• 39(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
(2019-09-18, 21:34)Warner306 Wrote: It sounds like coil whine, but that wouldn't come from the speakers. Are you sure it isn't the power supply fan? That is often louder than the GPU fan. When the GPU starts to throttle down, does the sound remain? Coil whine should subside as fast as the GPU load is removed.
I am certain it is coming from the GPU.  Yes as soon as I stop a video the sound instantly stops.  The sound I hear in the speakers mimics exactly the sound I hear coming directly from the graphics card.

Thanks
Can someone provide some links to some AMD Adrenalin 2019 driver settings guide, only for use with madVR video renderer, not game.
GPU, SAPPHIRE Nitro + Radeon RX 5700 XT

Obviously , the reference to my question is about the driver Adrenalin 2019 control panel .
Hi everyone,

this is my first post here Smile

I do make use of madVR/Kodi to get a great picture on my LG 55EG9109 OLED tv which has no HDR capabilities. So, I would to use HDR -> SDR tone mapping.
Unfortunately, as soon as I configure tone mapping (see screenshot) I do get a black screen. As GPU I'm using a GTX 1070, driver version 436.48. I appreciate any help in order to get the tone mapping running.

Thanks
It could be a bug in that test build. Try switching your device type from AVR to Digital Monitor and try again.
(2019-10-15, 14:45)Warner306 Wrote: It could be a bug in that test build. Try switching your device type from AVR to Digital Monitor and try again.

Thank you for this hint but it did not help. Any other ideas?
Maybe you didn't install the test build correctly? Try resetting madVR to its defaults from the installation folder or starting over again by reinstalling madVR and then adding the test build.
(2019-10-15, 21:53)elhifinio Wrote:
(2019-10-15, 14:45)Warner306 Wrote: It could be a bug in that test build. Try switching your device type from AVR to Digital Monitor and try again.

Thank you for this hint but it did not help. Any other ideas? 
Problem solved -> just reinstalled madVR without new betas for HDR measurement and it works Smile
Good evening all,

Firstly, @Warner306, thank you immensely for the guide. Most of it is over my head, but I have come so far and am enjoying stunning images and happy operation of Kodi and madVR thanks to you. Since using madVR it feels like I have a new projector, the improvement is that great.

I have the strangest issue with my JVC X7900 projector which seems tied to my operation of Kodi. I tried Googling but I cannot find any other mention of my problem online. JVC are investigating the issues but I fear I will have to sesnd my PJ in for service.

I have been having this iris issue I think for a short while now. I use THX mode as my default picture mode. The issue appears to be with some or all picture modes as I just tested it and it occurs with the Animation picture mode, too. When set to Auto 1 or 2, no matter what iris step, 0 or -1 or -5 etc, going into the Kodi (media player) home screen will sometimes, more often than not, clamp the iris down lower and make the image considerably darker/ sometimes not. I use Kodi in fullscreen. I do not use FSE mode. I am able to come in and out of Kodi easily by using Alt Tab. After the iris clamps down, coming back out of Kodi, the image remains as dark as it was when in Kodi. And then manually changing the Iris back to 0, it is as bright as it always in on 0. However, the jump in brightness from -1 to 0 is now sudden and steep (at default/ before, the difference is slight and gradual, as it is for all of the other iris steps). This means that -1 is darker than it usually is/ was before. So, the iris settings from -15 to 0 now seem out of step. I have to drop the iris all the way down to -15 and all the way back up for the light output to be how it usually is, as in, gradual, where -1 to 0 is a similar change as between all the other steps. Once I reset the iris, the issue can still occur from within Kodi still open, for example when bringing up a certain menu and the Kodi screen goes darker then back brighter, it will trigger the iris issue in which the iris clamps down considerably and then -1 to 0 is a big jump.

I have to manually 'unlock' this sharp increase in light from -1 to 0 and get the brightness back to what looks normal at any setting, by going all the way down to -15 and back to 0, every time. I wonder if my iris is starting to fail. Or, could it be high lamp usage? I am at 2810 hours typing. But surely, lamp time should not effect the iris. It never did with my X5000. Could Kodi be the culprit here? I don't see why or what it might be doing to cause the iris to behave like this, though...

