Best Practice - tvheadend server vs. Vu+
(2016-03-01, 16:29)tenchumaster Wrote: Awesome! That all makes totally sense! Good that you described it so much.

There was one question left, which is: The major benefit of using the "modified" firmware of the SAT/IP device (Digibit R1 Sat). I read that the custom firmware is more stable and supports some CAM features. Even if you really want to use that kind of stuff (which of course is not allowed), you could do that with TV Headend as well...

For me it seems, that the even better solution is to make use of a special LNB (which supports SAT/IP) instead of having a seperate device or? There are different "servers" out there (http://www.satip.info/products/sat%3Eip%20servers), is there a special reason you have taken the Digibit R1 Sat?

Thanks again for the valuable input!

There have been issues with the SAT>IP LNBs crashing and possibly overheating I hear. I'd check out the TV Headend forums for more advice. That said some of the SAT>IP servers also crash a bit. That may be why one of the earlier posters is using custom firmware.

As for Conditional Access - it's tricky to discuss that. What is legal in one area is not in another.
Much had been said by noggin. In addition I'd argue by convenience:

The Inverto IP-LNB is a POE device. So to bring 8 tuners from the outside to the inside, I need only a single flat ethernet cable like this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001TJ1G...ge_o02_s00 which easily fits between window and frame (as compared to 4 coax cables for 4 tuners of a quad lnb).

With that IP-LNB I had great success - like recording over 30 channels simultaneously ( https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/13486?r=13528 ) - but also great hiccups of this device stalling frequently. However, with regular use and no stress testing it is currently running for over 14 weeks without any problem (perhaps because it is cold outside ?)

On my knowledge the Inverto 8-tuner IP-LNB is the only IP-LNB being offered, meaning the LNB plus the whole electronics sits at the antenne as part of the LNB. Unfortunately, this device is longer avialable and I have no news of a replacement coming. Does anyone know of other IP-LNBs?

The alternative is e.g. a regular quad LNB plus a SAT>IP Server. All those servers on this page http://www.satip.info/products/sat%3Eip%20servers require being fed by coax cable from a regular LNB. That SAT>IP server sits inside the house (like in the attic near the antenna) and must also be connected to your in-house LAN.

Of course, from here on every device like smartphone, tablet or tv, which can act as a SAT>IP client, can directly take the SAT>IP signal from the network, via LAN or WLAN. Software like TVHEADEND is NOT needed! But then you can't do central recording, and you miss the pause option for live tv. And also, you get all the junk channels (sex, shopping,...) which you could otherwise weed out with your central tvheadend configuration and be done for all devices - a GREAT advantage!

Not sure if you can do pay-tv channels; it is not possible in my setup. But as SAT>IP is making inroads, I expect that sooner or later it will also work.
(2016-03-01, 19:00)ullix Wrote: On my knowledge the Inverto 8-tuner IP-LNB is the only IP-LNB being offered, meaning the LNB plus the whole electronics sits at the antenne as part of the LNB. Unfortunately, this device is longer avialable and I have no news of a replacement coming. Does anyone know of other IP-LNBs?
Wonder if they couldn't get it to work reliably so discontinued it?
Quote:Not sure if you can do pay-tv channels; it is not possible in my setup. But as SAT>IP is making inroads, I expect that sooner or later it will also work.

Pay-TV Channels work fine with SAT>IP tuners, just as they do with regular DVB-S2 USB and PCI-E solutions - but you need the right set-up to handle the decryption. And that can't be discussed here.
Not a lot to add anymore, really:
* Indeed, perexg's custom firmware significantly improves stability and options to configure the device. I'm in it for stability.
* I have chosen the Digibit R1 because it was the cheapest of all the co-marketed models with identical hardware (Inverto IDL-400s = Grundig GSS.BOX = Telestar Digibit R1). I would definitely not recommend purchasing a different SAT>IP server if you want one. Perexg's firmware works on all of them.
* If you want to build your own server and avoid the SAT>IP server, please do NOT use USB tuners, but go for internal PCIe cards. I'm reading the #hts IRC channel regularly and those cards seem more stable if(!!!) they have good drivers. Therefore, my final recommendation:
* If you are planning a TVH-based setup, one way or the other, getting on #hts is generally a very good idea before(!) purchasing anything. You might not always get an answer immediately, but the guys there know their stuff... ;-)
(2016-03-01, 21:49)M4tt0 Wrote: Not a lot to add anymore, really:
* Indeed, perexg's custom firmware significantly improves stability and options to configure the device. I'm in it for stability.
* I have chosen the Digibit R1 because it was the cheapest of all the co-marketed models with identical hardware (Inverto IDL-400s = Grundig GSS.BOX = Telestar Digibit R1). I would definitely not recommend purchasing a different SAT>IP server if you want one. Perexg's firmware works on all of them.
* If you want to build your own server and avoid the SAT>IP server, please do NOT use USB tuners, but go for internal PCIe cards. I'm reading the #hts IRC channel regularly and those cards seem more stable if(!!!) they have good drivers. Therefore, my final recommendation:
* If you are planning a TVH-based setup, one way or the other, getting on #hts is generally a very good idea before(!) purchasing anything. You might not always get an answer immediately, but the guys there know their stuff... ;-)

