did!

However, all the 720p/1080p/2160p content played in 3840x2160 full screen looked quite soft/flat and the colours were not as vibrant. It actually looks better when I play them in 1920x1080 desktop resolution and let the TV handle the upscaling. I haven't actually gotten around to tweaking the madVR upscaling/downscaling/doubling/rendering settings, but was hoping that default madVR settings would at least match the upscaling done by my TV. I'm assuming that I should be able to get a better picture after I'm done with customising madVR settings compared to the TV upscaler right?

The below is what I'm thinking as a default setting, and was wondering if I could use them for all 720p/1080p/2160p content rather than create several profiles for each?

chroma upscaling: NGU Sharp high quality
image downscaling: SSIM 1D 100%
image upscaling: I'm going to go with doubling as I can only choose between upscaling or doubling
image doubling: NGU Sharp {luma doubling high. and the rest let madVR decide)
dithering - Error Diffusion - option 2

What do you think of the above settings? Thanks!
(2017-07-27, 03:52)atopiques Wrote:
(2017-07-26, 20:39)Warner306 Wrote: Try setting the appropriate display modes in madVR and see what happens. madVR should return to the desktop resolution after closing a video, but I'm not certain of that.

Hi Warner, I did exactly that and it worked!!! ~~~ But not exactly the first time round.

Changed all the display modes from 1080 to 2160 and played back a UHD demo of Star Wars. MPC-HC launched and the resolution switched to 3840x2160 with MPC-HC in windowed mode (Yay!!!). However, an error message popped up and referenced some memory issue and the video did not play (Noooo!!!).

I suspected that it might be due to the display resolution settings in the 1080 mode that was causing this, and so I closed the video which returned the desktop to 1080 resolution (you were right), and changed settings to RGB full 8bits (from YUV444 limited 12 bits). I then tried playback again and this time it worked!!! The trailer started playing in MPC-HC full screen exclusive mode at 3840x2160 (checked via OSD). However, I noticed that the dark areas of the scene were too bright and seemed slightly grey. Also, my TV is an edge-lit LED and I could see some light leakage from the edges and corners of the TV. This usually only happens when I've got the brightness on way too high. Any ideas what might be causing this?

So, I exited the movie and changed the settings in the 1080 display resolution to YUV444 limited 8 bits and tried again. 3rd time's the charm!!! The blacks remained dark and playback was smooth at 3840x2160 full screen exclusive mode. I also tried playing 1080p and 720p movie files to see if madVR would upscale them to 2160 and play at 3840x2160 resolution. It did!

However, all the 720p/1080p/2160p content played in 3840x2160 full screen looked quite soft/flat and the colours were not as vibrant. It actually looks better when I play them in 1920x1080 desktop resolution and let the TV handle the upscaling. I haven't actually gotten around to tweaking the madVR upscaling/downscaling/doubling/rendering settings, but was hoping that default madVR settings would at least match the upscaling done by my TV. I'm assuming that I should be able to get a better picture after I'm done with customising madVR settings compared to the TV upscaler right?

The below is what I'm thinking as a default setting, and was wondering if I could use them for all 720p/1080p/2160p content rather than create several profiles for each?

chroma upscaling: NGU Sharp high quality
image downscaling: SSIM 1D 100%
image upscaling: I'm going to go with doubling as I can only choose between upscaling or doubling
image doubling: NGU Sharp {luma doubling high. and the rest let madVR decide)
dithering - Error Diffusion - option 2

What do you think of the above settings? Thanks!

The best playback chain is madVR full, desktop full, display full. But your not missing anything by going with limited.

As for your settings, they look ideal and should at least be better than your display at upscaling HD content. NGU Sharp luma doubling is the key setting to be worried about.
(2017-07-27, 20:03)Warner306 Wrote: The best playback chain is madVR full, desktop full, display full. But your not missing anything by going with limited.

As for your settings, they look ideal and should at least be better than your display at upscaling HD content. NGU Sharp luma doubling is the key setting to be worried about.

So I played around with madVR settings last night to upscale to 2160p. Tried the settings mentioned and was able to play the Star Wars UHD demo. However, the picture still looked soft and colours seemed washed out. This was quite obvious going from windowed mode (I set it to change resolution and refresh rate only when going full screen) to full screen.

In windowed mode while in 1920x1080 desktop display, the picture looked sharp and colours were vibrant. Once I hit F11 to go full screen exclusive, the difference was quite noticable and picture quality was worse. I tried playing 720p/1080p movies and the doubling settings were too aggressive to handle the upscale to 2160. I had to use upscaling instead of doubling for it to playback. In all 720/1080/2160 movies, the picture quality was soft and colours washed out.

So I reverted to 1080 display modes in madVR, and picture quality was much much better. Am I doing something wrong?
(2017-07-28, 02:29)atopiques Wrote:
(2017-07-27, 20:03)Warner306 Wrote: The best playback chain is madVR full, desktop full, display full. But your not missing anything by going with limited.

So I played around with madVR settings last night to upscale to 2160p. Tried the settings mentioned and was able to play the Star Wars UHD demo. However, the picture still looked soft and colours seemed washed out. This was quite obvious going from windowed mode (I set it to change resolution and refresh rate only when going full screen) to full screen.

In windowed mode while in 1920x1080 desktop display, the picture looked sharp and colours were vibrant. Once I hit F11 to go full screen exclusive, the difference was quite noticable and picture quality was worse. I tried playing 720p/1080p movies and the doubling settings were too aggressive to handle the upscale to 2160. I had to use upscaling instead of doubling for it to playback. In all 720/1080/2160 movies, the picture quality was soft and colours washed out.

So I reverted to 1080 display modes in madVR, and picture quality was much much better. Am I doing something wrong?

Tone down NGU Sharp to medium and everything else to let madVR decide.
I turned it down to medium and everything else let MadVT decide, but the picture quality of the Star Wars demo still wasn't good, and the colours looked washed out.
(2017-07-31, 07:56)atopiques Wrote: I turned it down to medium and everything else let MadVT decide, but the picture quality of the Star Wars demo still wasn't good, and the colours looked washed out.

Don't know why. Are you sure the entire chain is 2160p (madVR, Kodi, desktop, output)?
(2017-07-31, 19:13)Warner306 Wrote: [Don't know why. Are you sure the entire chain is 2160p (madVR, Kodi, desktop, output)?

Hmmm, my TV is 4k, so should be able to run at 2160p. My desktop resolution is set to 1920x1080, but I've got madVR to switch to 2160p when playing UHD movies.

When my GPU is running at 2160p, it's outputting at YUV420, 8bits, and I've got madVR at PC level (0-255) and 8 bits. Could this be causing the colours to be washed out?
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5