Solved Why no RK support (Rockchip)?
This discussion is pointless. Kodi team response is loud and clear - they won't help with support for 3rd party socs. I can only suggest for Rockchip users to ignore latest kodi build. While Kodi 16 works actually fine, recent Kodi 17 is crappy on Rockchip hardware, you won't get any hw decoding at all. Nothing but laggy video.

After all, we have many others video players in Play Store, all of them are fine with Rockchip, so you can use them. For Kodi, Android = Qualcomm and Shield, we need to live with that. I see no reason to blame Kodi devs, they have decided to support hardware they want to support, you are free to grab sources and make your fork if you want (Zidoo did that).
(2017-03-21, 22:46)giaur Wrote: This discussion is pointless. Kodi team response is loud and clear - they won't help with support for 3rd party socs. I can only suggest for Rockchip users to ignore latest kodi build. While Kodi 16 works actually fine, recent Kodi 17 is crappy on Rockchip hardware, you won't get any hw decoding at all. Nothing but laggy video.

After all, we have many others video players in Play Store, all of them are fine with Rockchip, so you can use them. For Kodi, Android = Qualcomm and Shield, we need to live with that. I see no reason to blame Kodi devs, they have decided to support hardware they want to support, you are free to grab sources and make your fork if you want (Zidoo did that).

YAWN

If RK followed standards then guess what they would also be supported. Go whine to them. You seem to be under the mistaken premise that the Kodi devs actually owe you (or RK) something when they really don't, they do this because they love to do it and wouldn't really care if most people stopped using it, after all it's not as if it pays any bills.
With Windows every GPU vendor has to support DXVA to get hardware acceleration, you don't see Intel, AMD and Nvidia each producing their own independent and incompatible video decode API's. Frankly the situation on Android has been a mess, and as volunteers who don't get paid to do this we are fed up with dealing with this fragmented mess when the Android OS has necessary API's built in, much like Windows with Mediacodec taking the place of DXVA for Android.

Those other video player apps refered to are most likely paid apps generating profit for their devs, so it's worth them investing the effort if it generates more app sales.
As this thread was last posted on almost a year ago, and we are rehashing the same arguments, I am going to close it. If someone wants to create a thread with a fresh perspective[1] on this they are welcome to. Also people who argue that Kodi should develop hacks for bad manufacturers, please remember the devs do this for fun, not profit or to lift user numbers.

[1] eg an announcement by rockchip that they are now complying with android APIs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just to say that Amlogic was in the exact same situation than Rockchip 1 year ago but *they* invested engineering resources to make their SoC android API compliant.

Bottom-line : if rk doesn't actually want to invest to follow android standard, they should just leave the market (which I actually think they're trying to do, see chromebook)
Yes got to agree with Koying.

After playing around with a new MINIX AML S912 U9 today - Audio and Video playback all work, with Kodi refresh switching and proper, smooth video sync. (excluding known widespread Android Kodi Krypton deinterlacing issues)

Standard Android API's are definitely the way forward.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no RK support (Rockchip)?1