Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
(2016-06-01, 00:58)kduser35 Wrote: What's KODI's position on Community Build / Wizard YouTube videos? Will KODI try to take them down, or are these fair game?

Im my personal opinion, which is not an expert opinion, and is not representative of the Kodi project:

When you use a brand (name, logo, etc) in those kinds of videos, the important thing is the impression being made on the viewer. This may or may not be an intentional impression, but something that just happens.

If a video says "you can use Kodi to watch this stuff", but makes it clear that Kodi is not the source of content, then that's less likely to be an issue. Even things that are protected from trademark can still be used in simple statements and such. Trademark is not a ban or a total control of a word.

However, if a video makes it seem like Kodi is a "free TV service", even if that was not the intention of the video author, then that seems likely to be a trademark issue.

There may even be issues beyond trademark, or at least an overlap to other areas. For example, many videos have dubious claims (some are outright lies) about how legal some of these streams are, and that means even more issues when connecting the video to the Kodi brand.

It's somewhat hard to explain in a blanket statement, but I believe most authors of video guides (or any other kind of guide, website, etc), know when something will be an issue. I think many of them ignore this because it is easier, more profitable (from a product standpoint, or about getting more youtube subscribers, etc), or maybe they just don't care.

So it's not really about "fair game". It's closer to "are you damaging the Kodi brand or not?".

EDIT: After reminding myself of who you are from your other posts in this thread, I'm not sure why you are asking this. Surely you've seen this addressed more than once in the last 400+ posts. Maybe you are trying to prove a point, or trip someone up with their response by wording things differently? I honestly don't know, and I'm sorry to accuse anyone such things, but it seems to happen whenever this topic comes up.

However, my original response above assumed you were honestly asking the question. If that is the case, then I hope this provided some insight, even if unofficial.

2nd EDIT: oh wow, that made me hit 30K posts. The curse is broken! I'M FREE, FREEEEE!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - by Ned Scott - 2016-06-01, 06:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23