Custom Shutdown Timer Stop Then Sleep?
So far with my new Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH and kodibuntu, upgraded to Eisengard with Aeon Nox has just been a fantastic experience all around. It seems to sleep and wake just fine about 50% of the time. Although I often find myself falling asleep with an audiobook playing, and when it resumes I've read on these forums there are all kinds of odd problems. It will resume and still be trying to play my audiobook, and then all kinds of odd non responsive things start happening. GUI freezes, and other odd behavior. Is there a way to setup the custom shutdown timer to both stop (or try to stop) playback THEN go to s3 sleep?
(2016-02-20, 03:11)mikedpitt420 Wrote: So far with my new Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH and kodibuntu, upgraded to Eisengard with Aeon Nox has just been a fantastic experience all around. It seems to sleep and wake just fine about 50% of the time. Although I often find myself falling asleep with an audiobook playing, and when it resumes I've read on these forums there are all kinds of odd problems. It will resume and still be trying to play my audiobook, and then all kinds of odd non responsive things start happening. GUI freezes, and other odd behavior. Is there a way to setup the custom shutdown timer to both stop (or try to stop) playback THEN go to s3 sleep?

Hi mikedpitt420,

Would the following addon do the sleep behavior for you?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261959

Also, just out of interest - for audio books, are you using:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239859

Thanks

Rob
Apologies if I'm missing something. But what makes this plugin any different from the already built into nox's (kodi) custom shutdown timer? I see that it can perform a stop after track or video, but how would that help my situation if I have an audiobook that's 100 8 minute tracks without having to do some manipulation of files beforehand? It would shut off in 8 minutes in that situation. The built in also has a countdown, ability to cancel or extend, and notifications etc. What I was asking for is something that performs a "Stop Playback" THEN "go to S3 Sleep" preferable through the already built in shutdown timer. Is it possible to maybe make it call a script that throws those two commands to kodi somehow? "Stop Playback" waits 3 seconds, then "Go to S3 Sleep"? I know buried in one of the nox skin xml files is the action that is performed when the custom shutdown timer runs out. I can't find it atm, but I know it's there. It's now also a menu option in the Settings >> Power Saving section, but there isn't currently an option to do one thing then the other. So often it seems to sleep while it's in the middle of playing a track, and when it returns from sleep is when it crashes. Like I also said about 90% of the time it sleeps and wakes perfectly, so I'm wondering if a nox dev. can actually tell me if in fact it already is trying to perform these two things in sequence, and maybe the timing isn't enough in between steps, or if it indeed does just try to S3 in the middle of playback, and what consequences that could have returning from that state.

Also with the audiobooks plugin, no I haven't even tried it. I used a smart playlist, which I added as main a menu item (with custom backgrounds, looks nice) to only show what's got the Genre "Audiobook", which all my audiobooks do. That plugin states in the directions that it's slow and doesn't work so well over samba shares, which I'm using and for other reasons I don't wish to mount the remote directory as local. So per the instructions of that plugin I don't think it would have worked for me, but the solution I'm using now works quite well. It shows them as a separate thing, and I've adjusted the view to show the book covers etc. Just because I'm curious, what makes it so that this plugin doesn't work well over samba? I assume maybe it doesn't actually add anything to the kodi DB and is just browsing a particular place when you open it?

Thanks for the response, and again please excuse if I've missed something.
(2016-02-27, 19:43)mikedpitt420 Wrote: What I was asking for is something that performs a "Stop Playback" THEN "go to S3 Sleep" preferable through the already built in shutdown timer.

That is exactly what the Sleep addon does (Seemed to make sense when I wrote it to stop anything that's playing before shutting down.)

(2016-02-27, 19:43)mikedpitt420 Wrote: Just because I'm curious, what makes it so that this plugin doesn't work well over samba?

It uses ffmpeg to read the file (to get chapters, covers times etc), that will not work over the smb connection - so copies the file locally - but when it's read the details the first time it will store them in it's own database - so it's only slow the first time.

Thanks

Rob
Where in that plugin does it say it does anything different than the built in custom shutdown timer, other than stopping after a video or track?
(2016-02-27, 19:55)mikedpitt420 Wrote: Where in that plugin does it say it does anything different than the built in custom shutdown timer, other than stopping after a video or track?

I just said it Smile

Rob
Well thanks very much for the thorough explanation. I'm sorry, I don't just install plugins and add-ons (especially someone not listed as a developer or Kodi Team member) on a whim not really knowing what I'm doing. So a bit of an actual explanation would be great. I saw in your first post that it's your plugin, so I imagine that won't be difficult for you to do. Please excuse me if you think I'm being short, I just don't do something to my HTPC's because someone tells me to and because "I just said it". After reading the release notes with Kodi's Jarvis and their explanation as to how angry they've become at people creating add-ons and plugins (I understand this isn't a streaming add-on), I'm even more weary of just adding something before I completely understand what it does.

