v16 Crashes with very large Number of jpg images
I have a Minix Neo X8-H Plus set top box and large numbers of jpg images stored on an external USB drive. There are a number of folders having anywhere from 7 to 10 thousand jpg images. When I navigate into one of these folders, Kodi starts to scrape, gets almost to the end and then crashes. It is able to succeed with folders have smaller numbers of files - around 2000, but if I run a slideshow, there is no way to stop it since Kodi becomes unresponsive and just keeps running the slideshow. With earlier versions a slideshow could be stopped by clicking the "carriage control" button (or whatever it's called).

This has not been a problem with previous versions (I started with 14, then upgraded to 15). This upgrade appears to have been installed automatically overnight. Frankly I'd rather go back to 15 since the image files are an important part of my application.

Are these known problems and is there a way to go back to Kodi 15?

Thx
The same thing is now happening on my Raspberry Pi 1. It is extremely disappointing because I also use the slideshow on directories with a large number of JPG files, and now it crashes every single time I try to use it. Navigating into directories with large numbers of JPG files causes Kodi to try to load the media information from every single file, and that sucks up all the free memory. Once the free memory falls below ~30Mb, Kodi crashes. There used to be an option in settings to stop Kodi from trying to load media information such as EXIF information from pictures. That option seems to be gone now, which is why it seems to be doing it by default now. You can still stop it from generating thumbnails, but that's not enough. Scraping large directories of pictures still gobbles up way too much memory and crashes Kodi. There needs to be a way to stop it from scraping those directories for media information again. I think I will be downgrading to the previous version, where the slideshow still worked. I sincerely hope the Kodi team repairs this problem soon.
Yeah that's what I did. I spent my life peaking and poking at memory and all that stuff. Don't have any patience for it now so I just reverted to Isengard. Thanks for contributing to the thread. Hopefully the developers will find it useful.

Was interested in your running it on a Raspberry Pi. That's pretty neat. Maybe if my Minix gives out, I'll give that a shot.
I don't know about you, but I had no problem with this functionality on previous versions of OSMC/Kodi. Therefore the solution is dirt simple: go back to the way previous versions of Kodi handled large directories. The problem is obviously something the developers “improved upon” very recently, that broke something that wasn't broken before, and turned what was supposed to be an upgrade into a most disappointing downgrade. Since it worked correctly before, all they need to do is recompile the relevant modules with the old, working code, and push down a patch onto our boxes. Bam, problem solved.
Me too. No problem with 14 or 15. XMBC wasn't so hot but was still better than Jarvis!
Am I right in thinking this isn't fixed? Having the same problem.
www: deadendthrills.com
follow on twitter for updates, etc: @deadendthrills
Pretty sure this was fixed.
Actually not so sure, thought I'd seen a pr to do with this but can't find anything at the moment.
Ah I think this was it https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9796
(2017-06-12, 20:42)jjd-uk Wrote: Ah I think this was it https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9796

It's a "sort-of" fix.
You can now open a folder with several times as many jpegs before running out of memory compared to before that fix.

But still you have the limitation that kodi will process every jpeg in a folder before displaying the first.
With enough photos in a single directory you will crash kodi on any platform. It will also be slow.

Ideally kodi would just load the information for the photos that are required to display the current screen
and only load more as required (e.g. when scrolling). But that is not how kodi is designed.
Is there a chance this might get changed? From what I see here folders with 1300+ pictures will kill Kodi on a dedicated Linux client (intel nuc i5 with 8GB), even if the pictures have been resized down to 1080p levels compared to their original size from the camera.
AMD Ryzen 5 2700 | Asus ROG Strix B350 ITX | Geforce RTX 2060 
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS | Kernel 6.1 | Nvidia blob drivers | Kodi v20
Resurrecting a very old thread, because I am having the exact same issue, trying to setup a slideshow with over 4000 photos, in a randomized fashion.  The problem is especially severe with lower RAM Raspberry Pi's like the 3A+, better with the 3B+ and the 4B.  Is there any solution or even a work around?  What is the limit?  Thanks for any help.
My apologies for the bump, but wanted to know if one of the solutions would be to split up the photos/videos across multiple sub-folders, and have the recursive slide show operate at the top level.  The other question I had was whether the media information could be stored on the SD card when Kodi starts rather than use up valuable RAM space.  Any suggestions and expert advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes with very large Number of jpg images0