Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
A point of frustration does not trump the open source values of the project. Just because someone says "we don't like this" doesn't mean that they will do anything to stop it.

It doesn't matter if you call the Kodi project a business or not. When people say "Kodi is not a company" they mean that Kodi is not motivated by profit.

XBMC is trademarked, yes.

You seem to not understand the blog post about the issue.

"piracy add-ons" are just an example of how trademark violations can hurt the project. They are not the only examples. Anyone who violates the trademark, even those who aren't using piracy add-ons, should be reported. Kodi is required by law to defend their trademark, even if they don't want to. Several sites listed in this very thread have nothing to do with pirate streaming add-ons. You are confusing the main example as being the only example.

If that is true, then so be it.

There have been real situations where people who run some of the pirate add-on repos have actually deleted other add-ons that they didn't like. So if you had downloaded an add-on from Guy A, Guy B would update his add-on to delete Guy A's add-on. This actually happened when a group of people split off from "XBMCHUB" (now called TVaddons). Deleting files off your computer without your authorization sounds like malware to me.

Again, you seem to be misunderstanding the blog post and most of this thread. If my take doesn't sound anything like the others, it's because I'm trying very hard to explain it to you, so that you do understand.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Ned Scott - 2016-03-14, 13:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23