Solved Why no RK support (Rockchip)?
Maybe I should update my experience - how it runs Android? And Kodi on Android
The Pi doesn't run Android, at least with any usability (there are KitKat and I think Lollipop ports around, but the experience is not nice).

But it doesn't need to, OE, OSMC and Raspbian are fine for their jobs unless you're pushing the envelope (4k .265 for example), at which point you're indeed better off with a more powerful box, probably using Android as the OS.

So for very many usage cases, a Pi2 or Pi3 will quite happily fulfil most users needs in this area.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
For you, it does not need Android... for me, Kodi is not enough. I like to have internet browser, maps, skype or other messengers, official YouTube etc. Only Android can turn my tv into real smart tv, way better than official smart tv from manufacturer. I really hate Android TV, regular Android is much better. Other smart tv platforms (like WebOS from lg for example) - hate them even more.

Now I'm impressed how powerful are latest Rockchip chips, especially hardware decoding capabilities - 4k dci/h265 is not any problem and price is low. From other hand, sometimes support is poor, especially (as mentioned in this thread) there are some problems with Kodi.
(2016-03-08, 13:21)giaur Wrote: I really hate Android TV, regular Android is much better. Other smart tv platforms (like WebOS from lg for example) - hate them even more.

Seriously WTF? Standard Android sucks on any regular tv screen.

Whatever you want we will NOT include hacks on android just because Rockchip thinks it knows better. End of discussion.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-03-08, 13:24)Martijn Wrote: Seriously WTF? Standard Android sucks on any regular tv screen.
Why? You only need good launcher. Why I don't like Android TV... lack of apps I want to use. I even don't have Chrome available(!), only Opera that is very poor. Also, Android TV on most tvs is very laggy (as far as I know, nvidia shield based hardware is the only exception). No root, not possible to install app from apk file etc... definitely not for me.
Perhaps to get this discussion a bit more technical again, why one should never support a one vendor only binary api: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...xbmc&num=1

I did that once and will never do it again - so I am definitely out for that task. They should bake their pizza without me :-)

Some might argue about AMLogic now. Yeah - they also use a "different API", but audio wise - this was a < 100 lines change in the default AudioTrack implementation, nothing one especially needs to maintain with a big burdon and basic stuff works without any changes. On the video side it's more "evil" though mediacodec is already supported and working okayish. But we can at least share the video codec (currently unmaintained, but rewritten by a wetek developer) with linux.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
What you need is proper remote support, for a device attached to a TV.
Otherwise, the experience ranges from cumbersome (keyboard + mouse) to nightmarishly frustrating (airmouse). Try to use ES explotrer with a remote to get what I mean...
(2016-03-08, 13:32)giaur Wrote: No root, not possible to install app from apk file etc... definitely not for me.

I don't know what you're talking about here either. The Shield ATV can be rooted, pretty easily at that, and it's no issues sideloading apps on Android TV, even without root.

Android TV doesn't come with a browser because it's made for a TV and browsers are not remote friendly. But most people that want a browser just sideload Chrome, Opera or whatever.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Specifically for RK, the worst part was that I wanted to implement the same level of support as for AML.
They just denied me the sources of their player to allow me to do so, so they actually don't want Kodi to properly support their SoC (or they're just plain stupid, or their player infringe on OS licence. +rkffplayer+ is highly suspicious name for a closed source player).

All RK stuff immediately went to the "junk" closet, and I suggest all Kodi users to do the same...
You have my full support for that :-)

+1

So let's send users to them in the future. Bye Bye RK.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-03-08, 13:56)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 13:32)giaur Wrote: No root, not possible to install app from apk file etc... definitely not for me.

I don't know what you're talking about here either. The Shield ATV can be rooted, pretty easily at that, and it's no issues sideloading apps on Android TV, even without root.

Android TV doesn't come with a browser because it's made for a TV and browsers are not remote friendly. But most people that want a browser just sideload Chrome, Opera or whatever.

Actually, my android tv experience is terrible. I don't think anything there is remote friendly. It can't be. In any case you need wireless mouse. I also mentioned shield as the only known platform where android tv runs fine. But it's not true for most, even expensive smart tvs
(2016-03-08, 12:25)giaur Wrote: But, the best thing for tv box is still Android.

You must be joking? unless you mean by that the apps Android gives you access to? from an technical & quality point of view Android still lags behind the more mature OS's such as Linux and Windows, although it is steadily catching up now there is more focus on media with the launch of AndroidTV.
Yep, it lags on poor hardware. Many cheap phones, tablets, tons of crap with Android installed. Lags as hell, and then we have opinions like above - Android = lags. Not true. It lags because it's installed on hardware that should not be used. Agree, Linux can run fine on slower hardware, but so what? Powerful tv box with android installed is still the best choice and freedom. Linux desktop is totally useless on tv. Windows is barely usable.
You misunderstood, by lags I meant the API's available for media apps are not as good as those available for other OS's, so quality of media playback is not going to be on par with what can be done on Linux for example.

So if you have a box you want dedicated to media playback and you are after the best quality then something Linux based is always going to be best, where Android is great and comes into it's own is the sheer easy of use and the app ecosystem, however the trade off is that for now you'll have to accept that media playback quality will be compromised compared to what can be achieved on other OS's, although this is getting better with each new Android version so the gap is slowly closing.
Just updated to 16.1 Jarvis. No video - black screen. Deleted all data - black screen. Uninstalled, installed 16.0 - no video, black screen.

Reboot system, reinstall 16.0 - all is ok.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no RK support (Rockchip)?1