Problems with Albumartist and mbid tags (Why is Kodi so unpredictable....)
I am NOT running the QNAP Kodi Package (which, by the way is named HD Player)
I am running the open source Kodi version 15.2.1 downloaded from the Kodi repository
splitting the thread - since this is a different issue
bry- or other mods, could posts #1 to #4 be transfered back to the original thread that they relate to please.

I would like to get the OP tag and scanning issues sorted out and #1 to #4 related to that. Cheers
(2016-03-02, 19:33)DaveBlake Wrote: bry- or other mods, could posts #1 to #4 be transfered back to the original thread that they relate to please.

I would like to get the OP tag and scanning issues sorted out and #1 to #4 related to that. Cheers

done
Thread all back togther? Confused, I am Smile

@oyvindo just wondering if you have found the genre, artist and album nodes yet? Is the library looking more reasonable to you now and Kodi less unpredictable?

You may want to consider disabling the (IMO wrongly named) "Include artists who only on compilations" option. Kodi creates artists for the names in both tags TPE1/ARTIST and TPE2/ALBUMARTIST. If there is no TPE2 tag but all the songs for an album have the same TPE1 that is also taken as the album artist. Within a tag Kodi can only identify separate names if the item separator (space slash space) is used, otherwise you will end up with an artist list with some odd names in it. Some people avoid that issue, or even the clutter of every artist being listed, by disabling the above option and only seeing album artists.

It would be better if that option was called "album artists only" as that is what it does. The treatment of compliatons in Kodi is something completely different.
@DaveBlake, I did find the path. Thanks for your guidance.
I also think I do understand the "Include artists who only appear on compilations" and its implications. Although I fail to understand why Kodi converts a multiple artists lists like "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" into "Michael Jackson/Diana Ross". In my mind should have resulted in two separate entries (?).

Anyway, what I'd like you to look into is the Addon presented here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=102772 that I mentioned earlier. If this is what I think it is, it would be a beautiful feature!

(I know we jump between various subjects here, and If I violate forum rules, please guide me on how to behave)
Quote:Although I fail to understand why Kodi converts a multiple artists lists like "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" into "Michael Jackson/Diana Ross". In my mind should have resulted in two separate entries (?).

Splitting a string into artist names using delimiters is not as trivial as some may think. Although initially the ID3 standard, slash is a poor choice as it appears in artist names e.g. AC/DC. Hence historically Kodi takes space-slash-space as its default item separator to avoid the AC/DC issue. Some tagging software will give comma as a separator, but again this is used in some artist names. Semi-colon seems a better, not in any artist names in the TheAudioDB, but we can never be sure there is no one out there. Ideally "artist1 feat. artist2", "artist1 (mix artist2)" etc. could all be parsed into separate artists, but it gets difficult to be sure you don't mess up some odd artist name.

I think it is a weakness that Kodi only allows for one item separator, but at least it results in predictable behaviour. In Isengard this is absolute, "Michael Jackson; Diana Ross" would be taken as a single artist, so would "Michael Jackson/Diana Ross", only "Michael Jackson / Diana Ross" (note the spaces) would separate artists be recognised. In Jarvis, if there are musicbrainz ids and a mis-match in name count then Kodi does attempt to use other separators to parse the matching number of names. The user can set this single separator to something else to match their tagging, but this is of limited use. Music collections often end up with a variety of separators, or people want to use what other players accept.

I would like to change Krypton onwards to parse names using multiple user configurable separators, with semi-colon and space-slash-space as defaults. If wanted a user could add " feat." to the list. Is that something music users would find an improvement?
Definitely!
The reason my (relatively large) library consistantly use semicolon is because so many other applications use this by default (MediaMonkey, Mp3Tag), and some are limited to this (Logitech Media Server).
I agree that "space/space" is ok, but to modify a library with hundreds of thousands of tracks is not trivial. Allowing such things to be user configurable, is a must. Indeed, I would say it's arrogant programming to ignore this and dictate a single rule.
But again, thanks for your understanding and solution oriented comments.

Did you get a chance to look at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=102772
oyvindo: That addon does not do what you think it does. What you are looking for is remote desktop software as discussed earlier.

Google such examples as TeamViewer or RealVNC software to understand.
Well, still I'd like to give it a try - If I only could find someone who can explain how to install it....

I would love to use TeamViewer or RealVCN if they only existed for HD station. In fact, my favorite above all the others are Chrome Remote. I use it every day for all my NAS, but it too does not exist in a version that can handle HD station until I can find a way to make HD station show in a browser.
In case it got lost in my monologue, separator is currently configurable. If all your music uses semi-colon, and only semi-colon, as the item separator then you can change the separator in advancedsettings.xml to semi-colon. No need to retag, but consistency is necessary.

That is an old thread and dead project, as far as I can see. Having Kodi UI on a client and (headless) Kodi on server is not something currently available.
Well considering that project has had no updates since 2011, I'm going to guess that it will not even work with Jarvis, since there have been 5 years of changes to XBMC/Kodi's code since then.

Can you explain what exactly you want to achieve with any of these web interfaces?
(2016-03-04, 12:18)helta Wrote: Can you explain what exactly you want to achieve with any of these web interfaces?

So that when my family is watching their favorite TV show, I do not have to make them read the newspaper instead, just because I need to do some housekeeping in Kodi...
what kind of house keeping?
(2016-03-04, 12:38)helta Wrote: what kind of house keeping?

All the things that cannot be done through any of the webinterfaces I have tried. They're all mostly simple control points to search and play library items....I'm not looking for yet another control point. I wish to be able to see the exact on-screen effect of all and any changes I make in Kodi settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with Albumartist and mbid tags (Why is Kodi so unpredictable....)0