• 29(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Dithering Explained

Dithering 8-bits to 6-bits

Dithering is a method of approximating a color from a mixture of other colors when the required color value is not available for the desired bit depth. When converting one data set to another non-matching data set (e.g., larger bit depth converted to a smaller bit depth), quantization (rounding) errors are generated because the digital conversion cannot match the original source value to a unique destination value. 

Rather than round all decimals to the same value, creating a simple gradient consisting completely of "96 gray," for instance, dithering spreads out the rounding errors from each calculated RGB value to neighboring pixels. This creates a random yet controlled pattern of mixed colors that better approximates the varied color shades present in the original gradient. What would be harsh edges caused by rounded color values (known as color banding) are replaced by gradients with smooth transitions between color shades. Such a randomized use of colors is a way to create an artificial sense of having an expanded color palette. This dithering pattern adds a little noise to the image. The larger the output bit depth, the lower the visible dithering noise.

Dithering Math Explained
(2019-02-10, 14:55)Warner306 Wrote: You could try replacing the internal LAV Filters with the most recent version of LAV Filters as described in the DSPlayer guide.

Do you mean your guide at the beginning of this thread?
Or some other guide?

Thanks
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1966566

And or try the DSPlayer Starter Kit at the end of this section and use external filters: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1966557
Another question :
If we use DSPlayer with madvr and lav filters are using D3D11 hardware decoding.... DSPlayer has any control on the subtitle position?

I can't use dxva2 copy back option...
So I need to move the subtitle position.

It seems impossible into madvr... So my last chance is DSPlayer...

Thanks
The behavior with hardware decoding is the same with any player. I don't know how to solve this problem because I don't move the subtitles very often.
Hi Warner306.
I'm looking for help again , if I want to create profile group , for a rule that contains the board (Calibration) and (Display Mode) in madVR , for three profiles. The three profiles to be added I'm :
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 4K-HDR-DCI-P3
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 4K-HDR-BT2020
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 1080p-BT709

The second variant for to create profile group with the cards (Calibration)  (Display Mode) and (Properties) in madVR , for five profiles
profiles to be added I'm :
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 4K-HDR-DCI-P3
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 4K-HDR-BT2020
rule for profile (Calibration) and (Display Mode) 1080p-BT709
rule for profile (Properties) 10-bit
rule for profile (Properties) 8-bit

profile I'm bold

can you help me please?
I think I need more information on what you are trying to do. You should only need to use one of DCI-P3 or BT.2020, not both. 

If you are using HDR passthrough, you only need to select BT.709 in calibration. BT.2020 HDR is always passed-through without any color space conversion.

If you need 8-bit output for 60 Hz and 10-bit output for 30 Hz and lower, you could use the following profile rules:

if (deintFps <= 30) "10-bit"
else "8-bit"

If you are using HDR -> SDR tone mapping you could use the following rules to avoid a color space conversion. This only works if the display's color gamut is set to "Automatic." Otherwise, you should set the display to BT.2020 and choose either BT.2020 or DCI-P3 in madVR. Both HDR and SDR content should playback correctly without any oversaturation, as long as the display is set to BT.2020:

If (HDR) "BT.2020"
else "BT.709"
In the meantime i thank you in advance. I am currently trying are using HDR -> SDR tone mapping , the display's color gamut is set to WIDE , in this case I should setting up on automatic for that rule that you gave me ? regarding BT.2020 or DCI-P3 in madVR , I wanted to differentiate with rules for the content that was being viewed BT.2020 or DCI-P3 precisely , if I'm not wrong BT.2020 it's just a container for for BD-4K/HDR content DCI-P3 , it's correct ? this was my intention do.
If you HDR -> SDR, you can set your display to Automatic and use a profile rule for HDR and SDR, or choose Wide or Extended and choose either DCI-P3 or BT.2020 in madVR.

All current HDR content is graded to DCI-P3. It is just placed in a BT.2020 container, so either DCI-P3 or BT.2020 could work. There is no BT.2020 content at this point.
(2019-02-22, 15:14)Warner306 Wrote:  or choose Wide or Extended and choose either DCI-P3 or BT.2020 in madVR.

If I understood correctly , in this case without the rule : If (HDR) "BT.2020"
else "BT.709" it's correct ?
Yes, BT.709 content is placed in a larger BT.2020 or DCI-P3 container, so oversaturation shouldn't be a problem. You would have to test some SDR content to confirm.

BT.2020 HDR content is passed through if BT.2020 is chosen, or placed in a DCI-P3 container if DCI-P3 is chosen.

It your display has an Automatic color space setting, creating two profile rules for SDR and HDR could be even safer to eliminate the possibility of color problems. But it might not be necessary if the above works.
Thank you so much for the exhaustive explanation . I will do tests with this rule with display set to automatic and SDR content , eventually for my safety ,how the two rules should be for SDR and HDR ?
If (HDR) "BT.2020"
else "BT.709"
Wink 
Equal to the previous rule , and I thought of something different as a rule.. Blush
I read on the forum Doom9 of a user in which you provided a suggestion for  (I want to split DISPLAY -> PROPERTIES into two separate profiles, one for SDR using 8-bit, and one for HDR using 10-bit/auto.) The  boolean that you have provided is : "bitDepth" I ask you , as is the complete rule for SDR/8Bit and HDR/10Bit with the boolean "bitDepth" ?

I do not have an account Doom9 to intervene on the question presented.
Thanks for your time.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5