Yellow square in corner pi3
This is happening to me to with h.265 1080p content, a heatsink hasn't made much of a difference unfortunately. I'm going to try keeping the lid of the case off and test again.
I don't really understand why people are using h.265 content on a Pi. Isn't it easier to find h.264 content?
You could always try a little fan? Is your pi overclocked at all?
I want to gradually migrate to h265 for the space savings, I have an odroid c1 which can play h265 fine, I prefer to use the pi because support and development is a lot better
Fair enough. Though as it stands now it seems as though 1080p hevc isnt a good idea.
just incase anyone wants to know, i've just modified a small pc fan and attached it over the opening of the case, the cpu temp is now hovering around 60c whilst playing 1080p hevc
(2016-03-08, 17:40)danny_ice Wrote: just incase anyone wants to know, i've just modified a small pc fan and attached it over the opening of the case, the cpu temp is now hovering around 60c whilst playing 1080p hevc

Out of curiosity, could you take some pictures of the set up? How did you attach the fan and is it audible? What size is the fan?
it isn't audible, the fan doesn't spin fast enough to make any noise, it is fast enough for what we need it to do though. i pulled the wires out of the connector and rearranged them to match the 5v and ground on the gpio connector. I think its a 60mm fan from and old amd heatsink. I've just stuck the fan on with blu-tack at the moment

(2016-03-08, 16:03)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 15:47)nooryani84 Wrote: The RPi Foundation have basically said you should avoid maxing out the CPU for sustained periods.

No, I don't believe they have.
They have said that cpu throttling may occur when CPU is maxed out for sustained periods.
If that is a problem then a heat sink is recommended.

For some use cases like compiling a large program, the cpu throttling is perfectly acceptable (your laptop almost certainly does the same thing),
but for something like HEVC playback, where the throttling may cause dropped frames, then a heat sink is a sensible option.

Ah. Well I'm worried about running emulators for PSX and also Kodi 1080p H.264, so I've bought a heatsink since I'm going to have it in the official case. Hopefully I won't need a different case or a fan.
(2016-03-08, 17:21)nooryani84 Wrote: Fair enough. Though as it stands now it seems as though 1080p hevc isnt a good idea.

I wouldn't say that, since I've added the fan I've overclocked it and 1080p hevc is decoding with no dropped frames and staying around 60degrees. I've only tested a couple of files but it looks really promising
(2016-03-08, 19:28)danny_ice Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 17:21)nooryani84 Wrote: Fair enough. Though as it stands now it seems as though 1080p hevc isnt a good idea.

I wouldn't say that, since I've added the fan I've overclocked it and 1080p hevc is decoding with no dropped frames and staying around 60degrees. I've only tested a couple of files but it looks really promising

Is the fan essential? I have read in other posts that the FLIRC case works quite well.

Also, has anyone found a maximum bitrate of 1080p hevc that the Pi 3 can handle?
It wasn't overheating once I had put the heatsink on but it was getting pretty close and that was without any overclock, but I'm assuming the overclock would push it over the edge without a fan. That flirc case looks good, I'm guessing it would be a lot better than the little heatsink I'm using
(2016-03-08, 23:49)Double L Wrote: Is the fan essential? I have read in other posts that the FLIRC case works quite well.
A fan isn't essential. I don't believe it is possible to get to thermal limiting in a FLIRC case (I have tried with very high overclock).

Quote:Also, has anyone found a maximum bitrate of 1080p hevc that the Pi 3 can handle?

It depends on many factors, but I can play ~10Mbit/s 1080p HEVC on overclocked Pi3 with no drops, which is very good quality.
What are your over clock settings popcornmix if youbdont mind me asking?
(2016-03-09, 00:09)danny_ice Wrote: What are your over clock settings popcornmix if youbdont mind me asking?

Code:
arm_freq=1300
gpu_freq=500
over_voltage=4
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
force_turbo=1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yellow square in corner pi30