• 4(current)
[Release] Meta video search addon
I love Meta. Works so slick. I am not sure if this is a good place to ask for players, feel free to delete this post if it is not proper.

I tried to write a player for Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222347
but can't make sense of it at all.

Is there anyone who knows how to write a player that could do this please?

Thanks
No, it's not a good place to ask.

As with other add-ons in this area, we allow the threads for the add-on itself, but not for any content especially if the add-on could be used for "less than legal" sources (even if that's against the authors wishes and desires).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@DarrenHill I fail to see why providing support for adding other legal addons is disallowed. If an addon is white-listed by Kodi (such as that CBC addon he requested) then it should be allowed to discuss anything related to it. Meta is intended for legal use only, there are tons of legal addons that can be added to it. I personally use Netflix and several other addons that provide content from official stations in my region. If you limit my power to support legal usage you only encourage piracy and I'm sure that's not what you, me or any other member wants.
From experience with other similar add-ons (for example Pulsar/Quasar), allowing discussions about legit plug-ins inevitably leads to requests for less than legit ones.

You are right that this particular case would be allowable (and is its own add-on anyway). Whilst Meta is intended for legal use only, can you guarantee that it's not possible to use it for illegal uses? It's such add-ons that can be used either way that we have to draw a manageable line somewhere or else we would probably not allow discussion and promotion of them here at all.

By all means if you think your situation is different, please make a case and we can review it to see where that line should be drawn. But what we will not accept is a thread that just degenerates into requests for illegal providers or sources in violation of the rules.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-03-14, 19:01)DarrenHill Wrote: But what we will not accept is a thread that just degenerates into requests for illegal providers or sources in violation of the rules.

I agree but CBC is legal and in the Kodi repo. That is why I asked. It might not even get picked up by someone who can do it but I hope it can be done.

Thanks
@DarrenHill

No, I can't tell people how to use the addon but encouraging legal usage and refusing to provide support for illegal usage does help and unlike torrent addons that are mainly used for piracy this addon actually has a lot of potential for legal usage. I understand why the quasar thread is full of bad posts, but I hoped the situation here is different (and such posts would be rare) because there actually is a lot of legal usage. If you would please consider a test run to allow such discussion for a limited time it would be great. The rules will be clear and posted in bold on the OP and every now and then by me: Do NOT request support for adding new meta-players except for addons listed in the officiak Kodi repository.

I personally would welcome the discussion (that already exists) in the quasar thread for developing legal providers but I have never been a moderator so I might be wrong. Bottom line, I won't move the discussion to any other forum because this is the only forum that is strict against piracy. So we are left with a discussion for the addon itself here, no discussion of legal usage anywhere and unfortunately talks about illegal usage on other forums. I understand your point but this situation makes me feel uncomfortable. Regardless, many thanks for keeping this forum clean.
Having now looked in more detail at your add-on, I'm seeing movies that are "in theatre" such as Deadpool being offered, plus various TV shows which I don't know of as being freely available. This was just installing your add-on without adding any additional sources or providers.

So I have to ask why this isn't a violation of the forum rules (wiki)? The fact these are streams that do not appear to initially play is raising red flags to me. If you cannot justify your case then this whole thread is liable for the bin.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-03-14, 20:37)DarrenHill Wrote: Having now looked in more detail at your add-on, I'm seeing movies that are "in theatre" such as Deadpool being offered, plus various TV shows which I don't know of as being freely available. This was just installing your add-on without adding any additional sources or providers.

So I have to ask why this isn't a violation of the forum rules (wiki)? The fact these are streams that do not appear to initially play is raising red flags to me. If you cannot justify your case then this whole thread is liable for the bin.

I am a user of this add-on and I use the "in theater" list to watch trailers from youtube and read the meta offered from tmdb. I do not see what is wrong with that but I am just a user. Maybe I don't understand why simply offering "meta" about movies and tv show is a violation of the rules...
If it's trailers then that's fine. They wouldn't load for me at all, which got me suspicious hence why I asked.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-03-14, 20:37)DarrenHill Wrote: Having now looked in more detail at your add-on, I'm seeing movies that are "in theatre" such as Deadpool being offered, plus various TV shows which I don't know of as being freely available. This was just installing your add-on without adding any additional sources or providers.

Can you explain exactly what forum rule this addon is breaking?
As I couldn't open the streams to check them, it appeared to be offering in theatre movies.

But if it's trailers then that's fine. This was the justification I was looking for.

Kodi Blog Posts
Is it necessary for meta to populate its "Movies" and "TV Shows" library folders with movie and tv id numbers rather than names and dates? I understand this is necessary for searching, but if it doesn't affect .strm and .nfo naming, then it might be beneficial to make the change for the sake of organisation. Additionally would you consider separate folders for movies, again for organisation, extrafanart etc.

Jeez.

The streams don't play because there are no streams. This add-on only provides meta-data. It is up to the user to write a 'player' for the streams for one of the many (legal) plugins available on Kodi. You are seeing movies that are 'in theatre' because it's pulling it's data from IMDB and TVDB to build it's "database" of meta-data.

This plugin doesn't stream anything.

This add-on works, for example, by allowing you to add .strm files of shows available in the Syfy add-on, and then play them from your library using said add-on.

You either don't understand how the add-on works or are too quick to throw piracy in people's face. No one is asking for or talking about anything to do with piracy, so why threaten to bin this thread?

It's a shame that a smart way to be able to use the library function with many legit add-ons that don't offer that functionality is being scrutinized unfairly.
If I was too quick the thread would have been binned, rather than asking for clarification. It's now clear to me exactly what the add-on is doing, as I've now said three times.

The request is open about whether to allow discussion of such providers. Personally I am supportive of this, but am discussing it with the other mods. But attitude like yours doesn't help the case.

Kodi Blog Posts
An attitude like mine? You came here with one intention: Throw piracy in the face of the developer. It's clear you didn't even read the first post which clearly states exactly what is going on with the add-on.

If we as a community can not share and talk about creating providers for legit plugins, then why not? That is punishing us because someone somewhere may ask for a piracy provider? That post can be reported and deleted. Why punish those that want to actually share and use the correct information in the correct way?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Meta video search addon3