Android HD Audio (24bit / 192Khz) on NVidia Shield TV
Okay - too bad. So for the time being just use a Raspberry Pi 1 for HQ audio.

Edit: That being said I will ask keith of team kodi, if nexus 6 does the same / respectively FireTV. For now I think it's a Shield "software bug", so that the default API is forbiddend to open more than 48 khz for PCM output :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-03-10, 10:38)fritsch Wrote: For now I think it's a Shield "software bug", so that the default API is forbiddend to open more than 48 khz for PCM output :-(
Hopefully, nVIDIA will address it. Haven't checked Android N on the Nexus Player. Actually, I don't even know how it is on Android 6.0.
I don't see anyone having tried the Shield internal player, as that will surely tell if there's a software bug or if it's something Kodi is doing.
(2016-03-10, 18:58)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't see anyone having tried the Shield internal player, as that will surely tell if there's a software bug or if it's something Kodi is doing.
There is only native video player. Music files can be played in Google Music Player which seems to be using the NuPlayer. With that, the output can go all the way upto 192kHz and presumably is also 24-bit.
Works fine on non shield hardware ... just tested.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-03-10, 19:25)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-03-10, 18:58)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't see anyone having tried the Shield internal player, as that will surely tell if there's a software bug or if it's something Kodi is doing.
There is only native video player. Music files can be played in Google Music Player which seems to be using the NuPlayer. With that, the output can go all the way upto 192kHz and presumably is also 24-bit.

Is there no video samples floating around with 24/192 flac?
(2016-03-10, 21:57)jjd-uk Wrote: Is there no video samples floating around with 24/192 flac?
If I remember correctly, I think I had problems playing video files with FLAC audio in the native video player (won't open). Will have to check again.
I just wondered if there was potential source material such as concert blu-rays that might have 24/192 audio tracks, if it can be shown whether the Shield video payler can or can not handle it then maybe Nvidia can be involved as we did have lines of communication open to the Shield devs.
(2016-03-11, 01:09)jjd-uk Wrote: I just wondered if there was potential source material such as concert blu-rays that might have 24/192 audio tracks, if it can be shown whether the Shield video payler can or can not handle it then maybe Nvidia can be involved as we did have lines of communication open to the Shield devs.

2L Blu-rays have 24/192kHz 5.1 LPCM tracks. Stereo track is 24/96kHz, I think. I can cut a sample and send it to @hdmkv to add it to Kodi Sample Videos Wiki.
Maybe i am wrong but i suppose the Shield is playing my flac test file (192khz 24bit) just fine using Kodi 16.1 -RC2. At least that is what i am claiming to have seen in the Kodi Log Viewer Smile
Kodi sends 192 / 32 or 192 / 16 (we tested both) no doubt ... but android itself resamples ...
(2016-03-11, 21:21)fritsch Wrote: Kodi sends 192 / 32 or 192 / 16 (we tested both) no doubt ... but android itself resamples ...

Well... this is most likely an issue with the SHIELD. I tested in on the Nexus Player (Android N) and interestingly Kodi output for multichannel FLAC 24/96kHz is indeed 96kHz. With stereo 24/96 and both stereo and multichannel 192kHz, the output is 48kHz.

Here is a sample for 24/192kHz stereo PCM video: https://mega.nz/#!BI1EiRZC!vNCNFahl3nLxO...Fhl8O0zNV8
There is no audio when you play this in the native video player.
Can you post the Debug Log from the Nexus Player?
(2016-03-11, 22:21)fritsch Wrote: Can you post the Debug Log from the Nexus Player?
Will do that later tonight. Actually, what I noticed is that the "bisect" build that you made was more stable than "float" build. With the "float" build, the output is 96kHz only for the very first file that you play. Afterwards, the output is 48kHz.
Yeah - toothing problems ... Android can do to your audio whatever it wants ... if audiotrack wants to mix, it mixes ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Audio (24bit / 192Khz) on NVidia Shield TV0