New receiver and now static with DTS & Fire TV 1
I currently have Jarvis RC3 installed on my Fire TV 1. I had it hooked up to an Onkyo SR-605 with pass-through enabled and successfully was able to play DTS / DD 5.1 content without any problem at all. I upgraded my receiver yesterday to the Denon AVR-X2200W and now when I go to play the same exact DTS / DD 5.1 content that worked on my Onkyo I get loud static noises.

If I look at my receiver it looks like it is receiving a PCM signal but not interpreting it properly. I turned off pass-through and can receive the audio in stereo format but at a loss for ideas as to what to do? I confirmed that DD+ content plays properly using the Prime content on Amazon so think it's an issue with how my receiver is understanding the stream that Kodi is passing to it

Would using an optical cable help with the issue? What about installing the experimental Jarvis release? I have tinkered with all the settings on my FTV as well as on my Denon and for the life of me can't see what the issue is....any help is greatly appreciated!

Wouldn't be ideal but if switching to a Nvidia Shield solves it then I am happy to do that as well
I would think it is a configuration issue on your new receiver are you sure the input interface is set to HDMI ?
(2016-02-17, 20:04)The Geezer Wrote: I would think it is a configuration issue on your new receiver are you sure the input interface is set to HDMI ?

Yup, think the more i look into this the more I see it is a problem with Denon receivers. Might look to swap for a Yamaha. Anyone else have success with DTS / DD 5.1 and Kodi using Yamaha receivers?
This is 1st I've heard of it effecting anything else. All 2015 Denon receivers below the 4200 have major issues with the new AppleTV and passthrough.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-02-17, 20:15)MrMC Wrote: This is 1st I've heard of it effecting anything else. All 2015 Denon receivers below the 4200 have major issues with the new AppleTV and passthrough.

Add FTV to the list....terrible static. Guess this one is going back as I use my FTV + Kodi as my primary media device
So I switched back to my Onkyo SR605 and now have my DD 5.1 and DTS back. Is there a running list anywhere of receivers that have successfully passed through DTS / DD 5.1 on Kodi? Does it have to do with the HDMI version / HDCP? For some reason it seems the newer receivers can't decode the passthrough but the older ones can and not exactly sure of the reason
Same issues with my Denon AVRX1200W via HDMI on AFTV Gen 1. I even tried loading Version 17.0 alpha (2/18/16 git nightly build).

I've also noticed that my output device is greyed out and I was hoping to change that to my A/V Receiver.

p.s. DSP processing doesn't work because there's no add-ons in the repository :\
I know exactly what this is and it is almost unsolvable. What happens is the flag for Dolby Digital or dts is not being seen when the source is selected. If you switch your AVR (receiver) to another source and back again - the flag will be picked up and it will play. If there is a drop out while playing and the DSP in the AVR loses the flag it will screw up again. The only way to solve this is to not use Pass-Through. I design these products (AVR - Processors) for a living and it has always plagued us with the decoding process. I hope somehow this helps.
(2016-02-20, 18:14)UncT Wrote: I know exactly what this is and it is almost unsolvable. What happens is the flag for Dolby Digital or dts is not being seen when the source is selected. If you switch your AVR (receiver) to another source and back again - the flag will be picked up and it will play. If there is a drop out while playing and the DSP in the AVR loses the flag it will screw up again. The only way to solve this is to not use Pass-Through. I design these products (AVR - Processors) for a living and it has always plagued us with the decoding process. I hope somehow this helps.

Detailed info would be nice to know. I'm almost at the point of getting an HDMI analyzer to see what the receiver is getting. And yes, I'm a sw/hw guy.
(2016-02-20, 18:14)UncT Wrote: I know exactly what this is and it is almost unsolvable. What happens is the flag for Dolby Digital or dts is not being seen when the source is selected. If you switch your AVR (receiver) to another source and back again - the flag will be picked up and it will play. If there is a drop out while playing and the DSP in the AVR loses the flag it will screw up again. The only way to solve this is to not use Pass-Through. I design these products (AVR - Processors) for a living and it has always plagued us with the decoding process. I hope somehow this helps.

Thanks. This is really helpful but curious as to why some receivers pick it up successfully and some don't (and which ones do)
Some (not all) AVRs have fast enough DSPs that allow them to check the flags more often and hence allows them to not drop or mess up the audio. Again this only works if the flags are present in the stream at the time of inspection. The CEA )Consumer Electronics Association) - now CTA (Consumer Technology Association) has bi-yearly 'plug fests' that allow manufacturers to test their products with other manufacturers HDMI operations. Sometimes this catches and fixes problems - sometimes not. Also this is voluntary and not all manufacturers attend. If enough consumers complain, the CTA asks the offending manufacturer to attend and they usually do. When cases get really bad, we (CTA Audio Board and or R3 (tech and standards for audio) have a little chat with the HDMI consortium. Several years back we fixed the HDMI in compatable HDCP problems caused by Intel by doing just this.

This is alot of ramble but you see, we as manufacturers are trying to do something in solving these issues even if it is long and painful.
if you tell me which 'flags' they are checking for, I'll shove them down it's throat more Smile

And FYI, ALL 2015 Denons below the 4200 have this issue. Something about those units using a different chipset than the 4200 and above.
(2016-02-23, 19:07)UncT Wrote: Some (not all) AVRs have fast enough DSPs that allow them to check the flags more often and hence allows them to not drop or mess up the audio. Again this only works if the flags are present in the stream at the time of inspection. The CEA )Consumer Electronics Association) - now CTA (Consumer Technology Association) has bi-yearly 'plug fests' that allow manufacturers to test their products with other manufacturers HDMI operations. Sometimes this catches and fixes problems - sometimes not. Also this is voluntary and not all manufacturers attend. If enough consumers complain, the CTA asks the offending manufacturer to attend and they usually do. When cases get really bad, we (CTA Audio Board and or R3 (tech and standards for audio) have a little chat with the HDMI consortium. Several years back we fixed the HDMI in compatable HDCP problems caused by Intel by doing just this.

This is alot of ramble but you see, we as manufacturers are trying to do something in solving these issues even if it is long and painful.

Does anyone know how active Denon attends/associates with the CTA?
Before API level 23, Android 6 - Android does _not_ want you to have anything besides AC3. Kodi sends DTS as PCM in 100% volume - if it does not work, unlucky you - but you bought hardware with sw combination that _shall_not_ have this feature.

It's a huge hack, if it works, it works - if not - not.

I can provide you a build with what "they" officially want you to have, which is AC3 only ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
MrMC, I have reported your issues to the right people and hopefully D&M will do something about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New receiver and now static with DTS & Fire TV 10