Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
@tornicade - we all appreciate that English may not be your first, or even your second or subsequent - language, but it's really hard to understand the point you're making. You seem to be throwing in comments about trademark use, trademark violation, OpenGL support, Team Kodi's (perhaps, retrospectively, unwise) decision to make a standalone Android app, Android firmware, streaming apps available on Android (legitimate and otherwise), plus a few others. It feels like an explosion in a grocery aisle, hoping to make a full five-course meal out of the results.

Please, separate out your points, and then maybe folks can debate them.

Re: Nvidia/Wetek - they're not violating anything if they're using 'vanilla' Kodi. Anyone who is modifying it (so installing addons from other sources, for example) but still calling it 'Kodi' is guilty of technical infringement. Now, whether the Foundation wants to pursue that or not is a different matter - it all boils down to whether they think it's damaging to the brand, I suspect.

Re: community, yes, there was a conversation about that - how best to enlist more help, accepting that trademark infringement notices really have to come from the Foundation or an authorised agent thereof. Rebranding gave trademark control, but enforcement is different (just as there's nothing stopping me from opening a restaurant called Kentucky Flayed Chicken - until someone forces me to stop).

Re: OpenGL and versions... I think your point is that different Android boxes support Kodi to different extents, and some kind of "compatibility wizard" or similar would be useful. I guess the reference point would be the Windows Upgrade Advisor, although I believe that concludes that Win10 runs on anything younger than a valve with more than 640K of real memory.

Overall, is your point that Team Kodi could be doing a better job of sayign which boxes are good, rather than just saying that "some boxes are bad"?

EDIT

Ably demonstrating that English isn't technically my first language either....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Prof Yaffle - 2016-03-10, 23:16
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23