Solved Why no RK support (Rockchip)?
Why dont you pay team kodi to write the code for you?
(2016-03-12, 00:57)Derek Wrote: Why dont you pay team kodi to write the code for you?

This is really stupid!

play.google.com stats on KODI:
Quote:ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Updated
April 24, 2016

Installs
5,000,000 - 10,000,000

Requires Android
4.2 and up

and on SPMC:
Quote:Updated
May 6, 2016

Installs
10,000 - 50,000 (+ 100,000 - 500,000 on old SPMC)

Requires Android
4.2 and up

the members list of FreakTab's RockChip is about 80K+, that is 80K+ users with some technical knowledge and the list is growing.

...and you want to tell me that Android on KODI is dead? I think not! Additional on this, when (and I am saying WHEN not IF) KODI developers finally wake up to the fact that they are loosing the largest based market for XBMC code, it might just be a little bit too late...

just my 10c
We are already awake, we don't care 10c about rockchip or those users. We care for the support burden we as team have to carry.

FYI v17 will be a minimum of Android 5.0

Fact is that rockchip should start caring for their users/buyers cause they are THEIR market. With that they should start providing good firmware and make sure older devices also get new Android version.
Besides in last thread you also starting rambling about rockchip so I insist you don't start again. Go bitch at rockchip to give basic android support and upgrades.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-05-13, 11:04)Martijn Wrote: We are already awake, we don't care 10c about rockchip or those users. We care for the support burden we as team have to carry.

Fact is that rockchip should start caring for their users/buyers cause they are THEIR market. With that they should start providing good firmware and make sure older devices also get new Android version.
Besides in last thread you also starting rambling about rockchip so I insist you don't start again. Go bitch at rockchip to give basic android support and upgrades.
Oh yes. I reported some Kodi 17 problems (while SPMC is good) on Rockchip and 6.0.1 Cyanogenmod build and I was ignored. Cyanogenmod is good firmware, but still no any further response.
(2016-05-13, 11:04)Martijn Wrote: We are already awake, we don't care 10c about rockchip or those users. We care for the support burden we as team have to carry.

I take it you are talking as a KODI representative and that:
  1. KODI or it's members do not care about quite a large portion of the KODI users base,
  2. v17 will not support any pre Android 5 devices, including your own Sponsers Minix, nvidia and Wetek, who might not have the skill-set to upgrade their devices? (i.e. Minix Neo X8-H is but one device that comes to mind...)
  3. and some Minix boxes running on the Rockchip design will be excluded?

As a last point, my writing is not a "bitch" about rockchip/KODI, but more an informative "question" directed at the hardware/software benefiting anyone invested in the current technology. Your attacking attitude and snide answer aimed at me is very worrisome and will be read as defensive by your own...
If so, Minix, nvidia and wetek are not going to be the sponsors any longer. But you are wrong, most of them have 5.1 and shield is even on Marshmallow
I would also just like to mention that:
1. I do not condone piracy,
2. I have forced firmware writers to clean up code where piracy was found,
3. I believe that Android to be the way of the future where it comes to delivering content.

I have used, supported and assisted KODI and derivative builds for many years and refuse to be flipped off.

AND THAT is my 10c
Seriously are you delusional ?

You expect volunteer Kodi developers to go out of their way to support a Rockchip platform that uses Non Standard Application programming interfaces and will burden Kodi developers workload when Kodi does not even have an official Android code maintainer.

I suspect they don't gives a Rat's Arse about Kodi if developers cannot even get their source code for the rkffplayer out of them.

Its very very common for these cheap Asian Android Rockchip devices manufacturers and sellers to:

- outright lie in their marketing propaganda material, saying that everything just works out of the box.
- provide shit Firmware, that goes unsupported
- upgrade Hardware every 6 months when a new Android OS comes out and that leaves previous generation Hardware owners behind
- take your money and run, because they are better at Marketing than actual after sales support.

So buyer beware basically when it comes to Rockchip CrapChip !

No matter what chip - currently no one wants to do Android development for kodi in team kodi ... so as of now v17 does not work reliable on any device -> fair enough, right?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-13, 11:50)giaur Wrote: If so, Minix, nvidia and wetek are not going to be the sponsors any longer. But you are wrong, most of them have 5.1 and shield is even on Marshmallow

Team Kodi could drop Android all together and WeTek would still be a sponsor. The sales of boxes that use OpenELEC pre-installed justify the investment of $10,000 USD a year to helping the project. Heck, they'd like to give the project even more money.

The Android 5 requirement not a problem. WeTek updates are as easy as one click. All WeTek hardware has Android 5 images available.

The Nvidia shield already is on Android 5+

I'm fairly sure Minix provides Android 5+ for their boxes. Minix devices with Rockchip SoCs will continue to work with Vanilla Kodi, just without passthrough support (all other features still work 100% on Rockchip). Minix has their own fork for Rockchip-specific tweaks.

So yeah, no fucks are given for this. The sponsors are happy with Kodi.

If anything, there is hope for Rockchip to clean up their act, because Intel is investing heavily in Rockchip. That will hopefully put major pressure on Rockchip to support Google's standards. Did I mention Intel loves Kodi? They might not be a sponsor, but they really do love Kodi.
(2016-05-15, 04:49)Ned Scott Wrote: <SNIP>
If anything, there is hope for Rockchip to clean up their act, because Intel is investing heavily in Rockchip. That will hopefully put major pressure on Rockchip to support Google's standards. Did I mention Intel loves Kodi? They might not be a sponsor, but they really do love Kodi.

Ned, you are the first person who dared say anything positive regarding Rockchip.

The investment from Intel's side into Rockchip has been like a breath of fresh air and you can already see the positive spin on the investment when you look at the feature-rich releases from box-builders. I have personally seen makers like Ugoos and Zidoo start working on new code and I wonder if this is not a direct result of Intel's investment. There is also the other positive side of the Intel beast and that is no-one can (or must) ignore the "Intel-on-a-stick" business. They, Intel, seem to have fallen into favor with Android on this one! (And Intel is looking closely at the Rockchip chips for these devices!)

AND, we know of Intel's personal love in KODI Wink

Thank you again for not just making this a question of blowing a raspberry into the wind, but putting a positive spin onto it. Makes for good reading...
(2016-03-05, 16:45)jjd-uk Wrote: Yes, just look at how Nvidia got Kodi working with the Shield, they've made use of the standard Android API's and where where something was missing they worked with Google to get it added, thus requiring zero stuff from us specific to the Shield.

The thing is that it'd seem more acceptable to say that, for example, there's no time or hands to integrate those patches or fix side effects. I don't see how it would break stuff on amlogic if it's correctly integrated for rockship, that's just an "if" to put somewhere. As they are, the arguments from team kodi seem to contradict both open source and media players philosophies at once... What remains is, "we never get out of standards - except for some Californian company".
For sure Rockship are probably to blame (but I saw no proof of that), but Zidoo's work is even more valuable then.
Don't take me wrong, I understand the arguments, but it is also probably not the greatest thing for everyone if kkodi'snumber of forks keep growing...
Why resurrect a year old thread?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Cause some have no idea what they are talking about it seems
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
...I don't think I've ever used this internet shorthand but it's about the only response merited so here goes - LOL.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no RK support (Rockchip)?1