• 30(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
HDR trade quality for performance Checkboxes

High Processing

compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy: [Checked] Gamut mapping is applied without preserving the original hue or correcting the saturation of tone mapped pixels. Unless you have limited processing resources available, you'll definitely want to uncheck this to get the full benefit of madVR's tone mapping. This checkbox also disables the use of color tweaks for fire & explosions and highlight recovery strength under devices -> hdr.

Medium - High Processing

compromise on HDR luminance repair quality: [Checked] Removes a fine amount of luminance detail and a slight blur intended to obscure occasional ringing artifacts caused by enhancing the luminance channel of compressed pixels. This mostly impacts the detail recovery of the specular highlights. The performance impact tends to be greater than the reduction in image quality, so not everyone may care about this setting. Often a necessary compromise for GTX 1070s/RX 580s and lesser when outputting at 3840 x 2160p. Not usually an issue with 1920 x 1080p output if scale chroma separately, if it saves performance is checked (recommended).

Low Processing

don't measure HDR frame peak luminance: [Unchecked] Disables madVR's frame measurements that are used for dynamic tone mapping. Similar to HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, these frame measurements are used to apply dynamic adjustments to the tone curve as the video plays. Dynamic curve adjustments apply to both static and dynamic display target nits (the dynamic target nits option only applies to SDR output). The performance cost of this setting is fairly minimal, so it is worth enabling frame measurements to maximize use of the display's available brightness and range of contrast. When enabled, static tone mapping is used.

What Is the Difference Between Static & Dynamic Tone Mapping?
Thanks. The rule works great. Before the rule was : if (deintFps <= 30) "10-bit"
else "8-bit" but I do not know why , to every content I saw 10Bit or 8Bit the switch in madVR he always remained nailed on 10Bit.

For Calibration Display in madVR with 3DLUT , I have this rule : if (HDR) "hdr"
else "sdr"
for contents HDR / 10Bit and SDR / 8Bit and it happens the Switch in madVR.
I am going to redo my MADvr setup again this weekend, looking for a few tips.

I have purchased a Spyder 5 colorimeter to calibrate my TV

I haven't done the calibration yet, but I have tested it on another monitor.

My setup includes

Windows 10, Kodi DSplayer, madvr

GTX1080

Samsung UE55KS7000 HDR TV

My setup is in the living room as i use it for gaming aswell.

Should i set the TV to "PC mode" or "Game mode" I have noticed in game mode video can judder (looks like 3:2 pulldown) in "normal" mode it's fine, games look great in game mode.

I haven't played around to much with PC mode but from memory i think pc mode is RGB limited 16-235.

I have also read i can create a 3D lut file with displaycal for mad vr, do i create a standard profile for games and the lut file for media? Or am i completely off here?
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
PC or Game mode may give you 4:4:4 chroma, but it can come with some tradeoffs. 

I would first test for 4:4:4 chroma using this test image to determine if PC mode is even worth trying:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yA3WKCp...muQ-G/view

You can also read through the multi-page discussion on PC mode that was started at Doom9 for an LG OLED. It doesn't pertain to your display, but it can give you some idea of the potential issues with color accuracy with PC mode:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1869221

Creating a 3D LUT can have a small learning curve in knowing how to create your first profile, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Start with the instructions here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...llcms.html

Because a 3D LUT is a fixed curve, I'm not sure it is worth profiling the HDR mode of the display because the tone mapping curve will be static for all sources, which can make some sources too dark while clipping some others.

SDR BT.709 3D LUTs could be profiled for both PC mode and one of the video modes for a comparison of gamut accuracy.

It is recommended to use a neutral calibration at the display with a factory color temperature that is close to 6500K. Most displays can get the Delta E<1 on the color checker chart with the 3D LUT enabled. I'm not sure how well your display might compare.

If you get stuck on the 3D LUT, I would suggest creating an account at AVS Forum and posting there. One of the experts should respond.
(2019-03-21, 15:03)Warner306 Wrote: PC or Game mode may give you 4:4:4 chroma, but it can come with some tradeoffs. 

I would first test for 4:4:4 chroma using this test image to determine if PC mode is even worth trying:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yA3WKCp...muQ-G/view

You can also read through the multi-page discussion on PC mode that was started at Doom9 for an LG OLED. It doesn't pertain to your display, but it can give you some idea of the potential issues with color accuracy with PC mode:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1869221

Creating a 3D LUT can have a small learning curve in knowing how to create your first profile, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Start with the instructions here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...llcms.html

Because a 3D LUT is a fixed curve, I'm not sure it is worth profiling the HDR mode of the display because the tone mapping curve will be static for all sources, which can make some sources too dark while clipping some others.

