Predictive tuning
Hi guys

I'm using predictive tuning in pvr.hts. Works splendidly. Slow zapping is the biggest disadvantage to 'digital channels' compared to the old analogue TVs.

Just two questions. In the pvr.hts settings I can set two variables:

a) limit the number of channels that are pre-tuned, and
b) also limit the amount of time that's being pre-tuned.

a)
I have 2 DVB-S tuners and 4 DVB-C tuners. So, in some cases I could pre-tune just 1 channel, in others perhaps up to 4 (assuming each channel is on a different mux). Is there any disadvantage to pre-tuning more channels than the tuners could supply? I don't seem to get warning that the tuners are unavailable. I think my descrambler (oscam with a smargo card reader for the satellite channels) allows up to 4 decryptions per 10 seconds.

b)
Is there any reason why I should limit the time of pre-tuning? My HTPC and tvheadend backend are fast enough to tune more than one channel simultaneously (otherwise I wouldn't pre-tune at all). But when I change channels I'd like it to be fast, whether it's after watching 5 seconds or 15 minutes! So should I simply set it to the max?

Thanks Big Grin
Also, just curious, I'm wondering in what order is tvheadend pre-tuning?

Say I'm zapping from channel 20 to 21 and I allow 3 pre-tuning channels. Would it pre-tune 22, 23 and 24? Or will it also tune a previous channel (say, 20)? Or is it dynamic, whether I'm zapping 'up' or 'down'?
(2016-03-08, 14:58)willemd Wrote: I'm using predictive tuning in pvr.hts. Works splendidly.
Where is this option? Can't find it in tvheadend client nor tvheadend server...
For future reference: This option is available in the tvheadend client in version Jarvis (16) and higher.
I tried using this option and it crashed Kodi (v16.1) as soon as I tried to tune any channel.
I'm only using the feature for 2 tuners. Still, I think it depends on whether you're zapping up or down. Because when you check the status page of TVH you can see that the pre-tuning adapts once you start going the other direction. But the feature could still be improved as it doesn't account for tuners which are recording at the time afaik.
I have disabled it now. I notice a serious slowdown when I'm changing channels from one satellite channel to another which isn't the next one. Since both tuners are blocked (and my decoding smartcard reader is also on the limit), I have to wait several seconds before tvheadend and OScam are ready for a new channel. So, it's a good idea, but you'd ideally need at least three tuners, or you'd have to always change channels by up/down.
I have 4 tuners and activated 3 tuners as predictive tuning and it works great.
With 3 tuners it will tunein the channel before and after.

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Predictive tuning0