Intel Compute Stick (Cherry Trail - Released 2016)
I was hasty in my assumption that this device would be supported. I will be attempting to reinstall Windows 10 at some point and maybe even return it. Such a shame as it otherwise seems very capable and does exactly what i need.

Would the Core M5 version be any different?
Have you done any additional testing on Win10?
I ran into the same issue. I'm going to try and load the chromebox intel build, as was suggested, later tonight maybe.
Works with the suggestion about using the intel build... however, even before i enabled bluetooth, the audio output is greyed out with the following value: "Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO). So i figured what the heck, at least the audio output screen works... so i enabled bluetooth, fired up my bluetooth headset and now i got sound.

Wonder why its not picking up the HDMI audio channel?
Think i got it... i loaded it onto a microsd card via a usb hub. I think pulse bluetooth is my bluetooth adapter for my mouse. Gonna load this build directly on the internal storage... pretty sure it will fix it.
(2016-03-17, 05:29)mayn4rd Wrote: Works with the suggestion about using the intel build... however, even before i enabled bluetooth, the audio output is greyed out with the following value: "Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO). So i figured what the heck, at least the audio output screen works... so i enabled bluetooth, fired up my bluetooth headset and now i got sound.

Wonder why its not picking up the HDMI audio channel?

Intel don't fully support Linux on the Cherry Trail and Bay Trail tablet SoC platforms it appears (and compute sticks use the tablet SoCs). Their drivers aren't mainlined for HDMI audio ISTR - and so they support a forked version of Ubuntu only? ISTR that there were issues with Bay Trail tablet devices and Linux HDMI audio support. Linuxium (aka Ian Morrison) who posts on Google+ has done some work - but also posts about using USB sound devices too...
Also - the M3 Compute Stick is in the wild and DOES have HDMI Audio support in Ubuntu : http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/0...w64cc.html
(2016-03-17, 11:48)noggin Wrote: Also - the M3 Compute Stick is in the wild and DOES have HDMI Audio support in Ubuntu : http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/0...w64cc.html

has anyone verified HD audio working or not via Windows on the cherry trail devices?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-03-17, 05:02)mayn4rd Wrote: I ran into the same issue. I'm going to try and load the chromebox intel build, as was suggested, later tonight maybe.

So no audio at all with windows 10 or only no HD audio?

Does anyone know if this is a chip problem? I was planning to get one of the 4GB devices (Meegopad t07 or PIPO X6s) and I need to have windows on it for different uses other than kodi, so if no audio at all then it is a no go.
(2016-03-17, 16:03)melhemk Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 05:02)mayn4rd Wrote: I ran into the same issue. I'm going to try and load the chromebox intel build, as was suggested, later tonight maybe.

So no audio at all with windows 10 or only no HD audio?

Does anyone know if this is a chip problem? I was planning to get one of the 4GB devices (Meegopad t07 or PIPO X6s) and I need to have windows on it for different uses other than kodi, so if no audio at all then it is a no go.

the only thing i read as confirmed is no audio in OpenElec.. i cant imagine they would sell something like the compute stick with windows10 pre installed and have no support for audio.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
(2016-03-17, 16:11)dukester Wrote: the only thing i read as confirmed is no audio in OpenElec.. i cant imagine they would sell something like the compute stick with windows10 pre installed and have no support for audio.

That was my assumption until I saw his comment saying he ran into the same problem as with openelec, his problem with openelec is no sound at all.
And also, probably there is sound on windows 10 but kodi can´t use the driver (?) therefore no sound on kodi, which would make it a no go too.
(2016-03-17, 14:57)dukester Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 11:48)noggin Wrote: Also - the M3 Compute Stick is in the wild and DOES have HDMI Audio support in Ubuntu : http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/0...w64cc.html

has anyone verified HD audio working or not via Windows on the cherry trail devices?

OOB the WIN10 version uses HDMI audio and it worked fine. I originally loaded kodi on it and it worked okay with a few crashes, but that was related to OS pop-ups. I didn't spend much time with it though either. Sound worked in kodi then, but with just the openelec the audio stopped work.

I'll try some of the suggestions and research more later this weekend.

Thanks for all the help.
(2016-03-17, 16:29)mayn4rd Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 14:57)dukester Wrote:

OOB the WIN10 version uses HDMI audio and it worked fine. I originally loaded kodi on it and it worked okay with a few crashes, but that was related to OS pop-ups. I didn't spend much time with it though either. Sound worked in kodi then, but with just the openelec the audio stopped work.

Thanks for all the help.

by works fine, did you mean yes it supports 7.1 HD audio passthrough(TrueHD,DTS-HD,ATMOS) in windows/KODI?
If it is like the Bay Trail equivalent then expect PCM 5.1/7.1 and DD/DD+/DTS but not DTS HD or Dolby True HD bitstreaming in Windows. (That is what my Bay Trail Z-series tablet does in Win 10)

5.1/7.1PCM with new builds of Kodi will give you lossless decode to PCM for True HD and DTS HD (not bitstreamed but identical quality if you don't need metadata-based processing) - as also used to implement Lossless HD Audio on Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 builds. (The Pi also supports 5.1/7.1 PCM)
(2016-03-17, 16:32)dukester Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 16:29)mayn4rd Wrote:
(2016-03-17, 14:57)dukester Wrote: has anyone verified HD audio working or not via Windows on the cherry trail devices?

Thanks for all the help.

by works fine, did you mean yes it supports 7.1 HD audio passthrough(TrueHD,DTS-HD,ATMOS) in windows/KODI?

I'm not really great with audio stuff and I don't have a big surround sound setup in my office (where I was planning on using this Kodi device), so when I initially loaded Kodi as an app (not the OPENELEC OS), I was just happy with benchmarking performance - noting no lag on browsing through menus, and seeing if I ran into buffering (I did not). But I just know that I had sound at that time.

Only when trying to bypass the WIN10 OS and loading OPENELEC, did the sound issue occur. Using the latest generic build go the issue where it would freeze when trying to go to the audio output on the menu - like the other guy said. Loading the Chromebox intel build, as suggested, allows me to see the audio output menu, but it's greyed out with that PULSE device.

That's still where I'm at now and probably will be until later this weekend when I can try some different things - I think, like some of the others are saying, it's going to be a hastle to correct the issue - but I'll PuTTy into it probably Sunday and try to figure out what's going on. Thanks so far guys. I know I'm new to the forum, but I've been using Kodi for a while now.... glad to be apart of the community.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Compute Stick (Cherry Trail - Released 2016)0