5.0.8 build backup transferable ?
Hi ,

I have a microSD card with Openelec 5.0.8.

I have populated the Movie library using the scraper.

I have created a backup of the library as well now.

I have had to do the above due to a corrupted file on the SD card so I had to start from scratch as above.

I have another SD card with 5.0.8 on it as a back up. My question : is it possible to transfer the backup on the first SD card and copy it to the backup SD card , and restore on the second SD card so that it is a "back up in-waiting" ? (If that made sense.)

It's the 3rd time that I have suffered a corrupt file and having to start from scratch , such a pain getting all the thumbnails back. I am using an external powered HDD and this corruption of file still happened.

Anyway , any help with the above question would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Download the Win32DiskImager software and create an image file of the SD card you want to backup, then copy that image file to another storage device such as the other SD card. To confirm that it worked you could always try burning the image to a different SD card, though remember that by doing so you will most likely erase any data on the target SD card.

Have a look at this step by step guide http://computers.tutsplus.com/articles/h...-mac-59294
Thanks Nooryani, I've ran into another problem.

I have managed to copy an image of the SD card (SanDisc Ultra class 10 8gb) to my PC.

I am trying to write it to another SD card (Toshiba class 4 8gb).

Unfortunately I am getting the following write error :

"Not enough space on disk: Size : 15523840 sectors Available: 15488000 sectors Sector size : 512"

Is there a SD card incompatibility or is there a workaround ? Thanks.
You've run into a common problem.
Not all 8GB cards are the same size.
If the card you're writing to is a slightly smaller than the card you took the image from it just doesn't work. Win32diskimager won't write at all, and even if it did you'd be missing the end of the last (ext4 / storage) partition so the new card wouldn't work.
I get around this by formatting sd cards manually, always leaving a space at the end so the bit chopped off the image is empty, unpartitioned space. And I use USBit rather than win32diskimage - it has an option to truncate images if they don't fit.
The easiest way for you now is probably to use openelec's built-in backup, copy that image to your pc - then install openelec on the new card, boot that card, move the backup to it and restore.
If you use the smaller card and take images from that one you'll be able to restore them to your original card.

Another option would be to re-size the ext4 partition on your working card (make it a little smaller), take an image on the pc with USBit, and then restore that image (checking 'allow truncated thingumajigs') to the new card.
Not sure what the easiest way is to do that in windows though, it's a long time since I've done it. Something like mini tool partition wizard free might work.
Hi thanks but can you explain exactly how I copy the backup image to my PC ? And how to move the back up to the fresh install of Openelec ?
Open window in explorer (not internet explorer!) on your pc.
In the address bar write \\192.168.1.xx (whatever the IP of your pi is) and hit return.
You'll see a bunch of folders - look in 'Backup' and you'll see your backup.
Copy and paste to your pc.
And the same in reverse to restore.
Unfortunately I have no network connection. I am only able to tether to a mobile phone for Internet access.

Is it possible to transfer the backup any other way please ?
I believe the best way to do that would be to connect the sdcard to a computer with Linux since Windows can't natively read the file system. I'm sure there are ways to read the file system from Windows, though you'll have to Google it. I found this, though I have not tried it myself http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-t...m-windows/
Thank you for the link.

In the interim I have purchased another SD card which is SanDisc 8gh class 10 and I am hoping will be identical to the existing one in size.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.0.8 build backup transferable ?0