Yes - always worth checking hardware with the HTS guys. I got an Elgato 4sat because it was on special offer, and had a few issues initially getting it to work with TV Headend (TVH now supports it) - but would take your recommendation. My Elgato doesn't see heavy service.
I'm also running a SAT>IP (with perexg's firmware) + TVHeadend setup and it's fantastic.

After using TBS cards for a few years, and generally being ok with performance the move to SAT>IP was a big leap in stability.

No driver issues, no kernel issues, and most of all very good value. Not sure where you'd find a 4 tuner device for the price of a SAT>IP server.

I'm running a mixed 28.2 and 19.2 satellite setup and it really is flawless. It's as close as I've ever been to an it "just works" setup.
Hi all, I have bought recently the Digibit R1, could someone tell me if I can use my rotor (diseqc 1.2) trough tvheadend?

thanks in advance,
Jefken.
I use DVB-S2 PCI-E card as tuner with Ubuntu and TVH and have been stable 24/7 for >5 years.My card is Digital Device Cine S2 V6.
Digital Device cards are great with Linux. I learn that the new TBS should also be good.
If you are going to have a server rack than i recommend to use PCI-E tuner, proven stability ...
I have ESXI server with 4 VMs and the DD Cine S2 V6 tuner is in pass-through to Ubuntu machine.
I am also on the lookout for a SAT>IP device but am getting bogged down with all the various models out there.

There also seems to be a lot to suggest that some models are identical but for the outer casing and many websites seem inconsistent in terms of specs (e.g. Ethernet port speeds, power consumption etc.). It is also a bit tricky to compare some as my German is pretty poor.

Ultimately, is there a bit of a consensus on which one to get?

(2016-12-18, 11:46)Jefken Wrote: Hi all, I have bought recently the Digibit R1, could someone tell me if I can use my rotor (diseqc 1.2) trough tvheadend?

thanks in advance,
Jefken.

I would also be interested in connecting one of the tuners to a motorised dish at some point in the future. Do any of the SAT>IP tuners support DIsEqC2.1 or USALS?
Just a heads-up for ppl who are completely new to this and stumble upon this thread wondering what's the best solution. Nowadays there are "FBC" tuners which allow you to handle 8 transport steams simultaneously. So if you buy a single Vu+ Ultimo 4K and wire it up to a cable (DVB-C) and a pair of Unicable LNB's (DVB-S2(X)) you're all set. No need for ridiculous over-complex solutions involving multiple STB's or TVHeadend servers.

You can simultaneously stream (whichever channel you'd like) to any device in your household. You can hookup the STB to you main TV in the living room or just put it away in the attic without the HDMI interface connected, it's your choice. Smile
(2018-01-16, 20:34)boolean Wrote: Just a heads-up for ppl who are completely new to this and stumble upon this thread wondering what's the best solution. Nowadays there are "FBC" tuners which allow you to handle 8 transport steams simultaneously. So if you buy a single Vu+ Ultimo 4K and wire it up to a cable (DVB-C) and a pair of Unicable LNB's (DVB-S2(X)) you're all set. No need for ridiculous over-complex solutions involving multiple STB's or TVHeadend servers.

You can simultaneously stream (whichever channel you'd like) to any device in your household. You can hookup the STB to you main TV in the living room or just put it away in the attic without the HDMI interface connected, it's your choice. Smile

Unicable and Unicable 2 LNBs also make life a lot simpler.  Single coax cable from a Unicable LNB to a suitable multi-tuner receiver and you can tune multiple transponders simultaneously.  You can also do dual satellite set-ups this way quite neatly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Practice - tvheadend server vs. Vu+0