Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-12, 17:22)da-anda Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 17:12)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 17:09)jjd-uk Wrote: In US law covered by this I believe:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1125

See Cyberpiracy prevention section.
If you can explain how someone posting a couple of skins on their site comes under cyberpiracy prevention I'm all ears.

Edit: Interestingly - that section only applies to people 'intending to profit...'
nobody said that having a website with a couple of skins is falling unter cyberpiracy. Our policy also mentiones that, if we get asked and agree (!), Kodi can be used in domain names. We're sorry for the users that only had good intentions in mind, but we're so fed up with the current situation that we at least for now want to wipe the slate clean and go from there carefully. We're no company, have no interrest in getting closed source, selling the project or whatever - all we want is to protect the name of the project we devote our love and time to. So please bear with us when we come off a bit harsh and fight against anyone who comes our way atm.
If you've read the thread (which I don't doubt) the question has been asked and the answer given - you can ask but the answer will always be 'No'. Until some unspecified time in the future.
That's fine, that's your policy. But that doesn't mean it has any legal basis.
Keith has said it's 'not allowed'
jjd-uk has suggested that it isn't legally allowed (here and here).
His own links don't seem to confirm that - if anything the opposite.

'Bear with us if we come across a bit harsh' is fine. I have a lot of sympathy for your position. But I think you are, to use Nate's expression, 'overreaching.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by trogggy - 2016-02-12, 17:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23