Thank you in advance.
Take it or leave it really, my addons generally have a lot more explanation than most.

http://addons.kodi.tv/author/robwebset/

Rob
Thanks for the genuine effort. Maybe it's just me, but your description of what your add-on does is severely lacking if it doesn't explain the difference between it, and the already built in custom shutdown timer, which to anyone else would appear to be the exact same thing, except as mentioned the stop after playback. To anyone, this appears like something that kodi nox already does. If you want anyone to download it you may want to try explaining what differentiates it from something that everyone already has?
(2016-02-27, 20:11)mikedpitt420 Wrote: Thanks for the genuine effort. Maybe it's just me, but your description of what your add-on does is severely lacking if it doesn't explain the difference between it, and the already built in custom shutdown timer, which to anyone else would appear to be the exact same thing, except as mentioned the stop after playback. To anyone, this appears like something that kodi nox already does. If you want anyone to download it you may want to try explaining what differentiates it from something that everyone already has?

Actually, I think Rob's add-on is totally different from the built-in "shut down when idle for ...".

It notifies you of how much time is remaining, it counts down before shutting down (which you can cancel), you can extend the time before it shuts down or cancel the timer altogether. It doesn't depend on your machine being idle for x minutes before being triggered.

This is not the same as the built in Kodi feature which just shuts down after a specified idle time.

I also have to say that Rob has written several great add-ons and I think you are doing him a bit of an injustice here. If you think his add-on may be malicious in some way, (it isn't at all), check out the code before you install it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
The built in custom shutdown timer shows notifications, allows you to cancel, extend the time, and has nothing to do with idle minutes. I'm not saying his add-on isn't awesome, I'd just like an explanation of the difference. As apparently no one seems to know that the built in one does the exact same thing (seemingly) other than sleep after a video stops.
It may not allow you to straight extend time, but it does show notifications and has the ability to cancel and create a new one. I'd have to check on the "adding time" but I am 50% sure it's an option. It definitely shows minutes notifications, does a countdown on screen, and allows you to cancel and create another one. The built in custom shutdown timer has nothing to do with idle minutes. That is another setting. Press the power button on your remote, which will bring up the menu to access the custom shutdown timer, and has nothing to do with how long a machine is idle. In (Expert) System >> Power Saving, you can control which action is performed when the timer runs out, powerdown, Sleep, Hibernate, etc. What I'm asking is how to perform both a "Stop Playback" then "Sleep" when the timer runs out. Since this plugin seems to do the exact same thing as the built in custom shutdown timer, why would it not make more sense to alter the action of the built in one rather than install another plugin that does what seems to be the exact same operation? What does this add-on do, that the built in already custom shutdown timer does not, other than shutdown after playback (which by the way can be manually edited into the xml skin file as a function, so you can in fact have the built in custom shutdown timer perform Stop Playback also)? As I mentioned in the very first post, I could edit that xml file to simply perform a "Stop Playback" when the timer runs out, and THEN use what black_eagle is talking about, the idle timer, to sleep the machine X minutes later. But performing them one after the other would be much more preferable. I don't think I'm asking for a whole heck of a lot here. I think maybe quite a few people had no idea that the custom shutdown timer even existed apparently.
I'm not trying to bash Rob, or any of his plugins. I've used tvtunes in the past and I think another one possibly. It's awesome work, and it's awesome people like Rob are contributing. I just honestly can't see any difference other than that one feature. And apparently no one wants to explain to me what that difference is. I don't want to be a total jerk and post in that add-on page saying "how does this differ from the feature list of the already built in custom shutdown timer" but other than that one feature, I'm obviously failing to see the difference.
Hmm, I do understand what you are saying, and I'm quite well aware that kodi has two "timeout" settings, a "shutdown timer" and a "shutdown when idle for x minutes" timer.

However, I think Rob wrote this add-on in response to a thread here -> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259451

I myself have converted and edited the script linked to in that thread and have it successfully running on 3 kodi instances ( all linux based).

I don't want to get into an argument about which method is better, but I would presume that Robs solution is cross-platform, whereas the solution I am currently using is pretty much linux based (although I think it could probably be persuaded to work with Windoze too !).

One button on a remote to increment the timer is very wife friendly which is always a major plus in our family.

As I said in Robs release thread, I haven't actually played with the add-on yet (as I have a solution which is working well and fulfils my needs) but I will certainly be installing it and testing it to see if it gives me extra functionality and/or a better experience.

Whether this is better than the built in shutdown/suspend/hibernate timer I'm currently not sure. Certainly the solution I currently have is (from my point of view). I have also had an add-on which popped up a query as to whether or not kodi should 'stay awake' after a certain time delay. That did work, but the "one button shutdown time" appealed to me.

As a note, if you feel you should ask as to what feature list the add-on has over the built in stuff, you should ask. Doesn't make you a jerk, makes you understand a little better. No-one learns anythig without asking !!!

Hope you get your solution Nod
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Shutdown Timer Stop Then Sleep?0