Req Subtitles charset: fast way to change it
Hi,
sometimes I watch a movie with subtitles charset which is different than the default.
Usually I need Italian, and charset utf8 of western europe is ok, and sometimes Croatian, which is Centrale Europe (Windows).
For now the only way to change it, is stopping the movie, go to settings, video, subtitles menu and change the charset.
But this way the new charset becomes default.

It'd be nice to have the opportunity to change the charset while you're watching the movie, for example adding an item of the menu "Audio and subtiltes" like "change subtitle charset".
It'd be even better if there was the possibility to store somewhere the pair subtitle language <=> default charset. For example:
"it" = "Western Europe (ISO)"
"hr" = "Central Europe (Windows)"
etc

thank you
frasurf
I came to file the same request but found this one staying for years.

it is very reasonable to allow user to change character encoding when selecting subtitle. As it is now, that it has to be set globaly for the whole application and changed each time before loading content is very complicated and hurts user experience.

This hurts anyone who watches contents with subtitles in different language cultures.
I think if your subs are encoded in UTF-8 which I also think srt/ssa/ass formats all allow then you should be Ok regardless, right?  But you're right if they are byte or double byte encoded then yes, you have to set the needed charset every time you change.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles charset: fast way to change it1