• 37(current)
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2017-02-19, 06:16)memoriesman49 Wrote: Why are you so upset. Not sure of the percentage but most addons infringe at some level. Kodi by its mear existence provides the environment for copyright infringement.
So does every operating system, compiler, browser, ...
Another mainstream media article advising that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal but still informing people of what they are and what they can do: Sad

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/scie...Box-Addons
(2017-02-19, 12:08)noikz Wrote: Another mainstream media article advising that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal but still informing people of what they are and what they can do: Sad

I think that's a pretty reasonable article tbh.
It doesn't 'advise that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal' though. You've misread it.
(2017-02-19, 12:18)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:08)noikz Wrote: Another mainstream media article advising that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal but still informing people of what they are and what they can do: Sad

It doesn't 'advise that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal' though. You've misread it.

It's reasonable in that it explains that Kodi itself is legal but it's drawing attention (and basically providing advice) on the streaming add-on problem.

They've provided quotes from the director general of FACT advising that the boxes with the add-ons are illegal: ""Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal "
(2017-02-19, 12:31)noikz Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:18)trogggy Wrote:

It's reasonable in that it explains that the Kodi itself is legal but it's drawing attention (and basically providing advice) on the streaming issues.

They've provided quotes from the director general of FACT advising that the boxes with the add-ons are illegal: ""Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal "
Thanks, I read it.
As I said, the article doesn't 'advise that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal' though. You've still misread it.
(2017-02-19, 12:35)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:31)noikz Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:18)trogggy Wrote: I think that's a pretty reasonable article tbh.

It's reasonable in that it explains that the Kodi itself is legal but it's drawing attention (and basically providing advice) on the streaming issues.

Thanks, I read it.
As I said, the article doesn't 'advise that the "fully loaded boxes" are illegal' though. You've still misread it.

Thanks, he hasn't misread it.

"Fully loaded box" = "Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material"

Which the quote from Kieron Sharp states are illegal.
(2017-02-19, 12:42)TCCalvin Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:35)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-02-19, 12:31)noikz Wrote: It's reasonable in that it explains that the Kodi itself is legal but it's drawing attention (and basically providing advice) on the streaming issues.

Thanks, I read it.

Thanks, I haven't misread it.

"Fully loaded box" = "Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material"

FACT (Kieron Sharp) = the studios.**
What FACT says is not gospel - far from it, they have an interest.
These are the people (actually Universal) who were telling us video recorders were illegal. Ooops.
Whether these boxes are (in some cases in the uk at least) illegal to sell is currently the subject of several cases.
Whether they're illegal to own - which is a very different question - hasn't been tested, and isn't being. It certainly wouldn't come under the same legislation they're using to prosecute box sellers.
In any case my pc comes under the description of "Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material" since it's connected to my tv, connected to the internet and 'loaded' with Firefox.

You're confusing a journalist quoting an opinion with a journalist giving his / her opinion.

Edit: are noikz and TCCalvin the same person? - just realised 'I haven't misread it' has mutated into 'he hasn't misread it', which is a bit odd. Maybe it meant 'I haven't misread it either...'? Whatever.
** Edit2: just idly googling and found the MPAA (studios effectively) withdrew funding from FACT last year - so 'FACT = the industry' would be more correct. The argument isn't affected though.
You're confusing all machines running Kodi with streaming addons with selling "fully loaded boxes" setup and sold with the intent of illegally streaming copyrighted material.

This is the reasoning behind the recent arrests and the case of Brian Thompson which is looking likely to see the case set a legal precedent.

The boxes themselves are not illegal, but after the investigation Middlesbrough Council believe selling them "pre-loaded" is.
(2017-02-19, 14:38)TCCalvin Wrote: You're confusing all machines running Kodi with streaming addons with selling "fully loaded boxes" setup and sold with the intent of illegally streaming copyrighted material.

This is the reasoning behind the recent arrests and the case of Brian Thompson which is looking likely to see the case set a legal precedent.

The boxes themselves are not illegal, but after the investigation Middlesbrough Council believe selling them "pre-loaded" is.
I'm confusing things?
ORly?
(2017-02-19, 12:42)TCCalvin Wrote: "Fully loaded box" = "Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material"
Why are you so exercised about 3rd party addons. It is addons make Kodi worth anything. What is in it for you? It is understandable that 3rd party addons are a potential problem, but so is the internet. Since, addons pull streams from all over the internet, are you will to police the internet? Since Kodi is open source what is there to stop someone taking the code and create a clone? Is it possible that another way to address these issues you have suggested that a Industry Organization be established that is not controlled by Koki Foundation. This industry organization could begin to standardize addons, work with content owners, and even box manufactures. I am working with a group to estblish such a group, Society for the Advancement of Streaming Technology. If interested in more information please contact me. The future of streaming is in a very critical point. Let's development this group together.
Dennis Humphrey
Texas, USA
(2017-02-19, 19:28)memoriesman49 Wrote: Why are you so exercised about 3rd party addons. It is addons make Kodi worth anything.

Hey look, you answered your own question immediately by parroting the talking point of every addon pirate ever. That might be a new record.
(2017-02-19, 19:28)memoriesman49 Wrote: I am working with a group to estblish such a group, Society for the Advancement of Streaming Technology. If interested in more information please contact me. The future of streaming is in a very critical point. Let's development this group together.

Dude, this guy Dennis means business. I'm pretty sure his spelling mistakes are part of of the SftAoST manifesto. We should all contact him and get down to business.
Most of the websites that were listed are no longer available, the ones that are active are not doing anything wrong. They are Kodi enthusiast taking about Kodi addons and other related topics. I have not checked every single one but those that were checked are just discussing Kodi related topics. I think it is called free speech. If you are saying because the used the word Kodi that they are violating trademark law then it seems reasonable that Kodi Foundation send each website a legal notice, for most website owners if they receive such a notice there will be a positive response otherwise file suite. But, attempting to use social pressure is over the top, it is Kodi's responsibility to defend trademark not a grass roots attempt to smear for the most part Kodi enthusiast who are not doing anything malicious.
Has anyone any idea what this guy is talking about? Is it a wind-up or some troll attempt Smile On one hand he wants to setup some 'organisation' whilst on the other he's complaining about Kodi defending trademarks or something, I don't know. Must be a troll attempt, surely...
(2017-02-20, 17:14)FXB78 Wrote: Has anyone any idea what this guy is talking about? Is it a wind-up or some troll attempt Smile On one hand he wants to setup some 'organisation' whilst on the other he's complaining about Kodi defending trademarks or something, I don't know. Must be a troll attempt, surely...

Not a clue, but I do like the acronym SftAoST. So what if it's difficult to say.
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23