Yellow square in corner pi3
Just got my case today. There's a little plastic lid on the Flirc-case, the rest is aluminum. The bottom is plastic. There's some good pictures here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238685

popcornmix: Did you apply the thermal pad to the heat slug on the case or to the chip on the RPi ?
(2016-03-10, 18:06)nooryani84 Wrote: popcornmix: Did you apply the thermal pad to the heat slug on the case or to the chip on the RPi ?

I think I just stuck the pad to the case and it's just pressing on Pi SoC rather than stuck to SoC.
I copied the fan trick from danny_ice and I now get a maximum temperature reading of 51c even in the most intensive scenes, before the fan it would easily hit 80c and then start to throttle. This also includes popcornmix' overclocks.

Really chuffed, thanks.
popcornmix, thx. Just need to get some tape for the sd card before i set it up Smile

The only issue with danny_ice's method is it isn't as visually appealing. Great results tho Smile
Is there way to have a small fan that will fit inside a case that maybe could be powered using the gpio pins?

Maybe have some setting that makes the fan start after certain temperature.

I suppose getting a flirc case be better option.
Crap. The thermal pad tore partially (not entirely) because the adhesive protector was not coming off. I put it on anyways. First picture shows the tear, second picture shows when I push it down. Not sure if it will work now or if it will be safe for the Pi. It wont damage the pi will it?
watch gallery
After a few hours of hearing the newly installed fan on my pi 3 I'm starting to think this may not be the solution I want, I'm a little worried it might not be good for the pi and I just cant cope with the noise.

I've had a look around for a modulating solution and found a site called chilledpi which uses a controller board called picoboard, there is a script called ChilledPi.py and I wondered if I could implement this in someway. It allows the fan to be controlled dependant on temperature so would only be in use when needed.

If not then unfortunately the fan may have to go.
(2016-03-10, 23:48)dave2 Wrote: After a few hours of hearing the newly installed fan on my pi 3 I'm starting to think this may not be the solution I want, I'm a little worried it might not be good for the pi and I just cant cope with the noise.

I've had a look around for a modulating solution and found a site called chilledpi which uses a controller board called picoboard, there is a script called ChilledPi.py and I wondered if I could implement this in someway. It allows the fan to be controlled dependant on temperature so would only be in use when needed.

If not then unfortunately the fan may have to go.

I don't know how much a picoboard costs but i would have thought it would be cheaper/easier to get an flirc case? I've just ordered one from the pi hut for £15
I've gone for one of those cases, hopefully it will make a difference Smile
Right i got my flirc case today, a 20min test of 1080p hevc and the temperature is hovering around 70c. With the fan it was around 60-65c. That is with the overclock settings below. The case has a black plastic cover attached to the top of it, i might try removing that to see if it makes any difference.

gpu_mem=320
gpu_mem_1024=320
disable_overscan=1
start_file=start.elf
fixup_file=fixup.dat
arm_freq=1350
gpu_freq=500
over_voltage=6
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100
If it's not going much over 70C then it should be fine, no?
yeah i think it should be okay, i just like messing with things
(2016-03-15, 18:19)danny_ice Wrote: yeah i think it should be okay, i just like messing with things
Fair enough. I can certainly relate to that.
(2016-03-15, 18:06)danny_ice Wrote: The case has a black plastic cover attached to the top of it, i might try removing that to see if it makes any difference.

Don't you mean the bottom? The metal part should be the top.
I think he means the top lid, though I don't think it will realy make any significant difference. There are 4 clips that attach the lid to the main metal case, so you would get 4 small vent holes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yellow square in corner pi30