Just testing some more and I can also reset the iris to default smooth increments (light output between -1 and 0 not being so drastic) by dropping to -15 and back to 0 from within Kodi/ whilst displaying the Kodi home screen. The odd iris behaviour does not happen if left on manual. So, perhaps the JVC is at fault.

Tested some more and the issue occurs also when loading a film up and everything dims. -1 becomes darker than it was before and 0 is much brighter than -1. Resetting it whilst playing a film and then setting it back to Auto 2 and a random setting like -5, the iris does not appear to function at all.

The issue is definitely intermittent, as this morning a few goes loading and stopping a film in Kodi, the iris and DI were normal. But tonight, it was fine about twice, starting and stopping a film, but then when I stopped the film a further time, the iris clamped down again. I had to reset it by dropping all the way down to -15 and back to 0 again.

Has anyone experienced this issue. It is so mind-boggingly strange - and extremely frustrating and upsetting - because it only happens when using Kodi. Could it be the manner in which the projector is speaking to my PC/ Kodi?

Kind thanks,

fallinlight
I also just realised the following. When asked by a fellow AVF member, "What's wrong with the iris? Is it sticking? As in or works one minute the next minute it's stuck", I realised that it does also seem to do this. But as in the DI functionality. The iris always exhibits differences in light output whether when working smoothly or out of whack, as described in my post. But when it is working smoothly, as in the increments of light output from -15 - 0 are smooth and gradual, leaving it set to whichever number and viewing content, the iris definitely seems to work less/ less obviously. When the iris makes the image dimmer than usual, with the sudden burst of light from -1 - 0, viewing the same content, the DI is clearly doing more work and is more obvious in its light pumping and noise/ operation.
There could be an issue with the iris. However, it could also be that the projector has some issue with the way the skin you are using is rendered. It seems to take issue with the contrast of the skin and treats it almost like a test pattern.

I would suggest trying another Kodi skin, perhaps one with brighter backgrounds or one that allows you to add your own bright backgrounds.

These are some skins worth trying:

Aeon MQ8 (For Kodi Leia v18)
Aeon MQ7 (For Kodi Krypton v17.6)
Titan BINGIE (For Kodi Leia v18)
Titan (For Kodi Kryption v17.6)
Aeon Nox SiLVO (Must add your own backgrounds)
Cheers @Warner306. I use Kodi Krypton v17.6, so will experiment with a new skin(s) soon. I will also relay this to JVC.

Has there been any other reports of what I have reported from JVC owners? It seems odd that I am the only one to have done so (I could not find history of the same or similar online), as there are a lot of JVC/ XX900 owners who use Kodi.

fallinlight
It would be a shame to have to use a brighter skin, I prefer very dark ones, and bright images wash my image out somewhat and light up my room (non bat-cave). I will report back soon. Could it be possible that if this is a bug/ comparability issue with JVC projectors, for the issue to be fixed from the Kodi software end?
I can't see how it would be a bug. The projector is just projecting the brightness of the pixels on screen. A fullscreen, dark image must cause the iris to clamp down. Or there are enough bright elements in the skin against a darker background to cause this effect to occur. I don't think that is something that could be controlled by Kodi. There is nothing special about Kodi's skins compared to any other media manager out there.
I see OK, I mis-understood you then. Because the iris definitely malfunctions when using Kodi. I will see again if I can replicate the issue using another software/ player.

To simply the issue: Stopping and starting Kodi, at the home screen Movie menu showing my films, sometimes nothing will happen to the iris/ sometimes it will clamp down. This is when the iris steps become out of whack. Same with sometimes playing a film and stopping and landing back at the same screen in Kodi, it will sometimes occur/ sometimes not. So odd.
I don't know enough about how the iris works to understand what would cause that to happen. A sudden change in brightness seems like the most likely cause. Do observe any sudden brightness pumping when you start a movie from the library?

Unfortunately, I don't recall any other JVC projector owners complaining about a similar issue.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5