• 2(current)
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-03-08, 23:34)wasguy Wrote: Ok, here are my needs:

- Netflix? SD okay or need HD? Need 4K? Netflix HD , Hulu HD, SD card
- Amazon? SD okay or need HD/4K? AMazon HD

I'm just going to cover this part, cause I just was searching for an all in one box myself and found, if your requirement is full HD of Netflix/Amazon/Hulu and surround sound, you must go with dedicated (licensed) hardware. There is no android box currently that does it "all" from my findings (killer Kodi experience with full hd and surround sound on the streaming services). WeTek does have Netflix running at 1080p, but they don't have the surround sound (netflix limitation). And they don't have amazon running HD at all.

So do what I did, get a powerful box for Kodi (well, I'm going to order the core if Wetek will ever restock it), and then something separate to do the online streaming services in full HD and surround sound (I got a amazon fire tv 2014 cause I needed the surround sound via optical, but if your surround sound is HDMI capable, you can do a fire tv stick or chromecast).

The core should do everything else in your list (I think).

HTH
Just to emphasize, the WeTek Play 2S remote has a headphone jack and keyboard on the back. There are no other remotes like this that I've been able to find. The closest is a Measy remote that has a headphone jack and keyboard, but it was only for mono audio.
Why only 1GB DDR3 RAM for the Hub? Seems like a step back from the Wetek Core in this regard.
(2016-03-08, 23:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Just to emphasize, the WeTek Play 2S remote has a headphone jack and keyboard on the back. There are no other remotes like this that I've been able to find. The closest is a Measy remote that has a headphone jack and keyboard, but it was only for mono audio.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/06/13/m...d-speaker/

I can't vouch for it, but it does have all of what you mentioned. I have the F10 Deluxe and love it, it's actually CNX-Software's recommended airmouse remote.
(2016-03-09, 00:01)mjbxx Wrote: Why only 1GB DDR3 RAM for the Hub? Seems like a step back from the Wetek Core in this regard.

Even in 2016, media players focusing on Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC, Netflix, HBO, and all of those apps, they don't realistically see any benefit in having more than 1 GB of RAM. It makes more sense when you are running multiple apps at the same time, have some light gaming going on, etc.

In other words, it keeps the cost down. If people need more RAM in a WeTek product, then there's the Play 2S. The Hub is meant to be an inexpensive and tiny solution that people can slap to the black of their TVs. It's like an HDMI stick without actually being in stick formfactor.
(2016-03-09, 00:03)bigjess007 Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 23:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Just to emphasize, the WeTek Play 2S remote has a headphone jack and keyboard on the back. There are no other remotes like this that I've been able to find. The closest is a Measy remote that has a headphone jack and keyboard, but it was only for mono audio.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/06/13/m...d-speaker/

I can't vouch for it, but it does have all of what you mentioned. I have the F10 Deluxe and love it, it's actually CNX-Software's recommended airmouse remote.

As far as I can tell, that's also just mono audio from the headphone jack. It's basically headset quality, like you would find for making phone calls.
@wasguy, based on your needs/wants, I'd recommend Amazon Fire TV. Why? Netflix HD and Amazon HD. You'll lose Google Play store, but get everything else on your list.

Kodi isn't on Amazon's app store, but best way is to sideload this app and get Kodi, keep it updated. More info on FireStarter here.

Now back to WeTek Smile ...
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
In the past the -H designator on AMLogic SoC's stood for HEVC I believe.

It seems now that the S9xx series is released this -H now stands for Dolby and DTS licenced SoC's, which cost more as AMLogic pay for the licences themselves and pass that cost on to the Dolby/DTS approved hardware sellers.

All S905 hardware currently on the market uses the AML S905 Revision B SoC. This is the one that displays 10-bit 4K HEVC picture issues with various 4K Dolby HEVC and Astra 4K 10-bit Sat. video test clips. Picture issues confirmed now by Noggin, Wesk05, WeTek and myself (on two S905 developer boards), Ned probably as well.

What does this mean for the end user of these Rev. B S905 SoC's. Probably not much at this present point in time if you are not playing certain 10-bit 4K HEVC content, which is actually very thin on the ground at the moment. It may be an issue sometime in the future if and when 10-bit 4K HEVC content becomes widely available.

If you were selling a 10-bit 4K DVB Tuner, media player like the WeTek Play2 series then it would be a big deal. Hence the wait for the fixed S905 Rev. C SoC from AMLogic.

