Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-16, 20:45)natethomas Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 20:23)halikus Wrote: I've been using Kodi long enough that i'm pretty sure these 2 features aren't included; Fresh start (reset to default settings) and a simple "info" disclaimer msg inside settings. A simple button in settings that when clicked displays info about your trademark stance, your feelings about people infringing your trademarks and a screenshot of what a default Kodi homescreen looks like. Also, a button that will wipe your addon data and addons folder that basically returns you to a default fresh install. I have bought boxes that come pre loaded with garbage and i always wished there was a simple way to remove it. You could also add the equivalent of an "install from untrusted sources" button that enables outside repos distancing yourselves a little more from "them". It's what i would do with 16 so close to final. Heck, i already have a standalone .py for fresh start if you need it. Smile

There actually are fresh start or factory reset or whatever you want to call them buttons for each settings page. I'm not sure if we've ever considered making a factory reset for addons.
A FULL KODI RESET button would be a good start. The bizarre thing is the couple of boxes I have seen actually have these added to them via their own add-ons where they reset to a vanilla KODI. This really needs to be a built in feature as it will allow a dodgy box purchaser to wipe the dodgy bits and come into the clean and happy KODI fold.

I also totally agree with halikus's other points. Get statements into the product itself just like a Google App store. You have to flick switches and agree to warnings to install anything not in the official Google App Store. KODI needs to do the same so that a polite clear message can appear in front of the person who has innocently bought a box from a dodgy source. This then will present KODI as the good guys who will help get a media player working and the supplier is the one clearly tweaking to other unsupported uses.

Remember - the people buying these boxes are NOT computer people. Some of them will barely know what a forum is. So present messages to them from within KODI and politely educate them. The two boxes I have seen so far both were in the hands of people who didn't even use a home computer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by BatterPudding - 2016-02-17, 00:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23