v16 4k video stutter - Cache filled before reaching required amount
I put this post into existing thread in RPi branch, but probably here it's more relevant.
--------
I have to confirm strange behaviour of the cache.
My HTPC (Win10; i3-5010U, 8GB RAM, m2 SSD, Kodi 15.2) is connected through 5GHz 802.11n WiFi. Pretty stable signal, RX/TX rate 270Mbps, HTPC able to steadily receive 17-19MBps when copying file from the same SMB network location. Yet when I tried to play ~104Mbps (avg rate) 4k video I encountered stuttering in some parts of the movie.

So I set-up advancedsettings.xml as per guide with cache size ~100MB, caching everything and factor 2. When started playback the bar goes in few seconds to 1% and I immediately see the "Cache filled before reaching required amount." error mesage. Playback starts but the more data intensive parts of the movie are still stuttering - and when I look at wifi transfer speed during the playback it's more-or-less matching complexity of the scene (e.g. more changes/movements increase the bitrate and also wifi speed goes up). Therefore it seems the cache is virtually nonexisting because it's not able to cover anything.

PS : it's not by CPU or other HW limit - when connected over ethernet it works like charm.

Video details :
-------------
File size : 35.1 GiB
Duration : 48mn 22s
Overall bit rate : 104 Mbps
Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 48mn 22s
Bit rate : 101 Mbps
Width : 4 096 pixels
Height : 2 304 pixels
-------------

EDIT : Log http://xbmclogs.com/pnzomzcku
no debug log = no issue
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Log is here http://xbmclogs.com/pnzomzcku

The same stuttering continues in the next scene, however when I paused and unpaused the movie it continues smoothly. So the "error" from the previous scene influenced following part of the movie.

I think the problems start at line 1948. On 3626 I assume the moment when I paused&unpause the movie was continuing to stutter in the following scene.
you need a gigabit wired network imho wifi is no good for local streaming of big files we use.

Can i ask what 4k content you are using?
As I described above - HTPC is able to steadily copy file from the very same SAMBA server with speed of 17-19 MB/s over wifi. Which is more than enough to manage bitrate of this movie.(~13MB/s on average) especially with some cache to cover peaks.

I use TimeScapes.2012.2304p.CineForm.DD5.1.x264.
Most of my 1080p rips average over 20mb/s so for 4k thats a tad low quality
I do rip blurays at very high settings though but the proof is in the watching they look stunning - not like netflix HD or such like even netflix 4k blows compared to a high bitrate rip.
You probably didn't notice I wrote MB and you are talking about Mb. The 4k movie I'm using has bitrate ~13MB/s=~104Mb/s
up
Anyone encountering the same issues? Some advices for solution?
In advanced settings Have you set up a buffer mode go enable cache on local streams?

<buffermode>1</buffermode>

You can also try Zero caching and see if it helps but its not recommended as it causes excess Drive Wear but won't hurt for once just to see if it helps
I know what a bitrate is, and if your bitrate is 104mb/s no wonder your having problems
(2016-02-16, 02:32)Derek Wrote: I know what a bitrate is, and if your bitrate is 104mb/s no wonder your having problems
Sorry, but your posts have no added value.

(2016-02-15, 05:18)jaspreet Wrote: In advanced settings Have you set up a buffer mode go enable cache on local streams?
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
Yep, I did have 1 buffermode.
(2016-02-15, 05:18)jaspreet Wrote: You can also try Zero caching and see if it helps but its not recommended as it causes excess Drive Wear but won't hurt for once just to see if it helps
I assume zero cache is buffermode=3. Unfortunately no change, same behavior.
With buffermode 1 and cache size 0 also no change. Maybe the stuttering comes in 2-3 seconds later, but that might be only wishful thinking.
iperf3 test over 60s gave me 151Mbits/s throughput without any hiccups. So almost 50% more than average movie bitrate. Angry
No problem you disresperctful ******
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U
You are a classic waste of oxygen but i do like the simpsons so thanks for wasting even more of my time im sure NOONE will be too egar to help you in the future but good luck in you sad life.

I love the fact you actually spent time looking for that clip which shows how your time is so easily wasteful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k video stutter - Cache filled before reaching required amount0