Raspberry Pi 3 Model B launched - upgraded CPU and integrated WiFi and Bluetooth
Thanks. I see 2.5A 5V PSU now, but assuming same case as Pi2 will fit Pi3.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I saw the 2.5A recommended too...however that is based on if you plan on using a 3 or 4 of the USB ports at a time. I usually stream my stuff from the NAS so going to test before buying a new power supply.
The power usage has indeed increased quite a lot, will be interesting to see if it runs ok from, for example TV usb sockets.

It still isn't possible to watch Netflix on a Rpi, right?
(2016-02-29, 14:25)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks. I see 2.5A 5V PSU now, but assuming same case as Pi2 will fit Pi3.

Yes - though cases with light ports/pipes will not work well as the activity LEDs have moved to make way for the WiFi/BT antenna, and the uSD Card slot is no not spring loaded (apparently the spring failing was one of the most common hardware failures on the uSD Pis) so you may struggle to remove it in some designs. Pimoroni have redesigned their case to account for this.

Also the new Pi 3 runs hotter, so ventilation may now need to be considered.
(2016-02-29, 11:32)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 10:40)looun Wrote: we can hope that this version supports Audio HD passthrough?
No mention - and it's the same VideoCore IV GPU (though clocked faster). Wouldn't expect upgraded HDMI audio with HD bitstreaming (just as we didn't get it with the Pi 2)

But given that we already have lossless decode for most audio - the only thing we are really missing out on is Atmos/DTS:x and the handful of 192kHz 5.1 movies.

Is there any DTS-HD audio decoder? I'm asking, because last i checked, which was indeed some time ago, there was only a TrueHD decoder, no DTS-HD , where only the core DTS track got decoded. And since DTS-HD is more prelevant on disks than Dolby THD, it's kinda important.
(2016-02-29, 15:29)Sando Wrote: It still isn't possible to watch Netflix on a Rpi, right?

actually, you can.

http://mymediaexperience.com/integrate-n...into-xbmc/

this is semi-great news, semi- meaning that I just got my Pi2 on Friday...Tongue Loving this little box.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2016-02-29, 17:31)Soulbind Wrote: Is there any DTS-HD audio decoder? I'm asking, because last i checked, which was indeed some time ago, there was only a TrueHD decoder, no DTS-HD , where only the core DTS track got decoded. And since DTS-HD is more prelevant on disks than Dolby THD, it's kinda important.
Yes, there is an open source DTS-HD decoder now. I don't know which particular Kodi builds it has found it's way into though.
kodi starting with v16 has it out of the box.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Question when I purchased my Pi-2's they came from Element 14 made in China ! I thought they where made in the UK............. Not a big fan or should I say NO FAN AT ALL in supporting Chinese. Talk about the worlds largest pirates in stealing Intellectual rights !
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Updated first post with references to booting from USB (no need for uSD card) and PXE network boot. Two very useful developments, particularly in classrooms.
(2016-02-29, 19:25)Rickt1962 Wrote: Question when I purchased my Pi-2's they came from Element 14 made in China ! I thought they where made in the UK............. Not a big fan or should I say NO FAN AT ALL in supporting Chinese. Talk about the worlds largest pirates in stealing Intellectual rights !

Most units sold in Europe are made by Sony in Wales, but those sold the other side of the world may be made in China (reducing shipping which is presumably cheaper and greener). Element 14 are able to source their stock as they wish though. From memory the first Pi Bs were effectively licensed for suppliers to manufacture?
(2016-02-29, 17:31)Soulbind Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 11:32)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 10:40)looun Wrote: we can hope that this version supports Audio HD passthrough?
No mention - and it's the same VideoCore IV GPU (though clocked faster). Wouldn't expect upgraded HDMI audio with HD bitstreaming (just as we didn't get it with the Pi 2)

But given that we already have lossless decode for most audio - the only thing we are really missing out on is Atmos/DTS:x and the handful of 192kHz 5.1 movies.

Is there any DTS-HD audio decoder? I'm asking, because last i checked, which was indeed some time ago, there was only a TrueHD decoder, no DTS-HD , where only the core DTS track got decoded. And since DTS-HD is more prelevant on disks than Dolby THD, it's kinda important.

Lossless decoding of DTS HD MA arrived on the Pi 2 before most other platforms, but is now in mainline builds.
(2016-02-29, 17:35)christoofar Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 15:29)Sando Wrote: It still isn't possible to watch Netflix on a Rpi, right?

actually, you can.

this is semi-great news, semi- meaning that I just got my Pi2 on Friday...Tongue Loving this little box.

That is not the same as being able to watch Netflix. Recording and rewatching is not what I'm looking for in 2016.
(2016-02-29, 20:18)Sando Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 17:35)christoofar Wrote:

actually, you can.

That is not the same as being able to watch Netflix. Recording and rewatching is not what I'm looking for in 2016.
Looks like you really didn't read it all...the *very first* thing you see on that link is "stream AND Record Netflix"

Stream Online Videos with PlayOn

PlayOn uses UPnP standard to serve videos to UPnP compliant devices such as networked gaming consoles and TVs.

As the Kodi Media Center supports UPnP standard, you can serve media files with PlayOn Media Server even to Linux-based HTPCs or Raspberry Pis.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B launched - upgraded CPU and integrated WiFi and Bluetooth0