Linux Choppy playback of HD recordings with pvr-hts
Hi!

I've been using MythTV as my media center for at least 10 years, but as the DVB-support in Myth is kind of hard to configure and manage I'm converting my setup to Tvheadend with Kodi and pvr-hts as frontends.

Everything works nice and I love how easy Tvheadend is to manage and configure... and Kodi is perfect for my frontend needs!

However, I've run into one issue I really can't solve and understand!

When playing back a HD recording in Kodi through the pvr-hts addon it is really choppy, like only showing a couple of frames before halting every other second and no sound at all. If I pause for a while and let the buffer fill upp I can get maybe 5-10 seconds of stutter free playback.

Everything else works as it should:

- Playback of SD recordings works like a charm
- Live TV through the pvr-hts addon works for both HD and SD channels
- Playing back all kinds of recordings through Tvheadend's web interface and VLC works

I can even playback the HD recordings stutter free if I map the recordings folder in kodi videos and play them....

The cpu usage of both the backend and frontend are low when trying to play the recordings, and I have gigabit ethernet on both.

I really can't explain why the stuttering occurs! If I solve this problem my setup will be perfect! Smile

Is there a difference in the protocol between tvheadend when streaming a recording instead of live tv?
Doeas anyone have an idea of what's causing my problems?

Best regards,
Hlund
Sorry! This thread should be in the Tvheadend section!

I've tried to delete the thread, but could'nt... Maybe a moderator can help?

/Hlund
Try to play with recording profile in tvheadend - see screenshot
There is a github issue https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/issues/286

As far as i get this, this seems to be an issue with a buffer inside the kodi client. I don't know any solution to that, but "jonudewux" uploaded a commit and a github repo.

As a workaround, add the tvheadend recording directory directly to kodi via SMB or any other sharing option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy playback of HD recordings with pvr-hts0