Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-02-18, 00:03)Ned Scott Wrote: @Gombeek

In no particular order:

Pivos was a company for years before the XBMC/Kodi port, with products that only played back a user's local library. They wanted a better player for their hardware business. So, no, Pivos was not banking on the streaming add-ons (legal or not). There's no pretending going on, these are facts. You don't get to drag Pivos's name through the mud like all of the people who assume Kodi devs make Kodi for pirating.

Kord Kutters is not endorsed by the Kodi project, and does not promote pirate/bootleg methods. The concept of cord cutting is not defined by piracy. The term typically refers to using legal streaming services, OTA, and local media as an alternative to cable TV. Nate and I don't help anyone pirate content.

YouTubers are free to talk about pirate add-ons and even make help videos for them. It is about how the Kodi brand is presented, and not a ban on giving information. The Kodi group doesn't even have that kind of authority. They can't stop people from saying "this works in Kodi" or "this is how you do it in Kodi", but they can stop people who are making it sound like its something official or it's some kind of main feature (for a lack of better words, sorry).

The Kodi group does not sign deals with companies. Sponsorships are done as no-strings-attached, to the point where companies walk away because they don't get anything special. Major efforts have been taken to reduce the need for any sponsorship, and to hopefully be totally community funded.

There are certain values that have to be upheld for Kodi. User freedom, open source, ease of use, and others are among them. "Solutions" that violate those are not going to be accepted. We don't want to be called rapists either, but we're not going to stop talking to women. Stopping Android development is the most absurd suggestion I've heard yet. You might as well suggest stopping all Kodi development as a possible solution. You think there are conflicting positions because the Kodi group does not choose the easiest methods to solve part of the problem. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Kodi group seeks a solution that fits their goals, and is not simply whatever is easiest. It's very short sighted to think that it can't be done, and everything that has happened in the last week suggests that it can be done.

Ned, again I'm going to say it, your responses are always very political and well worded and i mean that as a sincere compliment.

I don't disagree with you regarding the when people make their youtube channel/videos/whatever sound like official words from Kodi it's wrong, It's immoral and deceptive, and I don't blame Kodi in the least from enforcing action on sed violators.

While i do have to chuckle at your analogy regarding rapists and it's a good point, one could also say if you don't want to be called a pedophile don't hang out at children playgrounds handing out candy. It's not a matter of spiting you face by cutting off your nose, its a matter of control public opinion. The man handing out candy might just sincerely like giving candy to kids but how did that work out for MJ?

You shouldn't have to take the easiest solution, and i never said it couldn't be done, anything can be accomplished with enough time and more importantly enough money. The task is Herculean in that you don't have the resources of a for profit organization and you're lacking in the public support, meaning that the majority of the general public perceives Kodi in a manner that is contradictory to how you want it to be seen.

IMHO

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Gombeek - 2016-02-18, 01:14
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23