Kodi 16.0 Limited Color Range plus DXVA2 = levels expansion plus compression
In Kodi 16.0 DXVA2 mode, when viewing AVS HD 709 Black and White Clipping patterns, BTB and WTW are lost when "Use limited color range" is selected, and banding is evident in gradients. Disabling DXVA2 fixes it, while the Rendering Method choice has no effect. There is no difference between full-screen and windowed mode. This was never an issue in versions prior to Jarvis that implemented the feature. My video card is Nvidia GT640, and my driver version is 361.91. The card is configured to output RGB 0-255, and video settings are "With the video player settings". The OS is Windows 8.1 x64.

It appears that Jarvis is expanding (or instructing the card to expand) video to RGB 0-255 and then compressing to 16-235, when it should be simple passthrough. Indeed, when I look at pixel values in screenshots for Black Clipping, I see 16 for the background and all bars < 17, and when I look at White Clipping, I see 235 for the background and all bars > 234. This was not what happened with earlier versions, where for Black Clipping, I saw 1 for the background, and the bars < 17 contained the same pixel values as their labels, and for White Clipping, I saw 253 for the background, and the bars > 234 contained the same pixel values as their labels.

Thus, I'm back to Kodi 15.2, where everything was perfect and consistent with WMC and my standalone BD player as measured by my i1D3 in Calman.
(2016-02-24, 23:59)crawfish Wrote: In Kodi 16.0 DXVA2 mode, when viewing AVS HD 709 Black and White Clipping patterns, BTB and WTW are lost when "Use limited color range" is selected, and banding is evident in gradients. Disabling DXVA2 fixes it, while the Rendering Method choice has no effect. There is no difference between full-screen and windowed mode. This was never an issue in versions prior to Jarvis that implemented the feature. My video card is Nvidia GT640, and my driver version is 361.91. The card is configured to output RGB 0-255, and video settings are "With the video player settings". The OS is Windows 8.1 x64.

It appears that Jarvis is expanding (or instructing the card to expand) video to RGB 0-255 and then compressing to 16-235, when it should be simple passthrough. Indeed, when I look at pixel values in screenshots for Black Clipping, I see 16 for the background and all bars < 17, and when I look at White Clipping, I see 235 for the background and all bars > 234. This was not what happened with earlier versions, where for Black Clipping, I saw 1 for the background, and the bars < 17 contained the same pixel values as their labels, and for White Clipping, I saw 253 for the background, and the bars > 234 contained the same pixel values as their labels.

Thus, I'm back to Kodi 15.2, where everything was perfect and consistent with WMC and my standalone BD player as measured by my i1D3 in Calman.

This could be due to the upgrade to Direct3D 11. It could also be due to driver issues.

I use madVR and using the settings mentioned also leads to incorrect levels. I am using a similar driver version with a GTS 450. Of course, madVR is its own video renderer, so there is a chance this has nothing to do with Kodi.
Mine is a very vanilla system, no madVR, no codec packs, no nothing. WMC is still fine with the driver specified, but I suppose it's not using Direct3D 11, either.
See the dx11 thread....a lot of back and forth on this.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Thanks, I checked it out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 16.0 Limited Color Range plus DXVA2 = levels expansion plus compression0