• 44(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Artifacts like that would imply the image is being corrupted. So something more significant could be going on.

Are all the queues full during playback and are your rendering times under the frame interval time?
Greetings, friends.

A huge thank you to Warner306 and all to have contributed to the thread.  Is there any more recent info regarding those of us with 1440p monitors?  I saw this asked much earlier in the thread but it is several years old and about an outdated version madVR.  I frequently watch both 1080p and 4k content.  I have a 1080 Ti so power is not much of a concern.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the forums about using a 1440p resolution. The advice would be the same as any other output resolution: choose settings that keep your rendering times reasonable and use image doubling over other upscaling methods when possible (NGU is usually preferred as the image doubler). Image downscaling will often be involved at 1440p when combined with doubling, but that shouldn't be an issue if your GPU is powerful enough.

Do you have any other questions that are specific to using 1440p at the output resolution?
(2020-01-14, 11:39)Warner306 Wrote: I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the forums about using a 1440p resolution. The advice would be the same as any other output resolution: choose settings that keep your rendering times reasonable and use image doubling over other upscaling methods when possible (NGU is usually preferred as the image doubler). Image downscaling will often be involved at 1440p when combined with doubling, but that shouldn't be an issue if your GPU is powerful enough.

Do you have any other questions that are specific to using 1440p at the output resolution?

If it's simply a matter of adjusting your recommended settings to my hardware then I'm all set.  I was curious though if the recommended algorithms themselves, not their quality level, would be different, NGU Standard vs Sharp for example when less scaling is required due to the relatively smaller difference between 1080p and 1440p vs 4k.  From what I gathered that's largely preference and quality of source material but it's been nagging at me.

Thank you again for your guide, it has been a tremendous help for a novice like me.  Clearly I just need to upgrade to 4k for my media playback needs.
NGU Sharp, Standard and Anti-Alias are all tuned to have different levels of sharpness. It is more a matter of whether you prefer a sharp or less sharp image.

A secondary consideration is the quality of the content. The sharpest scaler, NGU Sharp, can look poor with some low-quality content by enhancing more artifacts than Standard or Anti-Alias, which are more forgiving.
Hi Guys,

Thanks everybody for all the useful advise i found here to tune my madVR. Everything is working perfectly on my HTPC with a 1050Ti.

However i have only one issue, when i play a movie the refresh rate sync to the movie but when i stop the movie the refresh rate stay at 23p and Kodi GUI is not as fluid as in 60p...
when i check the Nvidia settings i can see that it is 23Hz, if i put back 60Hz everytime i play a movie it will change and stay at 23Hz.

So is there a way to force madVR go back to 60Hz when i stop the movie ?

Thanks for the help
I've had that happen to me when using MPC-HC as the player. The player didn't seem to be closing the MPC-HC process correctly when stopping playback and the GPU seemed to get tripped up.

I corrected this by using an AutoHotKey script that killed MPC-HC when I pushed stop on a Harmony remote.

You could also try using the built-in refresh rate switcher in the media player as opposed to using madVR to change refresh rates.

Here is the AutoHotKey script that I use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Roskw4k...sp=sharing

There are instructions here on how to install AutoHotKey:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1949380

If you want to change the keypress, you need to Google the AutoHotKey manual for a suitable command.

This is the code snippet that kills the media player when the Media_Stop command is pressed:

$Media_Stop::
SendInput {Media_Stop}
Process, Exist, mpc-hc.exe
If (!ErrorLevel= 0)
{
Process, Close, mpc-hc.exe
}
Return
Thank you very much i will try that !
all of the kudos in the world to @Warner306 for this quintessential madvr setup guide... amazingly, despite how incredibly popular madvr is, finding something that approaches 20% of this tutorial is next to impossible, let alone something as detailed, so thanks again!

re the note:

"Note: trade quality for performance checkbox compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy should be unchecked. The quality of tone mapping goes down considerably when this is enabled, so avoid using it if possible. It should only be considered a last resort."

not only is it important to uncheck this for performance reasons, but a couple of very important madvr v113 hdr tone map pixel shader options are greyed out, unusable, if it's not unchecked.
@Warner306 

Out of curiosity I tried your madVR settings for both 1080p and 2160p content (custom categories). My setup is pretty powerful with a 2080 Ti and 9900k yet 1080p content visibly stutters (drops frames) with the settings applied. Default works a charm though. Is that because of buggy drivers for 20-series GPUs? Is there an updated guide somewhere for newer cards?
I'm not sure. If the rendering times are under the frame interval, it could be something other than GPU performance. RTX cards are known to have issues with madVR with current drivers where the video will stutter despite having low rendering times. To fix this, set present frames in advance to 1. Setting the present queue to 3 frames might also solve the stutter. Enabling V-Sync might also help.
Do you mean lowering the default value of 8 frames in advance to 1? And V-Sync as an application setting in Nvidia Control Panel?
Yes.
@Warner306 thought you might be able to help. I have Kodi (Dsplayer version Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI005)

I have a harmony hub connected to my Win 10 PC. I keep losing the ability to control Kodi with the harmony remote.

For instance I will play a movie, and once it starts the remote doesn't work, I have to click the mouse on the screen then the remote will respond.
Then when I stop playback I have the same issue at the home screen.

I have my PC connected to a Denon AVR, and also have an Nvidia Shield. I have been leaving Kodi open on the PC while switching devices, not sure if this is causing an issue
because a reboot will usually fix things for a time. Any thoughts on this?
This sounds like a focus issue where something else in Windows is stealing focus away from Kodi. I don't know the exact origin based on that description, but one thing you could try is to install Lancher4Kodi and set Kodi to constantly refocus every few seconds.

It is a simple program to install and use. You would have to search through the menus to find the focus option and try experimenting with it:

136798 (thread)
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5