• 34(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
These are the settings for the five 3DLUT files I entered in madVR

Do you think that's okay ?
My chain is this:

(madVR) PC levels (0-255) 12bit -> (GPU) Limited Range 4:2:2 12bit -> (Display, LG C7) Output as Limited Range (Black Level option set to low)

I realise this is not in line with the options specified in the first post but could someone please clarify if it puts me at a disadvantage? It automatically switches to HDR and has no visible banding (had to turn off DXVA2 in mpc player settings as it produced heavy banding).

I found that by using Full Range RGB on the GPU it no longer switched to HDR during gaming (HTPC also serves as a gaming PC). Best compromise seems to be 4:2:2 which seems to work for both movies and gaming.

Am I missing something?
(2019-07-17, 23:23)gotham_x Wrote: These are the settings for the five 3DLUT files I entered in madVR

ImageImage

That is a lot of unnecessary 3D LUTs. You only need the BT.709 and DCI-P3 3D LUTs to cover all content, and the DCI-P3 3D LUT alone should be able to color correct all sources within the DCI-P3 color space.

The EBU and SMPTE 3D LUTs are completely unnecessary if your display covers any part of the BT.709 color gamut.
(2019-07-18, 02:33)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote: My chain is this:

(madVR) PC levels (0-255) 12bit -> (GPU) Limited Range 4:2:2 12bit -> (Display, LG C7) Output as Limited Range (Black Level option set to low)

I realise this is not in line with the options specified in the first post but could someone please clarify if it puts me at a disadvantage? It automatically switches to HDR and has no visible banding (had to turn off DXVA2 in mpc player settings as it produced heavy banding).

I found that by using Full Range RGB on the GPU it no longer switched to HDR during gaming (HTPC also serves as a gaming PC). Best compromise seems to be 4:2:2 which seems to work for both movies and gaming.

Am I missing something?

The GPU is applying range compression to the output from the media player and converting color spaces from RGB to YCbCr. If that works for you, that is fine, especially if you've tested for color banding. But it isn't a recommended pathway for a clean signal.

You should get a better result by setting the GPU to 8-bit RGB (16-235) rather than 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2.

Or set the GPU to 8-bit RGB at 60 Hz and change to the video playback refresh rates individually and apply 12-bit RGB to those refresh rates. Sometimes those saved 12-bit settings won't survive a reboot with Nvidia drivers, but it could be worth trying.

If you wanted to be thorough, you could test both YCbCr 4:2:2 and RGB 16-235 with this color space evaluation test pattern to see if you can find any differences between the two color spaces. It is designed for that purpose:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=22
To add to the above, the primary difference between outputting 8-bit RGB 16-235 and 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (besides the bit depth) should be chroma subsampling: RGB 4:4:4 vs. YCbCr 4:2:2.

RGB 16-235:

RGB 0-255 (from player/madVR with dithering) -> GPU Conversion: RGB 0-255 -> RGB 16-235 (more dithering/noise added) = RGB 16-235 with 4:4:4 chroma.

YCbCr 4:2:2:

RGB 0-255 (from player/madVR with dithering) -> GPU Conversion: RGB 0-255 -> YCbCr 16-235 (more dithering/noise added) = YCbCr 16-235 with 4:2:2 chroma.

I'm not sure if you'd notice the fine amount of noise added by the second dithering step, but the TV might handle a 4:4:4 input better than a 4:2:2 input. Or both could be the same. It is hard to say. By comparison, I don't think the bit depth from madVR (12-bit vs. 8-bit) matters that much. Both should look identical to the eye when madVR's dithering is applied.
Great, thanks for the thorough explanation.

I shall see what results I get with RGB Limited. Really, I would've loved to go Full -> Full -> Full if it wasn't for the lack of HDR during gaming with that configuration. RGB Full doesn't allow the display to switch to HDR for some reason, whereas YCbCr 4:2:2 does... This is problematic only in games, movies seem to work fine.
(2019-07-18, 04:27)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-07-17, 23:23)gotham_x Wrote: These are the settings for the five 3DLUT files I entered in madVR

ImageImage

That is a lot of unnecessary 3D LUTs. You only need the BT.709 and DCI-P3 3D LUTs to cover all content, and the DCI-P3 3D LUT alone should be able to color correct all sources within the DCI-P3 color space.

The EBU and SMPTE 3D LUTs are completely unnecessary if your display covers any part of the BT.709 color gamut.  

So, logically it would be enough to change profile and rule from 3DLUTs BT.2020 to DCI-P3 in madVR, is that correct ? thus leaving only two profiles and two rules , for DCI-P3 , 4k / HDR content and BT.709 for 1080 and SD content...reasoning fits ?
Yes, and you might have to check report BT.2020 to display (Nvidia only), but I'm not certain.
Thanks, I would like to try this if possible, create three profiles for BT.709, BT.2020 and DCI-P3 and respective rules , you can help with this ? with the creation of the rules are really a landslide.

I tried this rule, it doesn't work.

if (filePath="*BT2020*") or (hdr) "BT2020" 
if (filePath="*DCI-P3*") or (hdr) "DCI-P3"
else "BT709"

How about this:

if (fileName = "*BT2020*") and (HDR) "BT2020" 
else if (fileName = "*DCI-P3*") and (HDR) "DCI-P3"
else "BT709"
(2019-07-18, 16:11)Warner306 Wrote: How about this:

Which is great, as are you. It works perfectly.
Thanks!!!
I'm sorry . I sang victory too soon , If I was going to play 4K / HDR content, the profile is selected BT709 3DLUT.

BT2020

DCI-P3

The rule says you need BT2020 or DCI-P3 in the filename. That why it is easier to choose one or the other and simply use if (HDR) "DCI-P3".

Maybe you need to add .mkv to the filename rule:  if (fileName = "*DCI-P3*.mkv") and (HDR) "DCI-P3"
A simpler thing ? I should rename my entire UHD collection , I tried to insert in the .mkv rule, but, it doesn't work.
All my UHD 4K / HDR contents have a nomenclature like this: .4k.hdr.10bit.mkv
I don't think you want to rename your entire collection. We must be doing something wrong with the fileName profile rule, but I don't know what it is. Do your files have BT2020 or DCI-P3 in the filename?

Is there any reason why you don't want to use either the BT.2020 or DCI-P3 3D LUTs alone? There is no real benefit to adding both.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5