I'm not that familiar with Microsoft Playready licences, it seems a bunch of DRM Video on Demand services use it as seen here:
https://www.microsoft.com/playready/partners/

(2016-03-08, 22:54)hdmkv Wrote: @wesk05, so S905 pre-revC has video + audio glitches with certain 10-bit 4K clips that have DD+? Lazy to try and find which types in those threads; got one you can point me to?

It is actually a clip that @droidelec shared with me in a PM. I hope that @droidelec doesn't mind me sharing that link with you.
(2016-03-09, 00:09)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 00:01)mjbxx Wrote: Why only 1GB DDR3 RAM for the Hub? Seems like a step back from the Wetek Core in this regard.

Even in 2016, media players focusing on Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC, Netflix, HBO, and all of those apps, they don't realistically see any benefit in having more than 1 GB of RAM. It makes more sense when you are running multiple apps at the same time, have some light gaming going on, etc.

In other words, it keeps the cost down. If people need more RAM in a WeTek product, then there's the Play 2S. The Hub is meant to be an inexpensive and tiny solution that people can slap to the black of their TVs. It's like an HDMI stick without actually being in stick formfactor.
Not buying this at all. I'll not touch a box with less than 2 GB DDR3 RAM. What's next? Go with 500 MB of RAM and then you're heading into that pathetic Roku OS territory. Do not skimp on available RAM to save a buck. Just add it and charge for it accordingly. Seriously, just look at the difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick regarding RAM and performance.
Hello Smile i'm new here, just registered. I've watched you for a long time especially the discussion about 4k issue of which @wrxtasy is talking about. I'm very interested in this because i will watch in near future 4k channel of Astra or other satellites providers when available. So if the revision C of Amlogic s905 is confirmed for wetek play 2 what about wetek hub? are there more information? Because i'm oriented with that device Smile thank you Smile
(2016-03-09, 07:54)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 00:09)Ned Scott Wrote:

Not buying this at all. I'll not touch a box with less than 2 GB DDR3 RAM. What's next? Go with 500 MB of RAM and then you're heading into that pathetic Roku OS territory. Do not skimp on available RAM to save a buck. Just add it and charge for it accordingly. Seriously, just look at the difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick regarding RAM and performance.

Okay...

Outside of Kodi, sure, more RAM is important for many games and other things. Kodi doesn't care if you have 1GB of RAM or 16GB of RAM. Some of the best Kodi players I've seen only have 1GB of RAM (Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, Google Nexus Player, various x86 systems, WeTek Core).

The difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV stick has nothing to do with the RAM and everything to do with the CPU. Even if the RAM was a noticeable factor, it should also be pointed out that the Fire TV stick only had 512MB of RAM for applications, and the other 512MB was for the GPU, due to the type of GPU in the stick.

If the rest of the hardware isn't taking advantage of the other specs then it doesn't really matter. It's like putting a jet engine in a scooter. These are purpose built appliances, not desktop computers or general use tablets/phones. What do you think the RAM will be used for in Kodi? At most, I can see people wanting more RAM for cache or live TV buffering to reduce wear on the internal memory. Other than that, I honestly don't think most people will ever see a difference.
(2016-03-09, 12:10)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 07:54)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 00:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Even in 2016, media players focusing on Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC, Netflix, HBO, and all of those apps, they don't realistically see any benefit in having more than 1 GB of RAM. It makes more sense when you are running multiple apps at the same time, have some light gaming going on, etc.

Okay...

Outside of Kodi, sure, more RAM is important for many games and other things. Kodi doesn't care if you have 1GB of RAM or 16GB of RAM. Some of the best Kodi players I've seen only have 1GB of RAM (Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, Google Nexus Player, various x86 systems, WeTek Core).

The difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV stick has nothing to do with the RAM and everything to do with the CPU. Even if the RAM was a noticeable factor, it should also be pointed out that the Fire TV stick only had 512MB of RAM for applications, and the other 512MB was for the GPU, due to the type of GPU in the stick.

If the rest of the hardware isn't taking advantage of the other specs then it doesn't really matter. It's like putting a jet engine in a scooter. These are purpose built appliances, not desktop computers or general use tablets/phones. What do you think the RAM will be used for in Kodi? At most, I can see people wanting more RAM for cache or live TV buffering to reduce wear on the internal memory. Other than that, I honestly don't think most people will ever see a difference.

i'm NOT quote..
Which is the difference of price for manufacture from 1GB or 2GB of RAM? 3-5 $? .. less
1GB it's good for linux/openelec system
Android NEED 2GB of RAM... no way
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
looun, belive me device is so snappy and responsive Smile
@droidelec
Can we get confirmation the S905-H in the WeTek Hub is a Revision C SoC ?

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11