Raspberry Pi 3 Model B launched - upgraded CPU and integrated WiFi and Bluetooth
(2016-03-02, 20:52)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2016-03-02, 14:31)noggin Wrote:
(2016-03-02, 13:29)smallclone Wrote: What dist of Kodi are you guys using? I'm having no luck at all with openelc or OSMc from noobs. It just gives a black screen. Rasbpian is fine though.

Totally puzzled.

I downloaded an OpenElec 6.0.2 disk image from here : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec and burned it to a uSD card on my Mac. Boots and works fine. There is a new version of NOOBs for the Pi 3 - but it may not have all OS images updated?

Great !!! Well dam it man get that stop watch out ! LOL We all want to know how blistering fast the boot is ?Nod

As already documented by Pimoroni - boot time not much altered.

However the GUI is definitely noticeably more fluid, the whole OpenElec experience feels a bit tighter, as though the GUI is being rendered at a higher frame rate.
Openelec worked fine. This is a pretty phenomenal Kodi device for the price now.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2016-03-02, 20:59)noggin Wrote: As already documented by Pimoroni - boot time not much altered.

Since boot is most likely IO-bound, you can overclock the sdhost bus to recapture more of your SD card's native performance. Adding dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50=100 to my config.txt nearly doubled my sequential read speeds (and boosted random read by ~25%). My Pi is on 24/7 so I haven't taken the effort to compare boot times, but this should improve performance for all Pi models.

The Pi 3 uses the SD bus for WiFi as well, so overclocking might kill two birds with one stone.

Quote:However the GUI is definitely noticeably more fluid, the whole OpenElec experience feels a bit tighter, as though the GUI is being rendered at a higher frame rate.

With overclocking and 1080p fanart, I'd rate the GUI speed of the Pi 2B at 7.5/10 (with 10 being fluid 60fps). It is good enough, but not perfect. If the new SOC and a faster SD card gets me any closer, I think the Pi 3 is the end of the road for me.
(2016-03-02, 20:59)noggin Wrote:
(2016-03-02, 20:52)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2016-03-02, 14:31)noggin Wrote: I downloaded an OpenElec 6.0.2 disk image from here : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec and burned it to a uSD card on my Mac. Boots and works fine. There is a new version of NOOBs for the Pi 3 - but it may not have all OS images updated?

Great !!! Well dam it man get that stop watch out ! LOL We all want to know how blistering fast the boot is ?Nod

As already documented by Pimoroni - boot time not much altered.

However the GUI is definitely noticeably more fluid, the whole OpenElec experience feels a bit tighter, as though the GUI is being rendered at a higher frame rate.

Sad wow that's what I didn't want to hear...... going from 32 to 64 ......ouch. Well hopefully in time they will utilize the 64 bit side of the structure.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Openelec 6.0.x playing 1080p video in BG and fps set to "unlimited" and the UI is super fluid, same speed as without video playback.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2016-03-01, 01:19)PantsOnFire Wrote: Anyone tried it with heavy skins yet like Aeon or Xperience?
Hi, same question here.
I'd like to use titan skin, but too heavy for the rpi2
What kit is the best to buy?

There are heaps availabe to from http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/en...spberry-pi.

Just to watch live tv on kodi, something that is also future proof.

Thanks
I thought the Pi3 was the same price as the Pi2? All I see online at the moment is $59, perhaps it is better to wait until the "early adopter markup" pricing settles down a bit...
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
Yep, not widely available yet, so resellers are either selling boards only at higher prices or luring us to bundles for more money.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
So the Pi3 can boot from USB stick now?

Wonder if it would be better to run OE that way speed wise
rather then on a Micro SD card....
Just FYI, the RPi3 is back in stock at MCM http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-17300
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-03-10, 10:16)eskro Wrote: So the Pi3 can boot from USB stick now?

Where did you read that?
(2016-03-12, 00:28)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-03-10, 10:16)eskro Wrote: So the Pi3 can boot from USB stick now?

Where did you read that?

Was one of the Pi Foundation announcements. They have rewritten the VC4 boot loader so that it supports USB and PXE (I think) network booting as well as uSD card.
Thanks. That nugget passed me by entirely.
A bit here about it.
Can someone please test how fluent the GUI is, while watching 1080i h.264 live tv with best deinterlacing option?
How many frames is it doing in this case? As far as I understood the best deinterlacing option is not done completely in hardware...if someone could give that information it would be great.

Regards
Vlaves

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B launched - upgraded CPU and integrated WiFi and Bluetooth0