WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews
(2016-03-09, 07:54)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 00:09)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 00:01)mjbxx Wrote: Why only 1GB DDR3 RAM for the Hub? Seems like a step back from the Wetek Core in this regard.

Even in 2016, media players focusing on Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC, Netflix, HBO, and all of those apps, they don't realistically see any benefit in having more than 1 GB of RAM. It makes more sense when you are running multiple apps at the same time, have some light gaming going on, etc.

In other words, it keeps the cost down. If people need more RAM in a WeTek product, then there's the Play 2S. The Hub is meant to be an inexpensive and tiny solution that people can slap to the black of their TVs. It's like an HDMI stick without actually being in stick formfactor.
Not buying this at all. I'll not touch a box with less than 2 GB DDR3 RAM. What's next? Go with 500 MB of RAM and then you're heading into that pathetic Roku OS territory. Do not skimp on available RAM to save a buck. Just add it and charge for it accordingly. Seriously, just look at the difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick regarding RAM and performance.

Okay...

Outside of Kodi, sure, more RAM is important for many games and other things. Kodi doesn't care if you have 1GB of RAM or 16GB of RAM. Some of the best Kodi players I've seen only have 1GB of RAM (Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, Google Nexus Player, various x86 systems, WeTek Core).

The difference between the Fire TV and Fire TV stick has nothing to do with the RAM and everything to do with the CPU. Even if the RAM was a noticeable factor, it should also be pointed out that the Fire TV stick only had 512MB of RAM for applications, and the other 512MB was for the GPU, due to the type of GPU in the stick.

If the rest of the hardware isn't taking advantage of the other specs then it doesn't really matter. It's like putting a jet engine in a scooter. These are purpose built appliances, not desktop computers or general use tablets/phones. What do you think the RAM will be used for in Kodi? At most, I can see people wanting more RAM for cache or live TV buffering to reduce wear on the internal memory. Other than that, I honestly don't think most people will ever see a difference.

Messages In This Thread
RE: WeTek's - AMLogic Mediaplayer Invasion - CabSat 2016 - Dubai - by Ned Scott - 2016-03-09, 12:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Play2 - 4K PVR - HD Audio - Dual Boot - Specs & Reviews11