Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-17, 23:18)Gombeek Wrote: The problem Kodi's argument has is it conflict all the way through it:
We don't want to be associated with piracy add ons but we won't stop development of 3rd party add ons.
We don't care about public support, popularity or money, but we want our software readily available to the masses and we want to sign deals with companies to make software for them.
We don't want you tubers talking about the 3rd party add ons and using our software for piracy, but we support a youtube channel called "Kord Kutters".
We don't want box sellers selling our software with 3rd party addons, but we want our software available on the most popular platform for box sellers even though it doesn't run that great in respect to other devices.
I could go on but you get the point.

IMHO

They responded to that. They stated they are not making a moral stance. They don't care about people using Kodi and Third party addons to obtain pirated content. What they want, as I understand it now, is to distance themselves from the perception that the Kodi Foundation is either promoting this behavior or that enabling piracy is their end goal. Kodi Foundation have their own agenda with other business deals or goals, and what is happening out there in the wild, is hurting their reputation and their ability to close these deals. They are acting on self interest, not from a moral or ethical stance. And that is ok, it is their right to act in their self interest. They aren't after copyrights violations (the code), they are after trademark violations (name and logo).

What I have said several times now, is that not striking a deal with youtubers. I believe this is a bad strategy were only the youtube people will end up benefiting. The Kodi Foundation do care about their install base. They quote it as a milestone in a video. It is the install base, and not features, what matter when trying to strike deals.

On a side note, since you mentioned it, I don't get the "Kord Kutters" name. Kodi is not a cord cutting alternative. They don't offer "real" content. They do support an interface free OTA, which people can do directly on their TVs anyway. SingTV, Netflix, Hulu, those are cord cutting alternatives. Just a side note, now back on track...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by coremailrx8 - 2016-02-18, 00:07
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23