Kodi freezes at DVBlink backup
Take the following scenario:

Watching a channel on TV. From the DVBlink management web interface (on an other PC) issue a backup command. At that moment Kodi freezes. I cancel the download of the backup, but Kodi does not resume. It does not respond to any remote or keyboard command. The only thing that works is CTRL-ALT-DEL. Starting the task manager from there gives a black screen with a task bar. No visible mouse pointer, no task manager window.

So what can you do? I couldn't think of anything else but restart the PC.

It seems to that there is something wrong with the communication between DVBlink and Kodi. If DVBlink backup needs exclusive control than I think it would be a good idea to add a confirmation request to the user interface before the actual backup operation starts.

But on the other hand, Kodi does not react nicely on DVBlink freezing up. At least, I assume that that is what happens, from Kodi's point of view.

I will post this both on the DVBlogic forum and the Kodi forum.
The Kodi log file has grown to 41 MB so it it not useful to upload it.

Bart Zorn
Kodi 20.2 runs on a Celeron N5095 with 8 GB memory, Windows 11 Pro 22H2.

DVBviewer 7.2.4.0 with DMS 3.2.4.0 | Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 dual DVB-S2 tuner with CI
Windows 10 Pro x64 with all updates | Core i3 CPU, 16 GB memory
I think, creating a backup of the DVBLogic settings is not a daily business or?
What I want to say: If you know this issue, create a backup while no one is watching TV.
Kodi 15.2 @ Android TV (Nvidia Shield)
PVR Backend: DVBLink/ DVBLogic with DigitalDevices 2xDVB-S & 2xDVB-C,CI DeltaCamTwin @ UM02 & HD02
Media Backend: EMBY
No it is not a daily business. But nevertheless, I think there is something wrong, which may interest developers.

DVBviewer 7.2.4.0 with DMS 3.2.4.0 | Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 dual DVB-S2 tuner with CI
In this scenario i would try and start a rdp session and kill the kodi proces. Good chance the image returns.

I think this issue is interesting, because i am experiencing similar issues (kodi locking up while playing after some kind of network operation, in my case a yatse notification plugin).
It surely seems like kodi is not handling something very well and only recovers with a restart.

As i am also using dvblink (5.5) as a backend i will try and reproduce your scenario and report back.
Just tested. No freeze, but the operation on the receiving end is aborted.
Message is 'unrecoverable error in the server'. Operation timed out.'
This might be something different like wifi acting up. Will try again later.
In my case, my backup went to a local disk on the HTPC, so no network involved.

OK, misunderstood that.
Will see if the same happens here, anyway just out of curiosity ..
I recently had problems, where I can crash the DVB server from remote. I told it to the devs of DVBLogic with all logs, nothing happened. They have just told me, to update my clients. But anyway: A client should never be able to crash a server. So what is the logic out of these: I assume there are at least some security holes in dvb link service. If it is possible to crash a service from remote, it may also be possible to run a buffer-overflow and execute injected software.

From what I have learned in all the last years with DVB logic Server: I would never install it on a system with secure data. I do not trust the server to be stable and secure enough.

Just my 2 Cents....
PVR Backend: DVBLink/ DVBLogic with DigitalDevices 2xDVB-S & 2xDVB-C,CI DeltaCamTwin @ UM02 & HD02
In my experience the dvblogic team usually first points at other parties ( see the flawed dvblink addon for Jarvis)/
That's really a shame, and while i agree with you on this, in my opinion stability is certainly not an issue with dvblink server. Security very well might be..
Just for the record, the issue is reproducable every time. Waddayaknow.. Undecided
Post the logs at DVBLink forum and see what happens.

But let me guess... "Nothing". Undecided
(2016-03-02, 09:35)datranquil Wrote: Post the logs at DVBLink forum and see what happens.

But let me guess... "Nothing". Undecided
I have posted about matters that are, imo, more urgent like regressions in functionality. The pointing fingers started and i don't expect a solution for those anymore for the Jarvis branch. Let alone this one. But good catch @BartZorn...;-)
Thanks for the kudo.

Not a follow up to this thread, but just to let you know:

I have now configured enough of the MediaPortal TV server to be able to test Kodi with it. Seeking in the time shift buffer seems much better than with DVBlink. Reason to suspect DVBlink's position with respect to this problem.

My other two main problems: Kodi freezes and video pixelation both seem to occur with MediaPortal as well, but I need to do more testing.

I have also configured Argus TV, but it will not run with Kodi (yet). I have reported this at the Argus TV forum.

Interesting times!

Bart

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes at DVBlink backup0