SDR BT.709 3D LUTs could be profiled for both PC mode and one of the video modes for a comparison of gamut accuracy.

It is recommended to use a neutral calibration at the display with a factory color temperature that is close to 6500K. Most displays can get the Delta E<1 on the color checker chart with the 3D LUT enabled. I'm not sure how well your display might compare.

If you get stuck on the 3D LUT, I would suggest creating an account at AVS Forum and posting there. One of the experts should respond.

Thank you, i will check all of those out and have a play.

You are always really helpful, do you have a patreon or donations page?
No, I'm not on here for donations. Just to share information.
That's cool, just wanted wanted to buy you a beer / coffee / kale smoothie.

I'll give be $10 to charity you choose if you like?
Nah, don't bother. I don't give away money that often myself.
I have struggled this weekend, image quality looks great. Especially after calibration with the Spyder.

But i am getting really bad judder on films and some shows i think it's probably something to do with display modes, i think my TV doesn't play nice with one or two refresh rates. Really frustrating as the default windows player looks fine.

Do you have a good video for testing judder?

i have tested with some films but i don't want to put a few hours in to realise the source was juddery to begin with.
There are some 24p judder test videos here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...dindje9fMB

These are meant to check for 3/2 pulldown. The tone heard and the moving bars should be synchronized to indicate proper 5:5 pulldown is happening, or whatever cadence your display uses for 24p playback.

The top of the madVR OSD will show the reported refresh rate of the video clock (usually 23.97xxxx). If the number of reported frame drops or repeats is especially frequent, you could try creating a custom resolution. I doubt this is the issue, but it could be worth trying.

The composition rate shown in the OSD should be 23.976 Hz and not 60 Hz. If the composition rate doesn't match the video clock, that could also be a potential issue.

You can also check the GPU control panel during playback to see what output refresh rate is active.

In reality, all 24p content should show some degree of stutter during the most aggressive panning shots. Some choose to use a small amount of motion interpolation to smooth this out.
(2019-04-01, 14:35)Warner306 Wrote: There are some 24p judder test videos here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...dindje9fMB

These are meant to check for 3/2 pulldown. The tone heard and the moving bars should be synchronized to indicate proper 5:5 pulldown is happening, or whatever cadence your display uses for 24p playback.

The top of the madVR OSD will show the reported refresh rate of the video clock (usually 23.97xxxx). If the number of reported frame drops or repeats is especially frequent, you could try creating a custom resolution. I doubt this is the issue, but it could be worth trying.

The composition rate shown in the OSD should be 23.976 Hz and not 60 Hz. If the composition rate doesn't match the video clock, that could also be a potential issue.

You can also check the GPU control panel during playback to see what output refresh rate is active.

In reality, all 24p content should show some degree of stutter during the most aggressive panning shots. Some choose to use a small amount of motion interpolation to smooth this out.

Thank you, the test videos where painful to watch and I'm getting loads of dropped frames Sad

Can you see any clues here? Sorry it's not a screenshot.

​Https://imgur.com/gallery/EP3asCK​​​​​​Image
Your problem looks pretty straightforward. You are using NGU very high for chroma upscaling and your rendering times are too high. Try lowering it to high or medium. Using very high for chroma upscaling probably won't accomplish a lot, anyways.
(2019-04-02, 23:40)Warner306 Wrote: Your problem looks pretty straightforward. You are using NGU very high for chroma upscaling and your rendering times are too high. Try lowering it to high or medium. Using very high for chroma upscaling probably won't accomplish a lot, anyways.

Thank you, everything is running smoothly now! and everything is being up-scaled to 4K, it's beautiful. just watched Back to the Future in pseudo 4K. i'm so happy, thanks for your patience.
Anyone have experience setting up the Vizio PQ to work well with madVR? The issue I'm running into is that with Full UHD Color enabled in the TV input, madVR set to 8-bit depth, and nVidia control panel set to RGB Full 8-bit, the TV won't switch the HDR10 despite it being passed through. If I change only madVR to 10-bit it works.

Since nvidia won't allow us to choose RGB 10-bit, I'd rather madVR do the dithering down to 8-bit, and the GPU just pass that through. I've tried it with Full UHD Color disabled on the TV, but I don't remember what happened. I'll have to retest when I get home.

In any case, if anyone has found a way to get the optimal setup using madVR and an nvidia card, please post it!
It is usually the driver that causes 10-bits to be necessary. Newer drivers are known to cause this. Check the list of supported drivers in the HDR section of this guide and try an older driver.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5