Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-12, 22:29)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 22:22)ilovemymac Wrote: So if someone uses kodi on a box but doesn't use the name kodi or the logo in advertising yet is still using KODI with 3rd party add ons how do we combat this? I mean Kodi seems like the issue is more they just don't want to deal with the influx of people here and association but are not so concerned with the actual sales?

The group still doesn't like it when third party add-ons are pre-installed, because that in itself gives the false impression that Kodi comes with those add-ons, they're official somehow, etc. However, I think the basic gist of what you're asking is; can someone still make money off of "free TV" boxes without hurting the Kodi brand? Yes. That's the really funny thing about all of this, because it's a situation where everyone can win.

Look at how fast these guys started using the name Kodi when XBMC first changed the name? They don't need the name to sell their box. Some of them think so, but the people buying it for the free TV stuff don't care how they get the content.

Playing devil's advocate, I actually think it's rather limiting to market a box as only for Kodi.
Your right gosh there are lots of legal apps now that can help you cut cable and you could use KODI for your media. Vidangel is a neat site that will sell you a movie at $20 then if you just what they call sell back the movie to them its only $1 as long as its within 24 hours. They have a editing program you can edit language or violence or nudity out of a movie.
I like this as some movies are great but just overboard on the language and or nudity. For cable cutters now there is Sling tv, there is HBO, CBS, Showtime and more. These boxes can even be used to do web surfing and more. I have wanted to do one for my grandparents because they have a huge library of old movies and they end up placing a dvd back in the wrong box and then they spend days looking for that movie again. Boom kodi solves that put it all on a drive. Then they can use the box to Skype with the great grandkids and even use netflix and such.

And your right no one needs the name kodi ti sell a box. In fact there was a company at our state fair last year some of my friends saw i didn't see first hand but the pics i was sent (they were laughing at the cost) they called it whatever the box brand was media center. Kodi was not mentioned no logos no anything.
Cant think of the name now but anyway its just proof people could do what they want and be happy and still keep KODI out of it.
Or use one of the forks that are out there as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by ilovemymac - 2016-02-13, 17:50
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23